Eating Lake Trout??

JFish

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here eats the Lake Trout that they catch out at the bar? Whenever I finally get out there I am hoping for at least one brown, I was told by a friend that they are his favourite trout to eat (although everyone has their own preference). Anyways, does anyone find a huge difference, would they recommend staying away from eating niagara bar lake trout all together?

Thanks.

Guest Markus

Tommy we kept a couple smaller ones last week. My buddies from Ottawa wanted to to take a couple fillets back home with them, so we filleted a couple up and packed them in a small cooler. When they got to the security line at the airport the security officer asked what's was in the cooler. My buddy said "Tell ya what, if it sets of the metal detector...you can keep it" hahahaha. It went through ok. haha.

The small ones were tough to find.

lol Markus.

I have been told that lake ontario lake trout will light up your garden if you plant them upright. its so you dont have to buy those garden lights for your garden

:D The only problem with smoking lake trout is you have to buy the large papers and trying to keep it lit, the oil don't burn to good :unsure: Catfish :angry:

Ive never kept a Lake Ontario laketrout before

I have herd that Lakers arent good to eat from Lake O because they are the slowest growing fish of all the slamonids. Meaning that they have been in the lake longer.

I do however keep a couple bows/browns/small salmon each year & enjoy them very much.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Found this on the Pauky's NY board

I thought you might be interested in this scientific paper which explains how Lake Trout were made commercially extinct in Lake Ontario in the '60s through exposure to dioxins.

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewScience/wildlife/2003/2003-0724cooketal.htm ://http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewS...24cooketal.htm

I think this article is very instructive on the incredible toxicity of dioxin. Research has shown that at exposures of 30 ppt (parts per trillion) Lake Trout fry begin to die. At exposures of 100 ppt and greater, ALL Lake Trout fry are killed. Lake Trout went extinct because they were unable to successfully reproduce. Only the passage of time will cure this problem. Right now, the dioxin level has fallen to a level which allows for some reproduction of Lake Trout, but of course, such fish are dioxin contaminated themselves, and so create an extreme risk if humans consume them.

Hopefully, this article will help some of you who vehemently disagree with me, to understand why I'm so concerned about dioxin contamination and consumption advisories of the fish. Incidentally, dioxin is the cancer causing ingredient present in Agent Orange, and it is still causing terrible health problems and eventual death among members of our armed forces who served on the ground in Viet Nam.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Needless to say eating anything that feeds near bottom or winters in the rivers esp. the Niagara are not on my eating list. After all, all the Great lakes(except ontario) drain through the Niagara!

Archived