Boat Tariff

Guest Gill Finigan

Guest Gill Finigan

Was surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet. Here's a C&P from another site

On November 23rd, the Canadian government announced the possibility of imposing a 100 percent tariff on U.S-built recreation boats. The proposed tariff would apply to imported products from the U.S., including pleasure vessels such as yachts, sailboats, motorboats, inflatables and canoes.

What it means if it passes. That $20,000 boat you been dreaming about will now be $40,000.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

About time! With the tarrifs that they impose on are softwood and wheat,which the world court says is illegal,Bush keeps doing it. He did the same to steel last year imposing tarrifs,he made the statement that he new it was against the World court ruling,but he needed to give there steel industry time to retool.

Guest Gill Finigan

Well there are good Canadian made aluminum boats to buy, but there are no fiberglass bass boats made in Canada. They aren't screwing anyone but Canadians with a tariff on fiberglass boats.

Well there are good Canadian made aluminum boats to buy, but there are no fiberglass bass boats made in Canada. They aren't screwing anyone but Canadians with a tariff on fiberglass boats.

4600[/snapback]

You seem to miss the point. It's about punishing the Americans for there tarrifs that they have imposed on our goods! Puting our ppl out of work. Free trade only works if the Americans can compete with us,if they can't, they just slap an illegal tarrif on our goods. To bad they hit the boats first,but I agree with this course of action we are taking.

Guest Gill Finigan

Nope didn't miss the point. We don't make fiberglass fishing boats so US imports don't hurt Canadian works since there are no companies producing here. Tariffs should be put on items that are produced here also to even the playing field. We already export 30 billion more in product then we import from the US. What about the dealers here that sell a US product. Does them laying off workers or going out of buisness help the Canadian economy.

Say what,how do you figure that. The Americans are breaking the free trade treaty!. The only way we can get them to stop charging Tarrifs on our goods,Wheat and Softwood is to start charging THEM Tarrifs.

Who cares if it's boats or jackets,we need to get them to stop charging tarrifs on our goods which under free trade is illegal. The world court has ordered Bush to pay the tarrifs back that he has put on our goods. He has so far ignored this ruling.

This is the only option left to us.

The hole idea of free trade is NO TARRIFS!!

I think what Gill is saying is that the ends doesn't justify the means....

in other words, it may be a way to "get back at the U.S.", however in doing so we are hurting ourselves.... boat dealers won't be able to sell fibreglass boats anymore, which means the sales staff will be shortened and people will lose jobs, aswell those of us who have the money to buy the boat won't therefore we won't be putting money back into the economy..... on the other hand the boating industry isn't that big here (dealers i mean), so it may not affect consumers too much, but it will affect those whom sell fibreglass boats...

Personally, i think they could have found something better to put a tariff on... something that would hurt a U.S. company/economy, however in turn boost a Canadian company and our economy...

BTW- Gill, did the customs/importing thing last weekend, i think i know what i'm doing with the tariffs and paperwork... not really too complicated, just have to know what you're looking at/for :worthy:

Personally, i think they could have found something better to put a tariff on... something that would hurt a U.S. company/economy, however in turn boost a Canadian company and our economy...

4626[/snapback]

They did... Canadian made boats :worthy:

I think in another 20 years the fiberglass boats will be all replaced with Welded aluminum boats.

What would you suggest they add the Tarrifs to if not boats.

They did... Canadian made boats :D

I think in another 20 years the fiberglass boats will be all replaced with Welded    aluminum boats.

What would you suggest they add the Tarrifs to if not boats.

4629[/snapback]

no idea.... i just believe that the amount, in dollars, worth of fibreglass boats sold over here isn't too too much.... definately not anywhere close to the dollar amount we are losing from the Byrd bill.... :)

Guest Gill Finigan

Tariff could be put on Aluminum boats or anything else where we have the option to buy Canadian instead. Putting a tariff on a product we don't make here is counter productive.

It's not that i disagree with us putting tariffs on products to stop the US from doing it to us. The products that are hit must have a Canadian supply to counter the tariff. There are great Canadian aluminum boats. Some of the best are made here so raising the US imports is not a problem.

Or maybe thats exactly what there after,knowing that there is no Canadian supplier of fiberglass boats in Canada. The Americans would of course know this,knowing they(suppliers) have the market covered in Canada,a Tarrif would really hurt. Bush is not listing to the Canada government or the World court,maybe he will listen when his own ppl start complaining about the tarrifs,might start them thinking about the tarrifs they imposed on us that are illegal.

Canadian boating group will fight tariff plan...

The tariff is retaliation for the Byrd Amendment, a law that allows funds collected from anti-dumping fines and countervailing duties to be given to U.S. firms that petition for tax relief. The World Trade Organization has ruled that the amendment violates international trade laws, and has given other countries a green light to implement a tariff on selected U.S. manufactured products.

Full Story!!!

Guest AngryClown

:lol::( It's funny that you ask, because I was scoping them out afew months ago at the dealers, and the new Evinrudes say "Made by Bombardier" on the top, but "Made in Japan" on the back. I asked the dealer, and he said " Duh... wha?!?!?" I think the components are preassemled overseas, then slapped together by K-Bekkers. But that's purely speculation.

Maybe instead of fibreglass boats , we could put a tarrif on the motors..but that would suck, too. Are Evinrudes 100% Canadian?

4659[/snapback]

I was in to Nicholls Marine last week talking to Walt. Seems he and Tim went to Bass Pro shop for a look see. They noticed that the mid range Mercs. were 10-20% cheaper then what anyone else was selling them for. Come to find out, they were importing the Mercs. from the States. Once the local merc dealers found out they went after Merc. Marine. Prices are back up,but it was a good deal if you caught it.

Archived