icefishing scugog

Guest cplummer

Guest cplummer

Caught this 8 lb largemouth while icefishing scugog last year ..I was fishing for walleye when this bass decided it was HER minnow...i took a quick picture then released her..

cliff

My Webpage

click on the mywebpage link for the picture

Guest cplummer

wow tommy 4lbs? i got a 12 lber there.. where i go the average is 4 lbs with lots between 4 and 8 lbs !! usually i get on average about 12 a day or so.. catch n release of course but i keep enough for a family meal.. and i totally agree with tommy you need to know where to go or u get skunked .if you go to gorskys theres lots in the 1 lb range. I have been icefishing there for 25 years now and i have my spot and never have i been skunked yet there...and for the perch i get jumbos but i get mad when i get perch cause i know the walleye are off the bite till dusk... the musky i'll dig up a few pic's of musky in the 20-25 lb range through the ice there....

cliff...

I've always heard about the bigger eyes in Scugog, but never saw anything over about 2.5 pounds. I've had great times landing up to 6 in an evening, but one 5 or 6 pounder would feel a lot better. I've been told a few spots to try, and have tried them, but most of my luck has been at yep, you guessed it GORESKIS!!

My favourite lures there are glow jigging spoons. Only thing, I don't really jig'em, more shake them than anything. And if your glow spoon is glowing bright, you don't get as many hits, my best results are when the tape is barely glowing, I've caught fish up to an hour after flashing a spoon.

The only other advice I can give is to stay away from big crowds or bright light, I remember meeting half a dozen freinds out there one night. We all bascially set up in a circle. I was farthest away from the crowd and all the light. They all had other people fishing behind them, I had open ice behind me. Guess who caught the most fish that night... If you see a big group making lots of noise and they have their colemans burning bright, set up your holes 20 to 30 ft away from them and operate in stealth mode, works for me!!! :Gonefishing:

Guest cplummer

great point GOBY i use as little light as possible it works!! as for spoons use a swedish pimple ,paint it chart then paint a clear coat over it and jig a foot high then watch the difference!!! always use big minnows and a stinger..and if anyone wants to go up with me i'm more than willing to show my spot as i'm not a spot hog and enjoy fishing...

cliff...

Cliff, Did you catch some huge crappie last year? I'm not sure why there was a closed season. I heard they wanted to let them get establised but I've caught them north of Balsam already. Have you noticed a connection between the walleye and crappie? ie do they mix well? Is that hut your perm hut blue/green?

Guest cplummer

i had perm hut there for years now i go with an ice tent sub O.. makes me mobile.. i have yet to catch a crappie from scugog and had no idea they put some in..

cliff

Guest cplummer

lets hope they stay near goreski's cause i think crappy are crap and a pain in the rear but theres so much bait in scugog i could see the ministry putting them in just to pee me off . lol i have many pic's from scugog but i need a scanner and i hear santa has got my daughter one !! more to come.

cliff...

Archived