How Well Do You Know Niagara?

Guest chilli

Yes this one is in the Niagara Region. It once again has a history lesson behind it so if you guess it try and give a little bit of historical significance.

where8.jpg

Hint is in yesterdays post.

Yes this one is in the Niagara Region. It once again has a history lesson behind it so if you guess it try and give a little bit of historical significance.

where8.jpg

Hint is in yesterdays post.

3704[/snapback]

looks like the water taxi or ferry in Port Robinson.Put into service because of a bridge and ship collision in the late 70's I think

Yes that's right. I stumbled upon it this year while looking for shore access to the old channel. Do you know why it's a "Port"? One normally thinks of a Port as being at the lake where a canal ends or begins. I talked to the guy running the ferry he and explained that it was because that's where the canal once ended. The boats would then enter the chippiwa creek and proceed to the upper river.

Here's a link to the story about how the bridge went down.

Port Robinson Bridge

Also did anyone read yesterdays tribune? It featured a story about the upcoming 175th anniversary of the Welland Canal opening on November 30th. Thus the hint yesterday 1829 in Fishin with smerch for perch. There are alot of upcoming events to celebrate this. If your in the area, stop in and talk to the guy. He's got a dream job but he needs tackle.

ferry%20hours.jpg

Archived