The Niagara Bar

JFish

Hello all, new to this forum.

Just looking for some advice. Since I just purchased a boat this past summer and have not been out in the Niagara during the winter I may only try to get out a couple times. This leads me to my questions. When does the bar pick up? I have read that from January through to March it is crazy!! Is this true? Also, if i plan to use a 3-way with shiners where do I get these minnows early enough in the morning (Canadian side near the boat launch)? Any help would be greatly apprciated. Thanks. :blush:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Check this site for info Niagara Bar

Minnows,not at Queenston,where are you coming from?

How bigs your boat?

Check this for Winds out on the Bar,I don't even think about going out there if shes at 25KH and out of the W,NW,NE,E or SE

Winds

Hers a map of the border between Canada and the USA

Bar_Map.jpg

Hey Thanks for the info. I have been to that site quite a few times, I was just wondering what everybody on this forum thought of the action out at the bar. I didn't realize that the U.S covered so much of the bar. I guess I will have to get an american license now. I would be coming from Hamilton or St. Catharines, depends on if i am at school or not. Thanks again.

If you coming from Hamilton,I do believe the bait shop at Fishing world is open at 5 or 6 am,try phoning first,other Then that if your fishing 8 or 9 am Pete's might be open in St. Kitts

The Niagara Bar I lived there last Nov-March,however I was trolling,did ok not many sheepshead :blush: this year i haven't been there since early Oct. Winds and muddy water have kept me fishing other Top Secret Areas. :D

Sounds good, I didn't know that Fishing World even carried minnows. You talked about trolling, is that flatlining? I would probably just be drifting up the ledge but if trolling is also productive then I may give that a couple tries. I hope these winds calm down soon so I can get out there. I will probably wait for a real calm day as I am a little more intimidated of the river due to the cold water conditions.

Thanks again. :Gonefishing:

Hey Fishinman..............................I've fished the Bar for a number of years............the Lakers will come easy most days..........with the odd Rainbow,Brown and Coho..............I started out using a three-way rig with spot-tail minnows...........but these days I use three-way set-up with a tube jig (grey/black) rattlesnake tubes are my favorite...........http://www.niagarariverguides.com/sys-tmpl/door/............is a great site with a ton of information..........look this site over really well it will help you............... everything you need to know is there.............GOOD LUCK...........JHM.......... :Gonefishing:

Sounds good, I didn't know that Fishing World even carried minnows. You talked about trolling, is that flatlining? I would probably just be drifting up the ledge but if trolling is also productive then I may give that a couple tries. I hope these winds calm down soon so I can get out there. I will probably wait for a real calm day as I am a little more intimidated of the river due to the cold water conditions.

Thanks again. :worthy:

4965[/snapback]

Will I troll,bottom bouncing is like watching grass grow for me. I flatline leadcore 3 colours out,with 1 downrigger, back 60'. Both on the same side of the boat. Reason I do it this way I'm fishing above the fish if they come up to the DRigger offering and don't hit it,as they back off and up theres my leadcore offering :Gonefishing:

They do get alot more fish then I get trolling,but what I saw last year I was getting few bigger fish.

Like I said on my first post about the winds/ watch this board for river conditions,water visabilty,ect.

Archived