25 hp motor

seao

purchased a new 25hp electric start mercury motor.used 25.1 fuel as according to book and dealer on 1st tank of gas.noticed after each outing oil leaks out from prop and messes my garage floor. took this matter up with the dealer and they say

this was leaking from the exhaust caused by the fuel mixture25.1. they took the prop apart and cleaned it. unfotunately i am still on my 1st tank of gas because i did not go out as much as i wanted to. i have not been out since september and have since winterised my motor and i noticed it is still dripping but not as much as after i have been out with it.after 1st tank of gas mixture would be 50.1 abit worried as i have only 1 year warrenty on motor. any advice?

Guest AngryClown

:Gonefishing:

I believe that's part of the normal "break-in" process. The seals aren't seated properly on the shaft yet, plus the heavy oil to gas ratio. If you're really concerned, you can check the lower unit for water contamination, but I wouldn't put a wrench on it until the warranty is expired <_<

P.S. Make sure you put 'er in gear, when you tow it, or you'll be replacing said seal quite a bit!

:Gonefishing:

I believe that's part of the normal "break-in" process. The seals aren't seated properly on the shaft yet, plus the heavy oil to gas ratio. If you're really concerned, you can check the lower unit for water contamination, but I wouldn't put a wrench on it until the warranty is expired <_<

P.S. Make sure you put 'er in gear, when you tow it, or you'll be replacing said seal quite a bit!

3867[/snapback]

thanks for info. will try out early next season with 50.1 ratio. what worries me is where is oil coming from. is it deposited on the shaft when i am out with it.

should it not have drain completely after being park one day.been standing since september and notice a few drops still.

well i would say if you think thier is someting not quite right take it to a diff dealer and get a second opion while its under warrenty still.....your 1st dealer mite not just want to do repairs on it....

Archived