Queenston today

F,O,G

got 2 today one bow around 5lbs and this laker

laketrout011.jpg

3584[/snapback]

Nice fish Rob. I have to start trying on shore more and trying to stop relying on my Dad to go out on the boat. From what I've seen theres alot of days where the guys on shore outfish the guys in the boats.

Guest dannyboy

Info for Gill Finnigans is in the 'Shooting the Breeze' section under 'Tackle Shops and Launches' of this board.

Dan

'Gill Finnigan's Tackle

Niagara's Newest Fishing shop.

Gill Finnagan's has a full array of equipment and tackle with a real eye for Niagara fishing and what Niagara anglers need. The areas best musky lure collection as well as everything you need for salmon, bass and everything in between.

4400 Queen Street

Niagara Falls

Gill Finigan's fall hours

tues, weds 9-5 thurs fri 9-7 sat 9-5 and sun 9-1 closed mondays'

Guest ricoboxing

would it be worth it to use spoons and crankbaits, or would i be wasting my time? all i have is a baitcasting rod and a 5'6" light action spinning rod so i cant float fish. i need to get out man!!

Info for Gill Finnigans is in the 'Shooting the Breeze' section under 'Tackle Shops and Launches' of this board.

Dan

'Gill Finnigan's Tackle

Niagara's Newest Fishing shop.

Gill Finnagan's has a full array of equipment and tackle with a real eye for Niagara fishing and what Niagara anglers need. The areas best musky lure collection as well as everything you need for salmon, bass and everything in between.

4400 Queen Street

Niagara Falls

Gill Finigan's fall hours

tues, weds 9-5 thurs fri 9-7 sat 9-5 and sun 9-1 closed mondays'

3671[/snapback]

:huh: Spoons, spinners & crankbaits can work great. Especially this time of year when there's a lot of fresh fish & bait in the river. Often times they can out produce roe & streamers. You can fish them 1 of 2 ways; you can drift them like u would roe or streamers & just hold the lure at the end of the drift a little longer (this method is a little harder to do with a shorter rod though). The 2nd method is simply just casting out & use the countdown method e.g. cast out & count to 2, try this for 4 or 5 casts & if nothing, cast out & count to 5. Again try this for a few casts, then try counting to 8, then 10 & 12 & so on. Do this until u find what depth the fish are at. Don't forget to try various retrieves as well. Slow-rolling, stop & go & burning the lure in can all work better at times than a simple consistent retrieve. For example; Burning the lure in (retrieveing the lure in quickly) can work great for Browns that are busting bait near the surface.

Guest ricoboxing

thanks for the info man. guess my fishing season aint over yet !! woohooo

would these techniques still work later on in the winter?

:huh: Spoons, spinners & crankbaits can work great.  Especially this time of year when there's a lot of fresh fish & bait in the river.  Often times they can out produce roe & streamers.  You can fish them 1 of 2 ways; you can drift them like u would roe or streamers & just hold the lure at the end of the drift a little longer (this method is a little harder to do with a shorter rod though).  The 2nd method is simply just casting out & use the countdown method e.g.  cast out & count to 2, try this for 4 or 5 casts & if nothing, cast out & count to 5.  Again try this for a few casts, then try counting to 8, then 10 & 12 & so on.  Do this until u find what depth the fish are at.  Don't forget to try various retrieves as well.  Slow-rolling, stop & go & burning the lure in can all work better at times than a simple consistent retrieve.  For example; Burning the lure in (retrieveing the lure in quickly) can work great for Browns that are busting bait near the surface.

3678[/snapback]

:huh: Although things slow down as far as spoons are concerned, they will still work throughout the winter, especially if the fish are on a minnow bite. Hardware really starts to get going again in the spring, especially upriver in spots like the Glen & the Whirlpool.

Archived