POOH POOH IN PORT

ROB MCINTOSH

I was sitting here (not sh@%*&^# here) thinking after I read the post on saving port, and was wondering if the ? was asked WHAT ABOUT SEPTIC for all these condo's that are going in. I was told that the pollution plant on lighthouse rd. will not be able to handle all the waste so it would have to be revamped or moved to a new location closer to the port side. Just think guy's wouldn't that make a great hatchery we could raise anything from eye's to baitfish, it has it's own water intake, the pools are inside and outside,and it has a 10" pipe running out to the lake 3 miles out for release's . WOW :Gonefishing: ROB

after a good cleaning

i dont htink the GnF members would want to clean that one so definately pursue the I NEED COMMUNITY HOURS TO GRADUATE PEOPLE ... lol

but that is a fantastic idea IF they decided to rebuild rob!

Rob it was mentioned at the meeting but the concern wasn't the treatment plant rather the pumping station. It was said that it was due for a revamping so reguardless of the new developement it will be done to the tune of 11 litres/second more volume. Get in touch with the City for more details or go to the PDVC website and drop them an email. www.portdalhousie.ca I find them quick to respond to questions.

Great idea btw. You could open something like that as a tourist attraction. I'd pay to tour a hatchery.

Guest Steelheader

The Niagara River Angler's Association over the border in Lewiston runs a pretty impressive hatchery program. Of course they have 1000 members and some rich guy donated the land. If anyone has any connections over there, they might be a valuable information resource.

www.niagarariveranglers.com

Steelheader:Looked into that many years ago, we were looking at swapping fish you no 1000 bows for 1000 eye's but the mnr got involved and a permit was required to transport the fish, when I told them we have a permit to transport fish for stocking they then said oh it would be a problem at the border and it was left at that, I thought the fish may need a passport and picture to get thru. But yes they do have a great opperation it would be some were to go thats close to get an idea but we may be jumping the gun here, first we have to find out if and when this could happen and then take it from there.If you guy's are realy interested in a hatchery I can make arangements to visit the two hatchery's we get our fish from when the time come's, and we allway's need help to collect the eggs for the hatchery from the river's , remember what I said about working member's well that is just one of the perk's of becoming a member. this may intrest Bigfish I'm still looking for an MNR leaision to be a gobetween from mnr to G&F. This is an apointed position by the exectutive and the pres. also great pr for the G&F so you guy's know what has to be done . Rob

Perch-man: go up to top general forum topic st.cath G&F meet it explains there or come down nov 29/04 meet at the clubhouse 61 lighthouse rd. (boatlaunch side) lighthouse rd is off lakeshore rd before ontario st or after if your comming from the QEW 15.00 1 year membership. our meetings are the 4th monday of the month , the 29th was set due to me being on afternoons. ps this club is in ST CATHARINES ONT. Rob

If you're looking for info on raising walleye, or are looking for people with at least a bit of experience with it, the dunnville,port colbourne, and stevensville conservation clubs raise walleye through pond culture. They collect their eggs each year in dunnville at the dam. Other than that, if you want a good read, there is a book titled "fish hatchery management" (piper et al), it is the bible of fish culture and has endless info on walleye culture, and even baitfish culture. This area you talk about, wouldn't it be a bit acidic seeing as it's a wastewater outflow??

Kevin: You are absolutly right about the temps, when we stock port we have to check the harbour 4 or 5 times the week before we stock, but this whole isue on a hatchery is just talk for now so I'm sure all this would be looked at first hand before we even got the ok, and as far as the pipe goes you would have to adjust your temps in your holding tanks before you let them go . I have been thru this a few years back and it would be nice if it finally happened. Rob

Guest bigfish1965
Also, when stocking, temps have to be within a close range (hatchery to release water) if that pipe runs 3 miles out, i'm sure that would have to be a large temp difference?

3624[/snapback]

That pipe is an outflow...an intake can be set up in the creek next to the plant

Archived