Welland Canal

RJR

Just got back from the canal, fished in Dain City near the start line for the rowing club and didn't catch a thing but a few light bites. Then we went to the north side of townline road with the same results. There is always tomorrow, maybe try sugarloaf harbour. Anybody else been out this way. btw there was 4 to 5 inches of ice.

Guest FisherNick

Just came back from Ramy's bend and Sugar Loaf.

It was my first time fishing boat places. Ramy's bend was nice, easy walk, ice was decent.

I caught about 20 smelts, and about a dozen perch. Perch were caught on pin heads, smelt were on both pin heads and maggots.

Sugar loaf was a different story. The general concensus there was bad fishing. Everyone that I asked had no fish to show. I only stayed about an hour as the winds were to strong without a hut.

It was a nice day, and I may return tommorow to try my luck with my buddy (either there or dunnville).

Thanks for the directions again guys (you know who you are) ;):D

Guest FisherNick

They were great thanks.

Ill likely be there too, stop by and say hi.

I was the only one out there today in a bright red floater suit.

Guest vidarling

Hey All,

Was at Rameys Saturday night for about an hour and a half 5-6:30.

Caught 20-25 smelts. Chartreuse worked best with smelt eyes being the best bait. Minnows and mousies worked as well.

Was nice to be out with the kids. :lol:

Ian

Guest Bubba14

Going out this aft with my son and one of his friends. Who can I expect to see out there (Ramey's Bend)? Plus, is there anywhere in Port to get minnows on Sunday? I understand Erie Tracker is closed. I may have to make due with wax worms.

Guest FisherNick

Just got home from Ramy's again.

Was a beautiful day to be on the ice, very little wind and tons of sun.

Got about 50 smelts, and a handful of perch, and my second and third ever mud puppies...

Are they good eating, I just gutted them and washed them :lol: hehe just kidding (let them go right away). One of them put up a great fight I thought I had a pike on.

Tons of people there again today. I have a feeling this was my last time getting on the ice this season as the next week will be pretty warm, and Im working/school until Friday.

Oh yeah the ice was nice and thick (at least 6" where I was) and I got there at 8:00 left at 1:45.

Guest Bubba14

Hit Ramey's Bend today in Port Colborne with my son and one of his friends. Got there around 1:30 and fished till 4:30...with one lousy 6" perch! :lol: Could see the smelt swimming just below the ice but they would only swim up, inspect the bait and off they'd go. Nobody really catching anything except one guy who was using pork fat?!?!?!, and FisherNick I guess! B) Was a beautiful day to be out, no matter how the fishing was. :D

FisherNick, where were you??

Tried the canal in Dain City again today, did better than yesterday, caught about a 12 perch but only kept 3 that were over 9 inches. Great day to be out on the ice, lots of sun and minimal wind. Must have been 50 people out there today spread out from the bridge to the point. Anybody else who was there coment on their results.

Guest FisherNick

Hit Ramey's Bend today in Port Colborne with my son and one of his friends. Got there around 1:30 and fished till 4:30...with one lousy 6" perch! :angry2: Could see the smelt swimming just below the ice but they would only swim up, inspect the bait and off they'd go. Nobody really catching anything except one guy who was using pork fat?!?!?!, and FisherNick I guess! :angry2: Was a beautiful day to be out, no matter how the fishing was. :D

FisherNick, where were you??

I was behind the orange hut today. I got there early though.

Were you guys using whole minnows or part? There was also a 2' depth dif. where the big crowd was and where I was fishing, although I didnt see any smelts up that high, mine all came a foot or so off the bottom.

I used about a third minnow for smelt, perch were caught on whole minnows on the bottom.

Better luck next time Bubba

Guest Bubba14

I don't remember the orange hut. I was in the area where it narrows a bit. Just saw on another site...'Getting Hooked', that Binbrook was open this weekend!

Guest FisherNick

Well today was another story for me.

In 31/2 hours I didnt get a fish, (well I actually lost a smelt at the hole). I was using old frozen minnows and think that may have been the difference. Others were there and getting them.

I did get another three mud puppies today. Wow that place must be loaded with them. I wonder if that had anything to do with the lack of fish at my first set of holes. Do they eat smelts?

Well anyhow I think this time for real it will be the official end of my hard water season. Unless I head to Port D tommorow and try the marina. ;)

Oh yeah I met some one from the board today but cant remeber his name, nice to meet you anyhow.

Good fishing

Nick

Thanks for the report FisherNick and on the mud puppies

I think it's probably a good thing so many are being caught. My grandfather always

tells me about how they use to catch them all the time back in the 30's and 40's

when the lakes were clean. Also they must eat smelt if they hit the shinners no?

Hopefully they are eating the gobies to.

Archived