Pefferlaw feb 08/07

Sirfishalot

Well I was off this week and don't you know it I get a #%* cold. So today I said the hell with it and wed. while at GF house asked her boy what he would rather do thurs. ,got to school or fish. I never seen a 13yr old make a decision that fast.

Called Steves huts in pefferlaw and booked us in last minute. Left early expecting squalls on the 48 but nothin, arrived early. they ran us out in the bombardier to the huts located in 15 to 20 fow. The hut we had was at 17ft. I thought that was to shallow for jumbos but what do I know. The winds were light but as the day progressed they were whipping up at over 30K by the time we left the ice at 6:00 and more snow falling.

The action was immediate and nonstop from 7:30 to 12 and then a lull of about 1 1/2 hr where very few were caught. The action picked up again until 4:30 where it kicked into high gear. I lost count very early on in the day. Selective harvest was practiced . Nothing under the spread of my hand which is 9 1/2" was kept. Kept a few on the 12" mark and one hog just broke 13"

We tried all kinds of presentations and all produced something . The hot ticket though was Rattlin buckshot about a foot off bottom , tipped with a berkley 1" red power grubs and a minnow hooked through the back. We tried through the mouth but the perch were just ripping them off. Once we hit this combo we were down to one rod each.

Had a little scare coming in. Bombardier broke through the ice at a pressure crack and luckily the driver caught it quick and backed us out. Scared the doo-doo out of the boy......ok ,maybe me too. Seem to be alot of cracks right now anybody venturing out be careful and stick to trails.

Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.....Thom

DSCF0544.jpg

DSCF0545.jpg

bored boy playing torpedos

DSCF0546.jpg

a couple of his biguns

DSCF0548.jpg

warming hands after farting around outside.

DSCF0550.jpg

DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

a couple of the afternoon hogs.

Guest canadadude

Awsome fish sirfishalot ;) Great way to spend a Thursday and I bet you scored some big time points with the boy!! :D Taking a kid fishing like that is worth 100X more then a day in boring school, good for you :dunno: Some dandy looking perchies there aswell, enjoy a great meal!!!

hey thanks for sharing in the day, I see the boy's decisions wasn't "nawww I want to go to school instead" ;) glad you guys had a great day out, and everything turned out ok when the machine tried to tangle with the crack in the ice. That would be a pretty scary deal for sure. The ice should be double the thickness it is this time of year in places for sure.

Hey Steve, we were going for 1/2 day perch 1/2 day laker/whitey but they had probs putting out some huts yesterday and we stayed on the perch .Good thing he said it was real slow for them not much caught way out....Thom

Archived