Niagara River/Garbage

RoeBaggin

Hello fellow fishermen/women. First post on this site, but have been an avid reader of the forums for a little while. I would like to touch upon my trip to the river this past Wednesday. I had picked up my cousin after the morning rain and headed down to the whirlpool for an afternoon of fishing. Fishing was actually decent, lots of salmon being taken on large chunks of skein. the water was also suprisingly clear after a solid rain. Couldn't help but notice the large amounts of garbage laying around :) very disapointed. I managed to fill my net up halfway with lure packages and coffe cups and lug it to the top. Garbage I have noticed has been a real problem as of late. The people who litter there must not be conscious about the affects of pollution on our waterways. They must not be interested in preserving the awesome fishery that is surrounding us. Anyways sorry for expressing my dissapointment and I will make an effort to help clean the whirlpool by bringing a small bag each trip down. I can only hope that other fisherman adopt this philosiphy and help preserve a truly awesome fishery. :(

RoeBaggin

Welcome to the site RoeBaggin. Looking forward to future reports from you and I hope they are not only on the trash. It seems to be brutal everywhere this year. Cheers. :o

Instead of lugging the garbage to the top, why not just gather it all up at the bottom and burn it all? If you have to carry other people's garbage up the whirlpool steps, it's almost as if the terrorists are winning.

I don't want to hear any bleeding hearts saying that its bad to burn trash like that.. well its not. It will make the experience way nicer.

In fact It would be nice to organize a trip for this coming monday morning to have a garbage sweep of the whirlpool.. Just pick it all up at once and burn it. Done and done.

Archived