What kind of reel is best for winter fishing?

oldcatcher

Hi Guys......................

New here, seems like a great site with very helpfull members.

Anyways, you guys have me all excited about fishing through the winter this year. I'll probably just shore fish on the US side at Arkpark.

I'm an old bass fishermen so I have an assortment of spinning and baitcasting gear.

I could use ANY and All advice regarding the type of reel that will work best this winter.

-Dave

well i think both would work well  if  you can cas the baitcast out a bit...but once the gets colder you will have to ude mono lines as braided line will freeze up as it holds water

4730[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply fullofgas...........

I would never of thought of the fact that braided line would hold water and freeze, but after you pointed it out, it makes perfect sense.

Any brand of mono that works better than others in the winter?

-Dave

Thanks for the reply fullofgas...........

I would never of thought of the fact that braided line would hold water and freeze,  but after you pointed it out, it makes perfect sense.

Any brand of mono that works better than others in the winter?

-Dave

4733[/snapback]

I recommend 8lb P- Line. Great line stuff has high abarsion resistants and alot of guys are switching to it.

well while alot of guys like the Pline i donr i think it has to much memory in it and when cold it worse i like stren easy cast no memory in it even in the cold but its not the toughtest line either have to retie weights more often

i have 6lb P-Line flouroclear (i think that's what it is) and it's really limp and has virtually no memory... i used 6lb Stren original (flourescent blue 'cause i have bad eyes- makes it easier to watch the line) and between the 2 i think they're both about even... now i used 6# P-Line xtra aswell this year and i can safely say i'll never use it again- wayyyy too much memory!!!

Archived