Niagara River Report New Years Eve

EJW88

Fished the river and bar today this morning. Day started out well on the bar. We were picking up a fish a drift. Probably woulda been getting double headers but the wind was so strong that we were getting push pretty fast. Plus we were trying to wizz around all the guys duck hunting. Waves were only 2 feet this morning. But rose to around five feet. Tried fishing the river after but kept getting push into shore due to the strong winds. The electric wasen't much help today. Today on the bar all the fish were coming on berkley power grubs in the 4" size or the 5" finesse fish. The berkley's were out preforming the finesse fish though. Water clarity was 2 to 3 feet. But it was dropping. Probably will be mud tommorrow. Some people at the ramp too are complete idiots. They park right at the top of the ramp, so to get your boat trailer down you have to cut a 90 degree angle. Boats were pretty fast in and out. Except for the people who pulled the boat out and stopped on the ramp unloading all there gear. Hooking up the transom saver and what ever else they were doing. lol. Anyways after all this babbling have a good New Years guys. :o

What colors of Berkley's do you use?

How do live minnows work at the Bar?

I fished there yesterday for the first time. Found out about the bar by following a charter out there. All I had was row bags but still managed to get 9 Lakers and 1 beautifull Brown. All the other boats were getting double and triple headers. It was unreal I have never seen anything like it. Coast guard was checking boats.

We were down there the past 2 days. I had 2 friends visiting from Ottawa and we had a blast. Dido on the idots parking in front of the launch.

We caught 65 lakers, 2 rainows and 1 brown.

We also got shot yesterday by one of those idiot duck hunters. The pellet spray pelted us and my boat and we were not happy. I called the coast guard and they brought a NY CO out to handle it. We didn't get a follow up report, but they spent a lot of time with the shotgun wielding idots.....worst of all, this happened in Can waters. :o Just be careful when you're down there.

Live minnows work great at the bar later in the year and even now. Many days minnows will be all they'll hit. Basically we fish them off three way swivels or when your lazy and your not hitting to much dead line you can fish them straight off a jighead. The berkley power grubs we use are in white or beige. Other colors don't seem to cut it that well. We fished those today straight off 1 to 1.5 once jigheads. Other baits that work are bucktail jigs, jigging spoons and finesse fish or those storm's 5" plastics. Some days they are picky and we either switch 4" baits or just fish minnows. Minnows are good because they work great in the river too and in the winter aren't that hard to keep alive. I'll post a link to a good article on the bar with a map and all the information you'll need.

http://www.niagarariverguides.com/sys-tmpl...gtheniagarabar/

In response to Marcus' comment about the duck hunters. I personally don't mind them at all. Most guys are very conscience with where there shooting and the shooting doesn't bother me at all. But with every sport theres idiots. There's plenty of room out there so there's really no reason to be getting hit by pellets. I just wish they'd open up a late duck season on our side too. :o It closes to early and it doesn't give us a chance to take advantage of all the late season birds.

Guest muskiehntr
Fished the river and bar today this morning. Day started out well on the bar. We were picking up a fish a drift. Probably woulda been getting double headers but the wind was so strong that we were getting push pretty fast. Plus we were trying to wizz around all the guys duck hunting. Waves were only 2 feet this morning. But rose to around five feet. Tried fishing the river after but kept getting push into shore due to the strong winds. The electric wasen't much help today. Today on the bar all the fish were coming on berkley power grubs in the 4" size or the 5" finesse fish. The berkley's were out preforming the finesse fish though.  Water clarity was 2 to 3 feet. But it was dropping. Probably will be mud tommorrow. Some people at the ramp too are complete idiots. They park right at the top of the ramp, so to get your boat trailer down you have to cut a 90 degree angle. Boats were pretty fast in and out. Except for the people who pulled the boat out and stopped on the ramp unloading all there gear. Hooking up the transom saver and what ever else they were doing. lol. Anyways after all this babbling have a good New Years guys.  :o

5551[/snapback]

"90 degree angle" you better stop smoking the pot, or drinking and driving. if you couldn't get around my car you probably need more experience driving a triller!!

and to think you were so nice to talk to if you had a problem with my car you could of asked me to move, instead you talk behind my back and call me an idiot. i was right there if you had a problem why didn't you tell me?

and another thing that slowed down the launch idiots breaking thier s...

EJW88 Wrote:

I personally don't mind them at all. Most guys are very conscience with where there shooting and the shooting doesn't bother me at all. But with every sport theres idiots. There's plenty of room

I have to disagree here....they were In Canadian waters,where duck season is closed , shooting from Boats that were under power ....towing duck decoys from out riggers, not one boat, but a bunch of them, these hunters were mixed in with the fishermen, a very dangerous way to hunt, unacceptable :o

Guest muskiehntr
Hey muskiehntr,

Did you catch any fish?

Happy New Year?

5571[/snapback]

sory vidarling i have to say no, i went 0 for 1. i'll be back tomorrow.

"90 degree angle" you better stop smoking the pot, or drinking and driving. if you couldn't get around my car you probably need more experience driving a triller!!

and to think you were so nice to talk to if you had a problem with my car you could of asked me to move, instead you talk behind my back and call me an idiot. i was right there if you had a problem why didn't you tell me?

and another thing that slowed down the launch idiots breaking thier s...

5570[/snapback]

I didn't want to create an argument here. Yes I agree calling people idiots isn't right but it does make it difficult for people to back in when theres cars parked there. I wasen't driving because I not even old enough to drive that was my dad. The guys waiting to put in weren't in the way at all. I agree we were a little slow and I still have no clue why our belt broke on the winch. Again I see your reason your pee'd off but it does make it difficult to back in.

well parking up infromt of the ramp is just stupid.. the parks come down and see this then everone gets tickets downthere ..a litttle common sence would go along way but common sense isnt so common anymore

Guest muskiehntr

yes fullofgas it was wrong to do this, and whinning and complaining about it is what is going to bring down the heat. alot easeier tell tell the guy that is right there, to move than to complain later. look at the parking down there anyway none!! alot easier if you work together.

Guest Markus
  and whinning and complaining about it is what is going to bring down the heat.

Complaints have been made because folks are illegally parking...including the guides. This is what is bringing the "heat" down.

My trailer is a little longer then most and I had a little trouble backing down the other day. I would have gladly asked the owner to move his machine, but instead I had everyone turn their backs and pretend that I wasn't having trouble.

Lets just not illegally park. It's a simple solution. If everyone keeps disrigarding the signs, the parks will eventually just close their access road. There is no arguement here, just follow the same parking laws laid out to all of us and we'll all have a long and fun season fishing on the niagara.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Complaints have been made because folks are illegally parking...including the guides.  This is what is bringing the "heat" down.

Lets just not illegally park.  It's a simple solution.  If everyone keeps disrigarding the signs, the parks will eventually just close their access road.  There is no arguement here, just follow the same parking laws laid out to all of us and we'll all have a long and fun season fishing on the niagara.

5624[/snapback]

:D

Can't see them closing the access road. Where would the Fire department launch there search and rescue team.

Guest bradley_p

let me tell you something if they ever close a access road for my fire dept. me and the guys would make one trust me we have the tool to do it :D

brad

Archived