Steelhead eggs!!

charlieD

Guest LloydChristmas
Need you help again boys.  Opened up the steelhead to discover to 2 sacs were complete and still in there!  Need you advice on what to do with them so I can use them as bait!!!

6226[/snapback]

what you've got there is probably skein

dry it out on a paper towel, cut it up in small pieces and roll it up in some borax (found at your local dominion)

bag and fish just like a normal roe

you could do without the borax as well but the eggs pop during freezing and you can't not freeze it - it will stink

sometimes skein outfishes regular eggs

good luck

Put them in a baggie and place them in the fridge.  I'll be by tomorrow to pick them up. :P

6232[/snapback]

Good one Markus! Well If you would have replied to my post about a fishing partner out at the Niagara Bar, I may have just gave them to you! HaHa just kidding!

Guest LloydChristmas
How long do you have to wait after you put the borax on?

6234[/snapback]

I usually just roll them up and put them in a jar in the fridge and then tuy as much as I need for a day's fishing.

skein is not my first choice but I try to have some in early spring just in case

Guest cplummer
Need you help again boys.  Opened up the steelhead to discover to 2 sacs were complete and still in there!  Need you advice on what to do with them so I can use them as bait!!!

6226[/snapback]

you can always fry em up in butter!!!!!

Guest bigfish1965

Simple Method for Curing Skein at Home:

When removing roe from a fish keep away from water. A quick rinse is ok to remove blood but will require a drying process to remove the extra moisture. Never freeze eggs in water for later use. Always cure roe as soon as possible. Roe will keep in a refrigerator sealed in Ziploc bag for up to a week before curing, but it is recommended that curing be done as soon as possible for better quality.

* Place roe in the refrigerator in paper towels over night to drain

* Unwrap and place on news paper in

* Cover with borax (get into seams of skeins)

* To have colored eggs mix in a small package of sugar free Jell-O (Optional step) or buy Procure instead of borax. Dry food coloring can be added to the dry powder to get desired shades.

* Cut Into bait size pieces

* Cover in borax

* Spread out individual baits on newspaper

* Let air dry until crust has appeared on one side

* Flip over baits until the form crust on top side again

* Place in container and cover with fresh borax

* Label and date the container

* Freeze or place in refrigerator up to two months

* If frozen, a quick zap in the microwave can be used to thaw

Hide them well in the fridge so the wife doesn't see them

I personally never cure them...Wash'em, put the pelts into seperate bags ( trip size), get all the air out , label and freeze....Just ake out a pelt the night before you go ,unthaw on a plate and tie...If you're really ambitious after a long day on the river, tie them up when you get home that night and freeze..Saves you the agony on the next spur of the moment trip...Just unthaw and presto!!!

Deadly in the winter..

Oh ya I also refreeze the left overs in a seperate jar that's labelled Night Bags for any dark or early a.m (glow tactics)..Just the scent is essential...Save your sweetness for the daylight...They also come in handy when you have a buddy that continually runs out of bags and tries to mooch off of you (because they were to lazy to tie enough)..lol

Doodle

<')))><]

Archived