Rice Lake Report

MacD

Spent a few day at the trailer on Rice Lake, Friday was the only day I fished, I caught on 25 inch pickerel and my wife caught two 12 inch pickerel she released. Several other people at my park also caught decent size pickerel. I caught mine jigging the weedbeds.

Guest boston

that's a nice walleye MacD, good for you bud, I used to fish the mouth of the river with my dad, just young enough to remember, used to troll all night, and did well too, I have only fished it a few times on my own with very limited success, I hear yah gotta fish the weed pockets, but I still can't seem to get a handle on that lake. LOL. thanks for the report, boston. :)

Rice sees an awful lot of traffic nowadays, the walleye fishing is really on the decline...seems the kawartha's all over are getting more and more popular with cottagers than ever and property values are really high because of this..might be good for the property owners that have been there for a while, but not so good for the fishing..and the boat traffic just gets rediculous sometimes..causes the fishing to get really tough..the fish all bury in the deepest weed cover..one of the best places in my opinion to fish on rice has to be around the Indian River mouth area..but thats just my opinion

Guest boston

Hey JWL, I used to think the same thing about rice and the pressure on it, but I have a friend of mine that hit's it quite often and he just kills'm, I have seen the picture's and that is the only thing that keeps me going back there LOL, he's fishing it at like 2am, off some weed bed he keeps telling me about, he's gonna have to show me cause I can't find it. LOL.

I guess its just getting tougher to fish some of those lakes like where my trailer is..they have been getting more and more weedy...the big ones have more places to hide...the lake i go to i have been fishing for what will be 10 seasons this year..lots of people say the fishing is not that good...I do great there its just one of those places that is hard top fish and doesnt go by the rules..like stated in another post, all the big walleye i catch are in the dead heat of summer...middle of the afternoon when ya can't even hardly stand to be out in the heat..and in about 10 feet of water or less....just l;ike the kawartha chain i guess which is getting really over run with baot traffic more than fishing pressure(although i think people keep too many walleye thats why size averages are down and slots change)...but the fish just move to where it is really hard to fish for them..the big ones are there but hard to get a bait in fron of thier face when the weeds are thick as a forest and grow to the surface..lol

I hear ya MacD, makes the strike zone really small..lol..fish that kind of water all the time at my trailer...thats how I got 4 last week..lol, I always manage something even when people up there aren't getting much of any..my nieghbour at the park always gets po'd..cuz he tries and tries,,and I almost never get skunked...actually I have never been skunked at the lake I am on..lol..atleast get a few pike if the walleye are hiding too well..lol.

JWL: Have you tried in the 10k zone behind Margaret Island,just bounce jigs on the bottom and you will get eye's I would get them there fishing for bass. The wind should blow from the Haistings end and that will drifft you right over the rocks and weed edge at the marker bouy that says 10k stay about 20' away from it and you should hit it right on.Good luck :Gonefishing:Catfish

nope never tried there..haven't been out on that water for years..my camp is about 1/2 hour or so away from there..thats pretty much where I go if not fishing a local hole for something, all those other places are getting too overpopulated for me..lol..I like going fishing to get away from people..lol..not fish with 100 guys..lol..just the handfull of people who I go with.

JWL: Have you tried in the 10k zone behind Margaret Island,just bounce jigs on the bottom and you will get eye's I would get them there fishing for bass. The wind should blow from the Haistings end and that will drifft you right over the rocks and weed edge at the marker bouy that says 10k stay about 20' away from it and you should hit it right on.Good luck :Gonefishing:Catfish

One of my favourite weedbeds is between Margaret Island and Birdsall's point.

• 2 weeks later...

Took another long weekend at Rice Lake, Pickerel fishing is the best it has been in years. Angelers are having success both jigging the weed beds or casting with a lure. Crappie and Blue Gill fishing is also great, there are some really large fish being caught. The lake is also very quiet, the high Canadian Dollar is keeping the Americans away.

Archived