Niagara Bar Lake Trout

Guest Gman

Just looking for clarification here as I will be a newbie to fishing the bar this year and I want to ensure I understand the rules and regs.

I'm under the impression the Niagara bar is currently being fished for Lake Trout, am I correct ? Or are they fishing for steelies and browns and get the occasional Lake Trout ?

If this is the case who are people gettng around the closed season from Oct 1 - Dec 31 ? Or is that just on the NY side.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Gman

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Not sure what the season is on the NY side...

5016[/snapback]

Open

NY side Jan1

Canadian side Dec1

Lake Erie American side open year round

Gman

You do know there talking the docks out at Queenston. If the river is ever clear during the week,I'm launching @ Fort Niagara American side.

I know they're taking the docks out but I just can't remember when. I think it's within the next upcoming week.

What paper work do you need to cross the board with your boat ? Do they give you any hassels ?

I'll probably be headind down on sunday, what do most people use as s set-up, ie, spinning, baitcast, salmon outfig, what type and weight of mainline ?

I was gona being a good solid bait casting outfit med-heavy that is loaded with some Powerpro then use a 3 way swivel. Then bring two spinning outfits, both with 12lb test one with braided line the other with mono. THoughts ?

Thanks,

Gman

l was down there today and they were taking the docks out, the guy said that works for the niagara parks that they will have the new one's back in the spring.....Is the launch at the fort open right now? and l thought u had to pay to launch the boat there like $7.......

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
I know they're taking the docks out but I just can't remember when.  I think it's within the next upcoming week. 

What paper work do you need to cross the board with your boat ? Do they give you any hassels ?

I'll probably be headind down on sunday, what do most people use as s set-up, ie, spinning, baitcast, salmon outfig, what type and weight of mainline ?

I was gona being a good solid bait casting outfit med-heavy that is loaded with some Powerpro then use a 3 way swivel. Then bring two spinning outfits, both with 12lb test one with braided line the other with mono.  THoughts ?

Thanks,

Gman

5021[/snapback]

I was only asked for my drivers lic. going down,coming back from Dunkirk,going through,they just asked if the boat was registered in Canada. I did have photo copies of ownership,in the glove box.

I troll the bar,most I believe bottom bounce with a 3 wayrigs,minnows.

NINO

I checked the website for the Fort,open year around. Oldcatcher thinks bad weather cold ect. theres no one there collecting. Even if there is,it's cheaper for me to pay then to run to the bar and back to Queenston with my 40hp.

How was the water Vis. today?

State Park

I was only asked for my drivers lic. going down,coming back from Dunkirk,going through,they just asked if the boat was registered in Canada. I did have photo copies of ownership,in the glove box.

I troll the bar,most I believe bottom bounce with a 3 wayrigs,minnows.

NINO

I checked the website for the Fort,open year around. Oldcatcher thinks bad weather cold ect. theres no one there collecting. Even if there is,it's cheaper for me to pay then to run to the bar and back to Queenston with my 40hp.

Yes, the Fort is open all year. You may have to pay on weekends.

The north ramp is shallow, now. With the lake being down, maybe

two feet, for the winter. I would use the south ramp. I should know.

I had my prop hit bottom. :Gonefishing:

the water visibility this mornig was about 6-8", there was a few boats

there but all mostly charters.. and there was about a half dozen shore

fisherman....l can't see much being cought in those conditions unless

you ran close to shore.....with the high winds all day l think the river

might be done for the weekend......

Archived