Salmon and Trout Fall Questions

Lakeshore

:Gonefishing: Hi everyone, I am a new resident to this part of the Niagara Region. I have heard many people talk about the fall salmon and trout runs??? I have no clue what all this information means. I would very much like to take advantage of the fall action, but I have no idea where to start, who to ask, what equipment to use. I am totally in the dark here. I am usually a summer fisherman, Pike, Bass etc. but would love to try this fall fishing that everyone talks about.

Can someone help me with this. If someone can give me a location, a technique, a time of year. If anyone would love to partner for a day etc.. I do not have a boat so I am looking for a generous offer on the water or even some shore fishing opportunities.

Anything that you can throw my way would be super amazinga nd I would appreciate it.

Mario

Guest bigfish1965

Welcome Lakeshore..

Niagara is blessed with countless shore fishing opportunities. This is why TakeMeFishing named the Niagara Region the best Urban and Shorefishing spot in Canada. Several fishing magazines also name the Niagara river as the best trout fishery in Ontario.

So I guess the Niagara is your first stop...

The Whirlpool has rustic (emphasis on rustic) stairs that lead you down to the worlds biggest fishing hole. It's not something you've ever seen before. The first map below shows where to park...the stair are nearby. Travel light...get a fishing vest...don't bring a net, though it is too cumbersome. Instead get a tailing glove ( Rapala filet glove does nicely)

The Whirlpool holds fish all year long. In the early fall cast spoons and Kwikfish for hard hitting salmon. Later switch to roe, streamers and yarn flies.

Queenston also has tons of fishing from shore available. It is much easier to get to, but probably not as productive as the Whirlpool. The tactics are the same. See second map for directions.

Port Dalhousie has salmon fishing right now during the dark of night. Glow in the dark spoons are the way to go right now. Peter's Tackle caries them for a very reasonable price (see the Local shops section for directions to Peter's here.

Dalhousie is a hop skip and a jump from Peter's. Fish the west side pier at the very end for night time salmon. It is adjacent to Lakeside park

As a followup to the reply from BigFish, what type of line would people recommend for this type of fishing? I typically fish the piers along the Huron shore line and use 8lb Ande Tournament; I suspect that I would be "under gunned", so I might spool up with 8lb PowerPro (which I think has a 17lb rating). I use a long rod and a stradic, so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, would it be too early to drift shiners / minnows from a float rod to try for Browns? I was thinking of perhaps trying Jordan or the end of Dalhousie's pier. BTW, nice group of people here, Brian and others are helpful and friendly!

Cheers,

Joe

Archived