Jigging Spoons

Hellfish

Jigging spoons should be in everyone's bass arsenal. In deeper water in particular they can shine. Lake Erie bass love them! Typically they're jigged verically below the boat but I also cast them and rip them off the bottom. EXPERIMENT. There'e a guy I know who fishes spoons religiously for bass in all conditions. I personally use Kastmasters and Candlefish. Good Luck.

i have often asked this question often to no avail.

what makes it a jigging spoon?

i know the obvious difference between the big trolling spoons used for trout and salmon but is a jigging spoon more like a little cleo?

Guest canadadude

Cleo's are really for casting and trolling,but they can be used jigging aswell with great results I might add!! Jigging spoons are more of heavier weight designed to drop quickly and jig verticly under the boat where the angler imparts most of the action!! This dosn't mean they can't be casted and jigged in either I mean experiment!! :rolleyes: Speaking of Cleos I have watched a couple dudes throwing them and more or less jigging them in down a port with good success :blink:

Lake Erie bass jigging spoons are mostly just a hunk of metal with some flash. Kastmasters, crippled herrings & hopkins are the ones I use. The only one that I use that has some action to it is Silver Buddies.

Don't worry Rory, you'll get some spoon lessons in the spring Buffalo tournaments.

I usually replace any treble hook with a single hook.

thanx for the info, Tom preety much what i thought ahunk of metal with flash, seems easy enough to make rather then buying them :dunno. Preety stoked for spring Tom cant wait to slaughter the smallies, and i need all the help i can get ;) . Come on spring. while im posting may as well add a report as well. Went out to Simcoe Steves fish huts for perch thought we would at least get 20 a piece got 2 perch maybe 6 inches and all the other 7 cabins only got a handful as well, the bite was def off. the service was good great people good ice huts but no fish at all. but i did manage to land a 2.5lb Alewife Herring was a PB for me never caught one b4. preety good fight all the way up caught him in about 20ft of water was fishing in about 35ft. All and all dont think i would rent another hut might just bring the sled out and see where the fish arebitting that day. Anyways im out, Peace.

got pics of the herring as well but it is on my phone right now will post them tomorrow.

Archived