Reel

Hellfish

Hey, kinda looking for a new reel curious on what everyone thinks, looking for a reel strictly for catfish and carp with a larger diameter spool as well, maybe a bait runner?? not too sure what i want, also needs to have a good drag too preferbly not silent, thanx in advance.

Hey Hellfish had a great time on the ice the other day. As far as the reel goes, I have been using a Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6000 for all my catfish , carp and muskey fishing. Its a great reel and it also has a good drag on it for the big one and small ones alike. There is also this "clicker" you can press on or off for loud drag sound. I bought mine at the outdoor store on King street for $90 last year. Next time we hook up i'll bring it out for you to take a look. If your going for the big ones you can't go wrong with this reel. Well dude have a good one and i'll catch ya later.

my Quantum SS3 longstroke, holds lots of line for a smaller reel, extra spoon, drag is smooth as anything, nothing special about the reel as far as a big price tag goes, got it on a med action 7 footer combo like 6 years back for around $100 bucks, it's my "everyday" reel. Have caught tonnes of big fish on it, even used it in the summer off the riggers for some big Erie eyes. I mean I use it hard, it's landed me on 6-8 pound test, carp pushing 40lbs, big channels in the teens, steelies, lakers,30lb musky,11-12 lb eyes, and still going strong. Actually it has outlasted the rod I got it with, got so many big fish on the med action rod that it wore the back bone out, and would bend down to the handle, broke it on a snag last spring. reel still going strong today, even have no problems with it at all in the winter.

Like I said nothing special about it at all, some guys probably laugh at it and say it's junk, but does me just fine, not a bells and whistles kinda guy, some guys have more wrapped up in a good float/pin set up than I have in my 4 best rods put together :) . I save my money for expenses incurred on my other fishing toys like my boats and my trailer/camp. :worthy:

Archived