Where's Brian?

Guest chilli

How should heated threads be Moderated?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How should heated threads be Moderated?

• Locked at first sign of heated confrontation?
    • Let go untill the bitter end reguardless?
    • Delete messages that are threatening or derogatory in nature only?
    • Move thread to a designated area?

A short while ago there was a thread that got heated.

Heated= Argumentative to the point of retardedness.

This pissed me off. People slinging insults and bickering over something that is just common sense. In my eyes this says that there's a lack of common respect within the outdoor community.

I myself took a few days to venture elsewhere to look for conversation with the civilized sharing the same interests. Well this site is the pinnacle site for the area I'm sure, so while I was having no luck finding a sane conversation elsewhere, a few members contacted me and persuaded me to end my tantrum. Sorry guys, I've been eating too many females. In the meantime, the thread which pissed me off was locked due to the intensity and repetiveness of the argument.

Well that pissed off some others. There are things that can't be said at a public meeting due to politcal correctness and this is like a little cyber clubhouse where we can say what we want within reason.

So my question is: How would you suggest Rick deal with heated discussions.

A short while ago there was a thread that got heated.

Heated= Argumentative to the point of retardedness.

This pissed me off. People slinging insults and bickering over something that is just common sense. In my eyes this says that there's a lack of common respect within the outdoor community.

I myself took a few days to venture elsewhere to look for conversation with the civilized sharing the same interests. Well this site is the pinnacle site for the area I'm sure, so while I was having no luck finding a sane conversation elsewhere, a few members contacted me and persuaded me to end my tantrum. Sorry guys, I've been eating too many females. In the meantime, the thread which pissed me off was locked due to the intensity and repetiveness of the argument.

Well that pissed off some others. There are things that can't be said at a public meeting due to politcal correctness and this is like a little cyber clubhouse where we can say what we want within reason.

So my question is: How would you suggest Rick deal with heated discussions.

3792[/snapback]

The key words there are "within reason." There are many boards that I frequent and believe me, the one thing I see everywhere is that you can't always please everyone. There's a few forums out there that I feel are worse then this one when it comes to having garbage posts. I check this board daily and have seen a few threads that bordered on "retardedness," no denying that, but for the most part I think that overall things here are kept fairly civil. Between bigfish1965 and myself keeping an eye on this board we try to keep the threads alive unless they start getting too silly then they are either locked or deleted and I feel for the most part it's been so far, so good. I do welcome anyones input on this subject, perhaps I see things a bit differently but so far my general opinion on this subject is, if I don't care for the way a thread is going, I'll just simply ignore that thread, sort of like changing channels for a crappy TV show, but when they break the rules then they have gone too far. What do you guys think?

One of the main reasons I like this board is because there isn't a lot of crap.

Before I got My boat I used to fish alot up North and read the Grey-Bruce Board That board was constanly full of soap opera crap. Mostly everyone on this board is very Mature and informative some topics get into heated discussions but I think they have all been Valid arguments. I must of missed the Whole Brian thing but if it's Lake trout Brian your talking about I enjoyed his reports.

Where you at Brian?

COME BACK

Guest GrimsbyAl

Just my two cents.

Any thread should be left to the bitter end, as long as ther is no name calling and swearing.The reason is, these are the people that we are all out there fishing with, good and bad. Their views on things may be distorted, they may be unethical, but when the respected members of this board lay in to them they may think twice about what they say or do while out fishing, knowing that people are watching them. It is our responsabilty as ethical sportsman to express our disapproval with their actions, but at the same time keeping a cool head and not lowering to their level.

One of the main reasons I like this board is because there isn't a lot of crap.

Before I got My boat I used to fish alot up North and read the Grey-Bruce Board That board was constanly full of soap opera crap. Mostly everyone on this board is very Mature and informative some topics get into heated discussions but I think they have all been Valid arguments. I must of missed the Whole Brian thing but if it's Lake trout Brian your talking about I enjoyed his reports.

