Aluminum boats

Stevek

Just wondering what makes and models are your fav's and why. I currently have a 162 Princecraft SC with a 50hp4troke and I love it but with the kids getting alot bigger and the more I've got back into fishing the great lakes I'm looking at something bigger. Around 17' with about a 90hp4stroke, full windshield and top set for protection from the elements when needed. I really can't go bigger than that because of my tiny garage(96" door x 240" length).

I really like the Pro176 Princecraft but I've measured them and there so big there's just no way to get it in there.

Any thought's?, Steve

Guest DukesFishin

I've been on alot of smokercrafts, lunds, princecrafts etc etc but my old man and i agreed last year that a Sylvan boat was the chioce. We got a 18' single console sylvan with a 115 hp Johnson, 4 stroke that flys. I dunno, theres alot of great boats out there but thats what we decided

Just wondering what makes and models are your fav's and why. I currently have a 162 Princecraft SC with a 50hp4troke and I love it but with the kids getting alot bigger and the more I've got back into fishing the great lakes I'm looking at something bigger. Around 17' with about a 90hp4stroke, full windshield and top set for protection from the elements when needed. I really can't go bigger than that because of my tiny garage(96" door x 240" length).

I really like the Pro176 Princecraft but I've measured them and there so big there's just no way to get it in there.

Any thought's?, Steve

4198[/snapback]

I suggest taking a look at the 1700 Lund Pro Sport. You'll be able to run high 30's to low 40's with a 90hp fourstroke. Boat measures 16'11 and 89" beam. Deep sides for trolling the lake. I'll post the link.

http://www.lundboats.com/180017001600prosport.html

Try checking the number of Tracker boats/options at Bass pro. I was very impressed with their designs and especially their package prices. I've heard that a number of Lunds outside the Pro V models are experiencing rivet problems and consequential leakage problems. Service with the once leading boat on the water is also suspect. :Gonefishing:

I owned a tracker and i must admit it was a very decent boat, but just make sure the engine you put on it is very close to the maximum for performance. my tracker was way undersized in the engine department so what i did was get a triton. :Gonefishing:

i don't think there is a bad boat made or the company would not be around long, check your prices on different boats and don't be in a hurry. some things to look at are, guage of aluminum, deep v or not, beam, max hp, warranty (lifetime is nice), proximity to dealer for repairs, and of course, price again. Have fun, John.

ps, maybe other guys can add to this and you can make a check list and start eliminating different boats to look at.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Bradley

I was into Nicholl's Marine awhile back,Walt and Tim had just come back from a Legend convention. Walt informs me, and he was pritty sure that the Exterminator (All Welded Hull) was coming out with a 17.2 version. I've got the 16.8 and Big-0 has the 16.9

I'd sure buy another one,bigger though,mine is perfect for just me,but when I get another person in it,it's a little cramped. Legends are away under powered on the show room floor. I was told when I upgraded the motor that you should have atleast 3/4 the horsepower shes rated for.

Guest bradley_p

thanks for the info brian i was in there on saterday looking at the boats im going to wait untill the toronto sportsman show hoping on getting one there. the one that i really like is the 165 xcalibur the max hp is 115 :Gonefishing:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

You might also want to check there website in the new year. Tim does the malls in Fort Erie and 2 in St.Kitts. Last year he had a few left overs that were on sale.

Guest Fishingnut

Bradley P, I have the 165 Xcalibur with the 115 and I love it. It takes the chop very well and is very dry. It also flies....47 mph on the GPS. If I had one complaint so far it would be poor quality on some minor items like a defective latch on the console "glove box", one defective latch on the walk thru window, and a loose dash cover panel which feels like it wants to come out when you pull a 12V plug out of the receptacle. All this was fixed at no cost but thought the items were out of place on an otherwise high quality boat.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this boat...I would definitely recommend it.

Rob

I have a 1998 legend scorpian. It has a 50 hp 4 stroke on it and moves at 30 mph with 3 guys. It also has the smoker craft rivetted hull..some of the rivets have come loose so now I use an automatic bilge pump to handle water seeping in. From what I have seen with Lake Trout and Big-O they dont experience that on the new welded hulls. My last boat was a 1983 lund fisherman that just kept going like the energizer bunny with no leaks. I believe they were double rivetted. As mentioned legen is priced with a 25 hp motor..you dont want to go any smaller than the 50 hp i would think. Each of the brands mentioned all have some good features and have been around for awhile. It will come down to style,price and preference.

Guest bigfish1965

I had the Legend v-170 Sportfish for several years and sold it to TNT. It has the rivetted hull and has a 75 on the back. Baby flies with the right prop and motor set-up. (42GPS)

Never leaked a drop once and the only thing that ever broke was the livewell pump.

The rear converta-decks are the best thing since sliced bread if you have a family. Spend the extra few buck for the front bow cushion set-up too.

Archived