What do you guys like to go after this time of year?

jwl

Just curious as to what some of you guys and gals like to target this time of year when out there on the water,being as this years looks a little goofed up for some hard water fun, there is still lots of great fishing options out there.

Myself, I have alot of fun just setting out to catch anything really, but always find it a rewarding challenge to get out there, decide on a spot, and decide on what will be the target of the outing. It always puts a smile on my face to be able to use some of the fishing knowledge I have learned over the years, being it first hand hours put out there, or some great advice from a fellow angler, and go out there and actually catch the target species of the day.

We have some of the best fishing in the country right here to enjoy, lots of winter fishing options for a huge variety of fish: crappies, bluegills, perch,walleye, cats, pike, trout, misc coarse fish all can be caught this time of year.

I love any good day out there, in the boat, on the bank, on the ice, but have to admit I like to try and catch big fish, I am pretty much 95% catch and release and don't even really enjoy eating fish, only maybe once or twice a year I have a fresh fish fry although my wife would wish it was wayyy more often. So alot of my time is spent trying to a species that have trophy sized potential, as opposed to hitting a spot for a bucket of slab crappies or nice jumbo perch for the table, I do however still like to spend days here and there out to target some of these guys and have a ball catching 20-30 or more fish in a day as compared to trying to track down the big quarry where a successful day might only consist of catching 1 or 2 fish with the reward of them being really big.

I also have a blast no matter what it is I actually catch, I just think catching big fish is fun, wether it be a trout of a lifetime, or a huge carp, cat, sucker whatever, all the same to me as far as the fun goes, I amnot doing it for the table, just for a good time in the great out doors.

Would be happy to share in some good winter/cold water fishin tactics ect... :lol:

Guest Slyatv

Well My Neighbour needed to go fishing he's got a good boat ..no truck ..As a good Neighbour I helped .

He went out to 'the hole' and was fishing with his 'fishing rod' ... HE went 0 for 3 HA HA HA HA HA HA so he says to me '' I lost it and turned my rod into a 'flingit' '' .. Then after realizing WHAT He had done ! ! ! HA HA HA HA HA he headed for shore for a ''STICK'' .. Lent him Mine and my new Half and Half Williams 2 for 2 HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Yup we're fryin' Whitefish tonight .... No fish finder But he was in 'the hole' .... 67-71 ft of water out off lands end ... ten minutes after setting up ... limited out .. Their Hungry folks and Smokey's is open and he has Minnows

pppphhhhhtttt Minnows HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA '' It'll be a piece o' tin for me '' yup it will ... !!!

billyholmes.jpg

nice fish in the pic slyatv, just shows ta go ya that if you can adapt to situations like this winter has brought us, like lack of ice, you can still get out there and catch a bunch of fish on the open water.

For example, go out and try some of your favorite spring fishing tactics and waters, if you think about it the conditions on most bodies of water now are pretty simular to spring.

Those who like to catch a bunch of slab crappies for the frying pan, try going to one of your productive spring time holes, or try out small bay type areas, or corners around the shoreline where you might get em in the spring, if you head out later in the day, these areas will be warmer than the main body of water, and will draw in the baitfish, then in turn draw in hungry fish looking for a meal, can be as simple as just putting on a float and a small shiner to get into an action packed day. If there is deeper water adjacent to any spot you may be trying out, use a slip float, and you can easily adjust to try different depths and hopefully increase your catch. Some great options out there for perch fishing as well, and pike fishing too. If this weather keeps up, I am going to try a heck of alot more fishing in the boat as well.

Guest Slyatv

First light !?!?!?!? What am I hunting here ....Around here I'd say 8 am Timmy's then the water 8:25am the boat ramp... you can only catch 2 each right .......I'll be back by noon....... NEXT WEEK would be FINE ! ! !

693 registered members and no one is fishing or has any favorite fish catching tactics :Gonefishing::lol: , only a couple guys, come on man it's Canada you have to have something to do in the winter besides drink beer :P This is a fishing forum isn't it :D

Guest thorldcamfisher

very true, not many people are fishing this time of year or arent catching any ( me, thorold fisher and fishing addict) :D might try to hit the canal today see if anything coems of it :Gonefishing:

Guest canadadude

I seemed to be addicted to those winter trouties this year !!!!!! I think its time to find a 12 step program anybody want start a" troutie anonmonaus" chapter!!! We have to go perching 5 times a week untill cured and clean our homes of all trout related equipment !!! :lol::P:lol::Gonefishing::D

Archived