Cooks Bay

ham&eggs

Went out from Gilford.My cousin & I got 70 perch.Used minnows, jigging rapalas & maggots.Moved around abit til we found good schools.One spot we had no action for 1.5 hrs.,Moved abit deeper & nothing but fish.Others seemed to be doing good,& some not.Moving around definitely pays off.Will be going back again.5 to 6 in. of ice.Quads. & snowmobiles were out.Pretty busy for a Fri.

Chilli I got some here next time to stop in you can run a copy both cooks bay and the whole lake. Did you pick up your new york state licence yet??? I hear your casting into international waters these days :D

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
  Did you pick up your new york state licence yet???  I hear your casting into international waters these days  :D

6325[/snapback]

I heard the same thing Denis's,NYSCG had a report from an American duck hunter,seems theres someone casting across the river endangering them :D

heading up there tomorrow .hopefully we can do as good.would love some fresh perch.thanks for the report.

6338[/snapback]

I was along with ham&eggs, took us a bit to locate them good and then it was non stop till dusk,

Love the hut Denis, used it as a wind break, it's going to get a lot of use for sure

Quick tip, wear the foam knee pads tilers wear, keeps you dry and comfortable when kneeling at the hole

1950Brett_hut_2-med.jpg

Got out yesterday to Gilford. Tons of people there. Caught lots, but found the average size of the perch to be on the lower side. Lots of 9 inchers and a few bigguns to mix in. Beautiful day to be on the ice. :lol:

Markus, nothing wrong with 9" , filleted up 50 and still have my fingers, had some last nite, very yummy! probably got around 4-5 lbs of meat off those critters. i would prefer to get 25 12" plus than 50 9" though, save me a lot of time and get basically the same amount of meat, but i'm not complaining, happy eating, John.

Can Cooks Bay take such a beating everyday? I keep hearing of people (not only on this site) posting 30+ perch everyday...and that's only reports from people that actually go ahead and post on boards. And alot of these reports are from out of Gilford Rd. It just seems like an insane amount of fish are taken daily from that area. I don't know about perch breeding patterns or any of that, but it just seems like a huge blow to their populations. Can they really handle it? I'm heading out myself Jan 30th and Feb 6th, and I'm hoping that all the fish aren't caught by then :lol:

Guest erie_guy
Can Cooks Bay take such a beating everyday?  I keep hearing of people (not only on this site) posting 30+ perch everyday...and that's only reports from people that actually go ahead and post on boards.  And alot of these reports are from out of Gilford Rd.  It just seems like an insane amount of fish are taken daily from that area.  I don't know about perch breeding patterns or any of that, but it just seems like a huge blow to their populations.  Can they really handle it?  I'm heading out myself Jan 30th and Feb 6th, and I'm hoping that all the fish aren't caught by then  :lol:

6516[/snapback]

...well then I guess you'd really be upset by the 500+ that go home to Michigan, and more local destinations. If we could stop people from raping the lake, and reduce the phosphourus and pesticide input we could go back to 100/day limit.

I'll agree that when the lake is full of people that are limiting out it's hard on the fish population. I'd like to learn more though before condemming it. Maby it's the fish that are rapeing the lake because there is nothing keeping them in check :lol: .

Erie Guy. There is a fellow here suggesting we start adding phosphourus to the great lakes because the zebra muscles have got it so clear that the bait has nowhere to hide and therefore is depleting. I myself think that we have done enough damage and should leave the damage control to mother nature. People will stop going to Simcoe if the numbers start going down.

Archived