electric motor question

Guest gunner

Hello Im looking at getting a new electric bow mount motor for my boat, It a 17 foot sea nymph with interior layed out like a bass boat with a 50hp motor. Right now I have one with 28pds of thrust and its not enough. When I was at dalhousie a while ago it wasn't enough to move me. Question is how much thrust should my next motor have

I would recmmend the most your boat and your budget can handle. Depending if you have room for a 12 volt or a 24 volt system. 24 volt would give you more power that would last longer should you have a problem with the main motor. I have 67lbs on my bassboat and that would be more than enough for you boat. This is another place not to scrimp on the $$.

Guest Fishingnut

Hey Gunner, I just went through the same thing so here is my opinion. I have a 17' Legend that came with the Minn Kota 50PD. I found that fishing in the lake and low current situations it was fine. Even in stronger currents like the drifts at Queenston or the Peace Bridge it was adequate for boat positioning. However, there is no way it would pull upstream. I found this was a pain for trying to free up snags...having to start the gas motor to get back in front of it. Also, was not very good at trolling situations when you're in shallow water trying not to spook fish....not enough go power into stiff wind or even slight current.

I traded in for the 24 volt 74lb thrust and it was the best thing I ever did. Response is super quick and it will pull upstream in most of the drifts I fish in the Niagara (note top speed with my boat is around 3 mph so this is the speed of current it'll hold). My opinion, if money is a factor the 50 lb will be a decent upgrade. If you can afford to go to the 74 you will not regret it.

Hope this helps.

Rob

A 50 lb moves my boat efforlessly ( 17 ft Lund) 74 Requires 2 deep cycle batteries

more weight. I ran into a guy in Queenston who went up river to get to his snag

causing 3 boats including myself to pull out of the drift. Unless your using gold for weight Why would you incovience everyone? What does a hook cost? I fished Sunday in 40k gusts with no problem Its all about boat control not driving up river.

You want your boat to match bottom current. Plus the 74lb is $ 400 more not including battery.

Yeah two batteries is out so 12 volt it is. The reason I would like a motor that would pull upcurrent. A couple weeks ago my big motor quit and I had a hell of a time getting back to launch ramp

You can get a 67 lb thrust in a 12/24 volt motorguide. personaly, i'd rather have more than not enough, same thing for your outboard, put the max on and you won't ever worry. check the ads on other boards as i'm sure you will find a good used one if you can't buy new. good luck, John.

ps, is this gunner, the latvian fishermen?

Archived