VHS News good and bad.

Well I recieved some good news bad news today. The Welland River upstream of the aquaducts has been classified as VHS negative. This is good news right?

The bad news is that puts a stop to our walleye stocking program for the year. We will still be tagging fish in Dunnville but not collecting eggs for the Welland River fishery. This may also be bad news for the harvesters like because there is negative waters in the infected zone. This doesn't stop me from catching bait from positive waters and fishing there, but once again we hope you guys won't do that until we get a grasp on this virus.

This may get overturned so don't get to hopped up. I'd really like to raise the fish and release them back to Lake Erie or the Upper Niagara but that will take years of bureaucratic B.S. to ever happen. Anybody need some soy mash. Got 2 88 pound bags we don't need anymore :D

Dan

I also recieved an email update about that today when I got home from Dunnville today..you are right it is a "good news bad news" kind of scenario for sure, and the catch ratio of females is way up today too, we kept 2 to hold for hatchery stock, the rest weren't quite ready, but it's nice to see the girls starting to show up.

Who knows, they may decide that the fish can get through there, but for now, yep a dissappointment for the "tri-clubs" walleye programs for the year for sure

Yup thats sad thats for sure, but there def is enough bait around there anyway dont need to bring any just bring a dip net and your good all day with 1 scoop. Good to hear about the negative in vhs over there def is a good thing.

Guest fishmaster

Chilli i was told all the fish that were tested off lake erie in the past were not positive also ...Mr .Cooper tested minnows from Long Point and Rainbows no VHS ...

I have recieved a couple emails from members of the MNR over the last 2 days about this, they are still trying to decide some issues on some of the stocking areas in question, or perhaps come up with another "plan" so to speak so we won't lose this years stocking options between the "tri-clubs"..mostly what they are trying to work out is classifying certain areas as "impassable barriers" to migratory fish.

Thanks Jack my blip is gone and I did eventually get the emails.

It is an interesting thing that is developing for sure.

Here's our newest member with perhaps our oldest one waiting for the MNR shock boat.

new-old.jpg

Here's a place only the MNR wants to get caught fishing.

electroboat.jpg

You are right Dan, it is a very interesting thing that is unfolding pertaining to some recent issues, at the same time it is also a great thing and a privilege to see some things unfold first hand, and be getting up to date info all the time via email, and to be right in the forefront gaining first hand knowledge right from the source, as well as being able to ask questions, and also to be able to add any insight we may have along the way. B) It is a great feeling to know that we are out there tryimng to make a difference for all, and generations to come :Gonefishing:

By the way, email me a few of those pics from your awesome camera work on the catch boat yesterday :D

And it also would seem to me, that between the lines somewhere Dan, looks like you and I will get to be directly resposible for stocking walleye somewhere this year, dispite all the issues on the back burner :D:D

Archived