fishing splake

charlieD

Guest Virt from T-Bay

This is how we do it in T-Bay. All you need is a hook and minnow, split shot, 6 to 10 pound spool of line and a branch. Hook the minnow to the hook, tie the line to the hook :rolleyes: , add the split shot about 1 foot up from the hook. Stick the branch into the snow. Lower your line into the water to bottom or wherever you are getting action and put a loop in the line. Take the loop and add it to the branch so it bends and add a piece of flagging tape to the line and put your spool on the ice. When you can't see your flagging tape and your stick is sticking straight up run like heck.

FYI- Make sure your spool is not frozen and is free spooling or you will get a surprise.

If possible get off the ice. We usually build a nice fire and have a few coffees, best way to spend the day. What I wouldn't give to be doing the above exactly at this moment.

Often splake will hit when you start pulling up your line so be ready for it.

Swedish pimples and buckshots worked for me.

:blush: Virts fishin without shelter....we used to do that up north also when it was cold..and it was REAL cold sometimes. The fire would be the only thing keeping your toes from freezing. Now we have all sorts of huts and heaters to keep us on the ice and jiggin. I agree with him though Charlie, minnies are where it's at in the winter for sure, either swimmin free or jigged. Good article here

http://www.fishontario.com/icefishing/arti...3992&page=1

we used to catch em in the national park on a white tube jig, the old guys used to say it was just what looked the most like a big ole smelt. so i guess a hunk of smelt would work. the thing was we had a tactic some may use it for other deep water fish 'flash and dash' two or three really big jigs then reel it in as fast as you can. we taught it as the fish being in thier prime there is no way you can reel faster then the fish can swim now its also not unlikely to foul hook fish this way cause they wanna get it so bad they will just slam it with thier heads or tails.

I think lures can outfish live bait at times. A sonar and a jigging rap can do wonders. This is where skill at playing a lure come in. Oh ya, don't tip your jigging raps. :blush:

Hey tommy...don't have sonar but have the jigging raps...gonna try a bunch of things, homemade flash jigs and stuff....Denis helped me alot today at the store.

Gee and I thought minnows from the infected zone were the best...geez guess I better go fish Port to learn how to use them.

Guest Virt from T-Bay

The reason I mention to get off the ice in not for shelter but because I find Splake and Specks very sensitive to any type of vibrations or shadows on the ice.

good point....but if you get into them pretty good...thats alot of running back and forth...I used to be a good track athlete but man that could get insane...LOL. Hopefully I won't have to fish for them to far from shore to try this!

Guest canadadude

Hey tommy...don't have sonar but have the jigging raps...gonna try a bunch of things, homemade flash jigs and stuff....Denis helped me alot today at the store.

Gee and I thought minnows from the infected zone were the best...geez guess I better go fish Port to learn how to use them.

:blush::lol::(;):)

I am pretty sure he has the under water camera....but all my money is going to gas as I will be doing alot of driving from Peterborough to almost ottawa to Port perry and even maybe bay of quinte...I wanna head to all these places. Plus I may be gone for almost a week so a week rental could be steep!

there are a couple places that you should be able to buy LOCAL bait up that way depending on which way you take up, there is a little place just outside Marmora right on the side of the hwy7 I think it's called something like Chris's Live Bait and tackle, and also on hwy 62 when you go through Madoc, there is a big park/skateboard park, across the road from there is a PetroCan/24 hour store, a couple houses up from the store there is a mom and pop tackle/bait store that has bait they catch locally and prices are decent too..small bait to 6-8 inch chubs, don't know if that helps Charlie, depending on which way you plan on heading up to where you are going.

if that's the way you are going Charlie, there is another one too just outside Havelock I think if I remeber correctly, it's a brown shack type building with a couple antler racks on the outside, don't know the name of it, but if you are taking 7 east to 62 then going north, you will pass by all 3, there is also the gas station/baitstore in Madoc as well,but the prices there are pretty steep..like 8-9 bucks a doz it's been for years up there in the winter, the mom and pop place is your better bet there,only a couple bucks for small bait, and 5-6 bucks a doz for big chubs

Archived