A question about Corkies

Mike Pike

I've notice some of you guys adding a Corky to your roe presentation. But the looks of it, it can be an effective little addition at times.

My question is; Is it really as simple as just slipping the Corky onto your line before tying on the hook? Or is there any other tackle( beads )involved?

Might seem like a simple question, but I'm a simple guy...

The corkie will slide and fish will smack it...I run style 42 eagle claw hooks (size 10 or other depending on vis)...Push the corkie down on to the eye = no false hits.....I also switch it up with single egg size pieces of twister....This is especially deadly on the float in dark with glow stick and glow twister...Have hit numerous bows in the dark before most guys even run a drift...Also try same tactic, chatruese corkie, #8 claw and baby white twister (especially now until Feb)...

Guest canadadude

Good point doodle I've run corkies the same way with 42 style hook #10 they have a big eye and are more of wide gap hook!! Thanks for the reminder I just found a pack of those hooks and was wondering what the heck I used them for!!! :oB) Its all coming back to me now :lol: I've been using more of octapus style hook lately and the corkies were sliding down the shank so I use a bead,it seems to work ok!! :)

I like the ones that have the little sort of fins on the side, and spin as you drift them, usually try to get the "rainbow" colour ones but they are hard to find some times, if you can get some big shiners this time of year, they work great, but as stated earlier, like doodle said, because this style slides up and down your line, you do get some fish that hit and miss the hook, all you see is bite marks in your float

Guest Steelheader

I've started using a toothpick or a tiny splinter of wood and jammed it in the hole and then break it off. Keeps it from sliding up and down. Can't say if I catch more fish because of it, but it works.

Steelheader said it best I think. Keep the corky in position using a toothpick like one might do to a bullet sinker in bass fishing. Sometimes the corky will float up the line and you'll get false hits. Good luck and don't forget to experiment!

Pauly

Good ideas Steelheader and Pauly. I was using those tiny rubber bobber stops on the weekend, but the toothpick idea seems easier. I've only used toothpicks when texas rigging worms for bassin' as you mentioned. Neat to take an idea for one type of fishing and adapt it for another.

Thanks.

Guest canadadude

Listen dudes let the corkie slide up the line and don't worry about the odd false hit!! Or pin the corkie to the hook and watch how fast a steelie uses it for leverage and pops that #10 hook out and swims for freedom!! I realy don't care how you rig it my corkies slide and my last 1000 steelies didn't pop off because of the corkie!! There is a good reason why we don't want that corkie fixed and trust me the false hits are so minimal who cares ! Do what you want but if you hook alot of steelies and know how crazy they fight the last thing you want is a corkie/hook in there jaws!!!

Archived