valens

mazz

Guest ricoboxing

can get holes drilled for u there or do u have to bring your own auger? ive never been ice fishing b4. do they sell bait there or should i bring my own? sorry 4 all the questions, i really want to get into ice fishing this year. i finally bought some equipment. will probably get my own auger afther Christmas. Whats a good inexpensive one?

valens has 4 inches of ice and is open

5148[/snapback]

Hey DWC what can one expect to catch out there? I am off for two weeks for Christmas vacation and would like to go one day, but am a little inexperienced and need help. I have been there before in the summer with not much luck, want to try ice fishing for the first time.

lakeshore

valens has bluegill, crappie and pike

i fish ultralight for bluegill and crappie on the weededges in about 7 to 9 ft of water. it is really easy fishing at times. i use a micro ice jig tipped with either maggots or power maggots and a 14 egg hook tied 8 inches above the jig with a maggot.

as for equipment it is really based on what you want to fish for. if you want numbers and want to keep occupied. get a light action rod a spring bobber an ultralight reel with 3 pound test . go to a tackle shop and tell them what you want to do and they will help you out and you will be better equiped

if you want an ice auger i have a 8 inch mora that needs blades. you can have it for free. i have not used it in 8 years. if you want a great upper body workout drill about 12 holes in 2 feet of ice with it.

i think i will be fishing valens next monday morning. if you want the auger

Head down to pete's tackle on secord drive, he'll be able to set you up. just tell him your going after perch and bluegill, you will need a small very sensitive rod and a reel and some 4 lb test line and a few little hooks , sinkers, and maybe a few smalll spoons or jiggin rapalas but a few small hooks and sinkers should suffice for now. get him to tie you up too if he has time, i usually use red hooks with 4 lb test already snelled on so i can just loop tie one high and one low with the sinker on the bottom. split shots should suffice in valens but on simcoe you might want a heavier lead to get you down quick, especially when you are 20 ' or more. if i was going to valens, i would get a few small spoons cause you are only fishing 5' or less to my knowledge.Good luck, John. B) we need a smilie ice fisher Rick :D

Archived