Min boat and motor size

snoryder

I've seen car toppers in there before but probable wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less than a 14footer and a 15hp for the drift area. I've got a 40hp and a 15ft boat and have never even thought about going up into the gorge area

jjcanoe

I fished a few areas of the lower no prob with my wife's unlce in his 14 footer..deep modified V with a 25 and been comfortable all day..and I have a,15.1 footer with a 40 as well, and there are places up into the gorge are that I wouldn't take my boat either, and I am pretty comfortable in alot of situations on the water for the day

if you are looking into buying a boat...you should mainly think about what kind of use you expect to get out of it...the size of the bodies of water you mainly plan to fish, and if you want to use the boat as well for other activities such as just boating/skiing/tubing or whatever, and try and find something that will all around suit your boating/fishing needs, and then it's really just a matter of your comfort zone for the size boat you have depending on where you are fishing, you really don't need a big boat to fish alot of parts of the river..a reliable motor, well I for sure would have that, I am sure many of us have been "stuck" out there for a while, and or helped other boaters out over the years as well. I know I have cut my fishing day short on a few occasions to help lend someone a tow.

A 14fter even with just a 9.9 will get you fishing all the drifts in the wider section of the river from artpark down. A 14fter with a 25 will be no probs, but do not go further up than artpark.

I've personally fished the river for many years out of a 14ft with a 25hp. It wasen't that bad at all as long as your not foolish. We use to fish the Art Park down. Once your past the sanddocks for the most part the river isn't that scary. Most drifts are only pushing you along at 1.5 to 2 mph. We even fished the bar for lakers in this boat, mind you it was days where the winds were in the right direction. Alot of my Dad's old fishing magazines have pictures of guys in a 12ft and a 9.9 and they seemed to have managed well. As always use caution and don't risk your life over a fish.

Archived