Slow action at Whirlpool

fishfight

Caught this few days ago, weighs around 5 lb.

Lure used: spoon

Clear water and the water level was at its highest

Went to the Glen by 6:30 caught nothing

Went to the Whirlpool by 10:00am - 11:00am nothing

11:00-12:00 Took a nap

12:30 decided to fish again at whirlpool and caught this one, lucky to catch this one by noon

I saw another fellow caught 3, but the other 8 Nada!

Everyone seemed to be too quiet these days, hardly any report happening here.

Nice fish man..gets tough this time of year when the water starts going back up for the spring,and when the water is clear and it gets really sunny at the whirlpool this fish seem to stay pretty far out sometines just like when the salmon are in there,I always find it better first light till the water goes up this time of year most spots I fish in the glen. Kinda makes ya debate the hike for 2-3 hours of fishin when it takes over an hour just to get from the car and back..lol.I dont usually go down there till mid Nov when they stop lettin the water up...middle of winter is my favorite time to fish the glen, The coldest crappiest days can be great I make out pretty good usually..have some good pics but don't know how to post em..lol..thanks for the update i was thinking on going down there soon but debating it cuz of the water level.

Hi there JWL,

Fishing is normally good this time of the year if the weather pattern has been normal, meaning very cold winter weather chould have just pass us. I normally caught the bows even until end of May.

You are right that fishing is best just before the sun hits the water, in fact couple times last year at the glen, I caught my first fish before the third cast around 6:30am and the water was low, I also accidentally caught couple musky but was not able to land it, too tough to land using only six lb line.

My first time at the whirlpool was on Victoria Day weekend 6 years ago , caught 3 bows from 8-9:30am using spinners, the water level was mid level, and a cloudy day as well, since then I was hooked.

The water level is not as high either in most cases, therefore easier to work with the current.

I also notice millions of minnows around this time of the year, therefore the fish are not as hungry as we expected.

I am still debating whether to try one more time this week. Due to high gas prices and limited amount of fish, it is so hard to enjoy the sport just to land one fish after 6 hours of hard work casting and hiking down both the glen and the whirlpool. I normally do not go to both places, but I have to hike at both places more times this year than in the past due to unsuccessful attempt at one place. I became more patient and persistant this year, this is the main reason I was able to successfully land here and there.

The bow or brown should be actively coming up the water every so often, then I know the fish are active and around the area. On my last attempt at the Glen, I did not see one came up in 4 hours, but saw few came to the surface at the whirpool. I was somewhat disapointed because I got there before 6:30am.

Good luck. I can't wait till the bass season starts

Guest Mineral

Fishing for rainbow trout is still good for about another week, numbers are starting to drop as it gets warmer but ive seen some still spawning last week.

There are rainbows that stay in the glen all year, catch them in the summer sometimes too while bass fishing, a couple summers ago a musky grabbed onto a bass I had on..that was pretty cool.you shouls still be able to get some good lakers here and there too.I mostly just fish with 6" white twister tails down in the glen..I've caught tons of big trout on them.You just gotta find the right holes..the saying 90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the water really applies sometimes down there.

Archived