Where you at Brian?

COME BACK

3799[/snapback]

Sorry I got carried away. To answer our Question.

A personal Email to the instigator (s) and than if that don't work lock it up!

Guest bigfish1965

Once a thread gets to the point of beating a dead horse over and over and the frustration level of the proponents gets to the point where they now are slininging mud at one another, something has to be done. It cannot turn into the battle-royale we've seen on other sites. There has been a concerted effort of late to keep fishing sites somewhat civilised and this is an ongoing effort of all the webmasters of the bigger sites.

Rick and I discussed the Members Only area as the way to maintain free flowing discussion and also not leave a bad first impression of those who may come here for the first time.

Some people are greater advocates of unbridled free speach than others. No matter which way you go, someone will be annoyed...there is no two ways about it.

There are some undeniable facts...

Rick needs to get sponsors to pay for the server,software license, etc. He also needs to maintain a decent board for the myriad of kids that come here. We don't need those that would like to see fishing outlawed seeing us at each others throats.

So if one or two threads get locked or deleted in a year, it isn't the end of the world. There are MANY sites with tighter rules than Rick's are. I prefer locking threads over deleting them since people can till read the points that were made and create a new thread if it is needed.

Guest Steelheader

Personally I don't mind a little conflict...keeps things exciting! =) I think people should be given the opportunity to work out their disagreements on these boards. If someone is being belligerent and flaming others and not heeding rebukes from the rest of us, then he should be suspended or banned.

Hey, sometimes people like a good argument. Maybe you don't want that here on these boards, but I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't become hostile. I like the fact that these boards are rated "G", and that will help encourage more members.

I say let the threads go until they get hostile. I suppose its subjective, but I haven't seen anything yet that reached that level, even the PortD discussion was pretty tame. Maybe I just have a higher threshold of idiocy from the other message boards I frequent.

:):( Here Here Bigfish I agree with you 100% so what if a thread gets locked if its gone on & on & on without resolving the isue and turns into a pissing match that is something you don't want new veiwers to read, maybe after the fiist sign of it getting out of hand it get's moved to the shout site and let them go at it again WITH IN REASON. GrimsbyAl said 1 word I keep pushing and that's ETHICAL maybe some of you should look up that word and find out where and when it is used and then just then their may not be a problem, another suggestion may be to keep track on how many threads an individual has had moved make a happy number then ban him from posting, I don't think it would take long for everyone to figure that one out, when it's posted that sonso was banned and for what reason just my 1 1/2 cents worth Rob Mcintosh :D

well, why not lock things when they get heated? There's this cool little feature on this board called Private Messages..... take it to a place others don't have to see it and ya'll can have the pissing match there.... pretty simple i think and it gets the point across to the "offender" and keeps it outta the eyes of "newbies/kids"....

That would be the "everybody wins" solution...

As for me personally, it's the internet, i'm not gonna get into a heated arghuement or get offended/upset about anything here... just not worth it, as Rick said, it's as easy as changing the channel.... or heading out fishing instead of stewing in my pot :)

P.S. i haven't seen BLC on F-H either....

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Geez guys I'm right here :) Long story short.... New user made addon for our flight sim. It doesn't like Win.XP! So over the last week I've been trying to add a second harddrive,and load it with Win. ME.

I have been on the net using my wifes putter,but all my passwords are on this one,and It's been so long I've forgoten my Email password.

Chilli,SteveK I just read you Emails!! I do feel the LOVE :(

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Missed you Brian! I figured some hawg of a sheephead finally pulled you into the river  :Gonefishing:

3837[/snapback]

You dirty (^*())(&%$##%^*&())

LMAO!!!!!!! I did nail them one day. Just couldn't keep them off of that frigging thing Denis sold me!!!

I've got over 800 Emails to sort through,and probably 799 are junk Emails

Archived