Lake Nipigon

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I posted this on another board awhile back and got some interest from SteveK and Big-O

I'm planning a trip to L.Nipigon for the 3rd week of June. I'll be staying on Shakespear Island,for a week or more camping on one of the beaches in the McRitchie Shortcut. it looks to be a 20k run out to the Island.

MNR Map

If anyone has any interest and the time,a boat is not a must, if we can team up with those that do have one.

I planned this trip last year but it got nixed because my friend from Texas lost his father,only my death will stop me this year :lol:

L._Nipigon2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CaptGar
Anyone know anyone that has been to L.Nipigon and has launched on the eastern shore in the Beardmore area?

7201[/snapback]

Hi . I would be interested i have fished L Nipigon and is a dangerious place i would seriously recomend a guid that knows the area. You can launch out of Beardmore very nice marina and camp ground there, never launched there only out of south bay.

Hi . I would be interested i have fished L Nipigon and is a dangerious place i would seriously recomend a guid that knows the area. You can launch out of Beardmore very nice marina and camp ground there, never launched there only out of south bay.

7216[/snapback]

Hi CaptGar

Dangerious place,I hear you there, been in contact with a couple of ppl that fish it alot. I plan on camping out on the Islands,theres always a calm side to an island,do you have any contact info on the Marina,websites for that area are few and far between. I do have contact info for Poplar Lodge Park and The Hook Shop.

Guest CaptGar
Hi CaptGar

Dangerious place,I hear you there, been in contact with a couple of ppl that fish it alot. I plan on camping out on the Islands,theres always a calm side to an island,do you have any contact info on the Marina,websites for that area are few and far between. I do have contact info for Poplar Lodge Park and  The Hook Shop.

7248[/snapback]

I only know a few locals . I have been guided into Virgin falls once.What are you after Specs or Lakers ? Poplar Lodge is Laker headquarters the Northern part i think is a commericial walleye fishery.

I would recomend camping at South Bay on the main land. More times than not i have met a bunch of guys at the launch camping out waiting for a window in the weather to either get out to their camps or out for a few hours and back. The lower river offers great steelies,res bows, specks and lakers below the Alexander and Nipigon Bay L Superior also has great oppertunities.

I only know a few locals . I have been guided into Virgin falls once.What are you after Specs or Lakers ? Poplar Lodge is Laker headquarters the Northern part i think is a commericial walleye fishery.

I would recomend camping at South Bay on the main land. More times than not i have met a bunch of guys at the launch camping out waiting for a window in the weather to either get out to their camps or out for a few hours and back.  The lower river offers great steelies,res bows, specks and lakers below the Alexander and Nipigon Bay L Superior also has great oppertunities.

7260[/snapback]

Going after Lakers and Specs. Nipigon is now down to 1 spec over 22"or 24"

Lake Trout hasn't changed.

Waiting for a window,I was talking to a guy about that,he told me he waited for 3 days at the launch before he could get out on the lake.

"Northern part I think is a commericial walleye fishery."

This is true.

I've got all the time in the world to get out on the lake. I can sit at home waiting for a good forecast.

Thanks for the info!!!

Hey Laketrout,

Check out Ontario Out Of Doors ( 2002 or 2003) for an article on Nipigon by Gord Ellis. He has been camping there and navigating that water around the island a couple times a summer since he was in his late teens. It was a very informative article that I'm sure you'll find useful, and yes he isn't subtle about the dangerousness of that lake even in june. If you can't find it, I'll check my stack of past issues to find the exact date and issue. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm at work and the magazines are all at home. Let me know on this post.

Wow Brian...that is a long haul...17 hours! I would love to go and catch a giant laker...but that is really far!

7302[/snapback]

17hrs isn't really that long! When you can try and catch fish like this

Lake Trout

Copy_of_trout_40_lbs_crop.jpg

Or a nice Spec.Trout

brookie%20colours.JPG

I take it your going for a Whole week, Brian?  It would be awsome to go, especially to hook into one of those beasts!  We will have to see!

7324[/snapback]

Yes I'm either leaving here on a Thur. or a Tues. Might be for 7-10 days,longer if the lake blows up bad.

Archived