Need a littlel help....

mobyclick

Gents,

We're coming down from Waterloo again...(I should just move down next to the damn river since I spend almost all of my free time there...) lol!!! Any way, I was hoping to prevail upon any of your knowledge and experience when it comes to forecasting conditions in the of the areas I mentioned in the title of my post. Fishing reports are greatfully accepted too, of course, but I have been moderately successful at Port D and at Queenston (Thanks to fullofgas and his advice as well as his streamers).

Which would be the better place to try on Tuesday???? How would you predict the conditions at Port D vs. how the river will be based on the weather we've had over the last few days??? Has any one had much luck at the pool or the glen lately??? My friend Pete and I would love to try the pool again, but we haven't been down to that area since last Dec/Jan.

I'm just trying to hopefully, in the future, be able make an edjumicated :) guess on the conditions so I can monitor the weather patterns from up here in Waterloo and be accurate with my own forecasts for water clarity, levels, ice flow etc... so we can make the best of our trips down to the river. :blahblah1:

Thanks for any help/reports you can lend my way, I'll post how we do on Wednesday, with a report on how all the conditions were so you can see how accurate you've been with your forecast!!!! :blush:

Guest Gill Finigan

I was down the lower river this morning. The river is nice and brown again, going to be a few days to clear. I'd try Port D tomorrow, It will have better vis then the lower.

To try and predict lower water vis. Check winds on lake Erie for a few days before you come. Winds from the West or South West are bad for water clarity. Usually 20-30km winds for a full day will mess the river up

Guest Steelheader

Gill, do you find the fish start hitting as the water clears, and then slows down again when it's like gin?

We used to find that was the case on the smaller streams. The day after a rain it was chocolate milk, but then 2-4 days afterwards was when you had the best fishing. When the water really cleared up fish got spooky and slowed down again.

Does that pattern happen on the Niagara too?

Guest Gill Finigan

Clear water on the Niagara isn't as bad as a small river or stream. Fish aren't as spokey since they have alot of deeper pools to sit in. Usually fish will found a bit deeper with gin clear water.

Archived