What do you wear in the cold?

Guest Steelheader

Guest Steelheader

Just wondering what everyone wears to keep warm on those cold winter days on the river/lake.

I'm looking for ideas on lightweight, warm clothing that will maximize mobility and comfort. I'm already saving up for a survival suit, since I just don't like the idea of being near deep, ice cold water without anything to protect me.

Currently I just wear a couple of poly-pro shirts, lots of cotton layers, a turtleneck sweater, fleece pullover, and my winter coat, along with poly-pro long johns, jeans, and rain pants to keep out the wind. A wool hat and thinsulate wool gloves top off the ensemble *clap clap clap*

I'm always warm, but I'm too bulky. If I could cut the layers in half and still be as warm, I'd be a happy angler. With the new technologies out there I'm thinking there has to be a better way.

Guest bradley_p

layers is the best way to keep warm although they do have some very expensive clothing on the market to thin down but they cost lots..a quality lightweight coat can cost you like 2000 bucks ..so stick with the layers untill you hit the lottery...

cliff...

Just wondering what everyone wears to keep warm on those cold winter days on the river/lake.

I'm looking for ideas on lightweight, warm clothing that will maximize mobility and comfort. I'm already saving up for a survival suit, since I just don't like the idea of being near deep, ice cold water without anything to protect me.

Currently I just wear a couple of poly-pro shirts, lots of cotton layers, a turtleneck sweater, fleece pullover, and my winter coat, along with poly-pro long johns, jeans, and rain pants to keep out the wind. A wool hat and thinsulate wool gloves top off the ensemble *clap clap clap*

I'm always warm, but I'm too bulky. If I could cut the layers in half and still be as warm, I'd be a happy angler.  With the new technologies out there I'm thinking there has to be a better way.

4108[/snapback]

Steelheader I bought a survival suit last year,best investment ever to stay warm.I went ice fishing last year on a cold day & say on a lawn chair & did not feel any cold at all.The most important thing is the way it fits.Not to tight not to loose,need to find the one in the middle.Mine was $264 .Very good investment.Don,t buy a cheap one.you,ll regret it.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I wear felt lined boots,jeans,tee shirt,shirt,pullover with hood,scarf then my mustang survival suit and a hat to top it of. You can have all the warm cloths on but if you haven't got a scarf to keep the wind from getting down your neck you will get cold. I've worked in -50c weather down home,same setup except I wear a snowmobile suit.

Opps one other thing,if your going inside to get warm take the heavy cloths off,even a good idea to take the boots off,once you start sweating,and then you go back out side you will get cold.

I am a competitive track and field athlete that trains outside all year around...and I would suggest anything dryfit, , only need a couple layers on top of that. I use Nike dryfit, underarmer is supposed to be good also!!

Layers and a quality survival suit are best for keeping warm, but keeping your feet, and head, and hands warm is the most important. Most heat is lost through your head and feet , so you need a warm pair of boots that have some brathing room for some air flow to get in. or else your feet sweat and go frozen.

Guest Big Bass Rich

I use a survival suit and it's the best way I've got to stay warm! I tell you with a sweatshirt and a couple pairs of pants under that thing sometimes I have to unzip it in the winter cuz it gets too hot!

I have the two piece pants and jacket and they are just as warm as a survival suit however the survival suits have some added straps on the legs and arms to trap water should you fall in. You don't want the water circulating around your body, it's better to trap water that will warm up from your body and give you a few extra minutes before hypothermia sets in.

Another thing that I do is I don't wear my boots or heavy jackets in the truck. If your feet sweat before you get to the fishing spot they will get colder faster. Avoid boots with steel plates and steel toes. Also avoid cotton clothing(socks, shirts, pants) as cotton is meant to keep your body cool, not warm.

I would say go to the goodwill buy yourself a snowmobile suit or winter coveralls until you save enough for a floatation suit(sorry about the spelling.....lol)...wear mittens not gloves(buy those hand warmers there only a couple of dollars)they fit in mittens and there easier to get off..........winter boots and mittens....finger and toes.....must be warm........without warm boots and gloves you won't be out long enough to use your floatation suit..............JHM.....just my 2 cents good luck

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

If your going to buy a suit get the Mustang survival suit,there more expensive but they won't stiffen up like the bouy O boy does. If I had to do it over I would have bought the 2 piece suit.

Archived