WAS THAT A HIT ???

ROB MCINTOSH

HEY GUY'S: Thought this my help on detecting a fish hit(rainbows&browns) I found after a few years of fishing the river with a 3 way setup it helped with my setting the hook smallmouth bass fishing, because anyone that fish's bass knows that sometimes they hit so light that you miss a hit. Bouncing a tube on the bottom across zebra's and rocks is the same as bouncing a 3 way or a roe bag or fly on bottom, after fishing bass this way I think it will help alot in fishing for browns,rainbows.So I know alot of you don't have the chance or a boat to get out and try this thru out the summer but if you can beleive me it helped my hookset 100% I know the bass guy's are going to say I still can't catch bass but it still helped. Rob :blahblah1:

Yes this is used in the lake at times when you want to keep your tube out of the algee on the bottom or when the bite is so light it's a reaction hit also there is another one called dropshot kind of works the same way or when there is no drift these work very well. I know their will be some coments from some of the bass guy's that I still couldn't catch a fish but thats not the point right guy's . :blahblah1: Rob

Guest Steelheader

Interesting.

I would have assumed that adding an extra chunk of weight would reduce the sensitivity of your offering. After all, as you're moving the bait alone, you'll always have to feel the lead weight first, and only THEN will you feel your tube. Do you understand how it works, or is it just one of those things that you have to try and see for yourself?

Hey guy's:I should have put down who would have responded to that post about the bass :Gonefishing: but I don't think I'm to far off on this one a'm I Bucketmouth you have fish these 3 speices of fish and a lite hit can be with all 3. After fishing a few winters in the river with Frosty I learned a lot on lite hits. He said once I figured out the feel of bottom , rocks ,sand ,weed and any thing else we were drifting over I would start to feel the tic and set the hook and lowinbehold a fish, notice I said A fish, it's not like fishing with Bucketmouth it's like that box of bit's & bites every time you go out it's a hole new thing I'm still trying to figure out where to hide the camera to enter in the 10,000.00 funniest vidio's :) sorry John, but I think you have to agree on this one.So my point was if you get a chance to go out for bass it should hone your skills on a lite hit isue with browns & bows , and your right Chilli there would not be silence in the boat inless I get that 1 fish :lol: Rob

Nothing to be sorry about there rob, usually every time out there is some sort of catastrophe on board whether its having 4 fish(or even 4 snags) going with 2 guys, a rod going overboard, a net getting hung up on something when you are about to net the fish of a lifetime, sunglasses swimming and breaking under foot, pliers flying out, hats whizzing by, hitting seagulls,drain plug forgotten(guys, let the boater rig his own boat or things like this could get forgotten :lol: ), arriving at launch nice and early and after getting the boat all ready to put in find out i took the life jackets out to dry and they were still in the garage, had to rerig and go home and get em :blush: going airborne (twice) :) , falling all over the boat :) , hmm, what else happened the last couple of years, drift sock drifting away, spearing a few waves, hence, getting almost knocked out by erie ;) , almost crashing boat on shore in old canal in spring when that almost hurricane hit , did lose my rain coat but picked it up on the shore after i trailered over to that corner, pretty smelly.as you can tell there are some fun and some not so fun things that happened out there, as andrew n said this year, they should be playing a clown song when we go out, da,da,da,da,da, here they are. yea, if you could get a camera on board you would have a great chance at that 10 g rob, anyways, even with all those events routinely happening i have to say i had a pretty good fishing year, well at least till october. :Gonefishing:

Well rob, yea you are right, it really is no different detecting a walleye bite on a jig to tubing for bass to drifting for trout, occasionally they rip the rod out of your hands but for the most part it is just a slight difference in vibration, weight, or feel, old saying, can't beat time on the water and when you feel something different SET THE HOOK! :blush:

Ah yes, the soft (hit). Though I do not post much, I had to reply to this one Rob. I have been out withyou for bass( you with me) and yes you have the touch. But what a suprise to find out you have the ability to sense the illusive soft tap of a trout!lol. As was said by a few here, it is all in the feel when they are finicky, and with any other fish, time on the water means more than you think. Smashed bag, beware the GOBY, lost rainsuit, I was there with ya Johnny, Rob, first guy I heard of catching a steelhead and a walleye in the upper river ( during a bass tourny)LOL

Yes it is all about feel, and when you discover that so called " touch" that will be the day when it changes and they are hammering the bait and you lose your favourite rod to a 4# steelie jumping 5ft out of the water with your roe bag in it `s mouth while your thinking %^#%@T# did I do wrong? Fishing, all year round, gotta luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived