Baits for Browns??

medlanch

depends where your fishing for them really,

In my experience, Floating Roe just as you do for rainbows works great in the streams and rivers..

Lots of wet fly patterns work right now too, pretty much chose your sizes and colors based on water clarity.

I almost always go for brighter chartreuse and pink/white colors cuz theres usually alot of rain this time of year. Putting a fly under a float and drift it just like roe along the bottom.

but in the shallow bays of lakes or marinas where the browns tend to hang out Ive caught them on cleo's, jigging spoons , small spinners and even 4 - 5" fat rattlin' raps worked fast along the shorelines.

My buddy got a nice brown around 6 or 7lb range with a fat rap in the spring in hamilton harbor as well so ya never know what they'll be into.

I need to catch more brown trout, they're so nice lookin'

all the ones I have ever caught have been while fishing for bows, and lakers..they have all been caught on 6" white twisters/1/4 oz plain jig head..mostly in the cold months

Same here, They are usually mixed in with other species. I don't know of a bait that specifically targets browns over another species? Curious if anyone does have one that cathces more browns? I've found that if the water is a little dirtier you get more browns but that may be because the rainbows have shut down?? :dunno:

Carolina rig with a worm in the dirty streams and a small 1" black twister in the cleaner streams.

I used to get alot of hits in the lake (shoreline) on Crocodiles red/gold (could see them but couldn't hook em :dunno: ) but most of the ones I've seen caught were on a cyclops.

Start of by mirroring what is available in the river system at the time you are fishing.

Browns are in the rivers spawning in the fall and will readily take roe and roe imitations due to the large amount of salmon roe availabe. As the weather gets colder and browns turn to feeding on minnows, use a minnow or minnow imitation. Don't be afraid to try something different like the others have commented on.

I have caught browns in both small and large rivers systems on roe, yarn, power minnows, single salmon eggs, flies (egg-sucking leaches, wooly buggers, streamers, stone-fly nymphs) and 3" & 4" pink and white senkos (rubber stick worm).

Start off basic and as you get more addicted to chasing trout, you will compile a huge aresenal of bait to throw at them!

Guest KoneZone

First I have to admit I am talking about fishing on the West Coast, Oregon specificlly. We have Brown's, Rainbow's, Mackinaw and Land Locked King, Coho and Sockeye Salmon. Some of the guys have been trolling with KonedZone Flashers and Cut Baits like Herring or Anchovies or Apex's , Spoons or Plugs. Obviously the Big Trout are eating other fish or bait they can get this big eating. I would try to mimic the feed they are targeting on a daily basis. Good luck fishin. :dunno:

A few have mentioned cranks. I'll second that. There are days when it's the only way I can get browns to bite. Cranks give you a huge advantage in stained or even muddy water. They send out vibration, and fish can zero in on them from a long ways away. If you toss out a crank and don't believe that it will catch a fish, it won't catch a fish. But if you believe in it, you can make it come to life and they'll slam it. And when a trout hits a crank, that's exactly what they do. They'll make your line go completely slack with a "from behind" hit. Or they'll nail it so hard from the side that you might just loose your rod if you don't have a good grip.

Archived