caribean fishing in punta cana

Guest roho

i am off to the dominican republic the first week in feb and i intend to slip my pack rod into my suitcase to fish along the shore etc while i am there,anybody on this board ever fished the area while on vacation there,any tips appreciated i have never seen salt water let alone fished it :lol:

Hey Roho,

Last year in january i went on vacation to Cozumel Mexico (its a very small island close to Cancun). Anyway i went flats fishing when i was there, it was quite the experience. if you dont know what flats fishing is its a huge shallow bog tpye area usually found on the "points" of islands, the water is about 1-2 feet deep and our main target was Bonefish and small barracuda, it was great!, bonefish are a riot, extremely fast swimmers (20mph+) pure muscle, the barracuda were also alot of fun to catch. i never went deep sea fishing tho i heard it was alot of fun too, maybe next time. but if you have the chance to go flats fishing or deep sea fishing i suggest you go its great fun even though its quite expensive.

brad :D

Guest bigfishbass

brad i like the smiley on the bottom of your posts... I was in cozumel a few years back... what a nice place... didn't do any fishing...shouuld of though...now i'm kicking myself.. LOL we stayed at the reef club cozumel...the snorkling out there is amazing.

Hey Bigfishbass!

yeah cozumel was nice eh? the snorkeling was amazing to and i loved going on the dives, i stayed right beside the Reef Club! at the Occidental Allegro, too bad you didnt take advantage of the fish there :D

Guest Bait Tester

Never fished the Dominican, but had some great battles with barracuda in the British Virgin Islands. More to the point, the Punta Cana area has been in the news lately about having problems with malaria carrying mosquitos. Safe bet is to talk to your family doc about what meds to take with you. Especially if your going off any of the local hotel properties. Good luck fishing!

Archived