Dunnville Report Thursday

Guest fishmaster

Guest fishmaster

Just got back from checking .good to see a bunch of members from the board out hunting for the walleye . things where slow at the dam this morning ice still over 4" .talked to Perch Man and i told them to try a spot where the guys where getting them all fall .the dam seems to be allways good till the mass of people arrive .i no i usally get out there first ice and a few other locals do the same .and we seem to do very well .once all the traffic starts i move away from the crowd .guys need to move around more and hunt these walleye down .its just like perch fishing more less .if u dont get any in 15 to 30 minutes move on .dont be afraid to move around try 6 fow to 30 fow. points drop offs mouths of channels the river is 6 miles long from the dam to the lake .and there is lots of wholes that hold walleye all year .i no its tough to move around at the moment with this warm spell melting ice and not makeing ice sucks for getting around in a truck sled or atv .u can also access the ice from Manness Marina on Main St east of my store .and over the bridge turn left at the Esso Gas follow staright till first big bend in the road park on the road not on people grass please .there is a channel there u can access out towards vic powells ship yard .if u need maps of the river ....River Side Marina has them next to the Arena .all the time i have been out on that river i seem to only get fish first light for about 2 hrs and 2 hrs before dark other than that usally get nottttin.Be Safe

Guest Sue Watson 1

I'm sorry guys, but you all have to give up on this Grand thing and get your butts out to Cook's. We have been out there two times this week and caught tons of fish. It has been unbelievable.

Guest SkeinMachine

The smelt were so thick on the Vex this morning,you couldn't make out your lure.

Ice is slightly thicker,down behind the cement plant.

Sue,we were off Gilford on Monday morning,was a good day for sure.

Gonna be messy on the lake tomorrow.............

Guest Sue Watson 1

I know today was not freezing and it did not effect the lake at all, but tommorrow may be another story, I wish I was going again, I had a blast today. My best day on Simcoe ever. Hope things don't thaw too much! Can't wait to go back again. Maybe we can hook up sometime Skeiner.

Tommy thanks for posting the pictures. I got kids so I guess I'm a light weight for now. Sue I can't drive to Simcoe just to fish. Not unless I'm going to spend the night and make a couple of days out of it. The Grand is closer and remember that it is stalked. I'm sure the bigger ones will be found soon.

Not sure who these gents are but here's a couple of bows caught in Dunville in the spring. I believe they posted that picture on this site.

dunville%20rainbows.jpg

That fishery is alive and well but it seems there is no one there except who visits this site and it's about time he got a digital camera. Back up those claims with undisputable evidence FM. Stop leaving it to us guys who are just now starting to explore the river. Having access to the lake I'm sure it's just a matter of time before some of those big lake walleye make their way upstream. I'm on the Niagara River but it is so shallow and hard to fish from shore. I'm still, after 3 years of living here, yet to convince a local to show me how to fish this area with any success.

Can anyone tell me if there is any open water in Dunnville at all where a dip net might be able to grab some of those smelt?

Archived