Hamilton Carp

Hellfish

Guest Rockfish

Thanks for the link, since I don't get the Hamilton Spec. alot. I wondered what they do with the Carp they catch in the barrier trap under the York St. bridge, maybe the same thing, dam invaders ! :Gonefishing:

They've had a Carp barrier there for about 10 yrs now and sounds like it's a slow process to get most of them out with 2 million eggs per big Carp a year. :lol:

Precious little results for the millions spent on that Carp barrier. After 10 years, Cootes Paradise still looks like a murky mud hole with no weed growth. The diverse wetland that we were told it was going to become after the carp were erradicated hasn't happened.

It's important to remember, the scientific community was split over the impact ridding Cootes of its carp would have. The carp barrier camp won, but I believe those who warned that the money and effort would be wasted were correct.

Define 'lots' of new vegetation. I'm seeing the same chocolate brown water void of plants throughout Cootes that I saw before the barrier. Guess I expected more after 10 years and 7.5 million dollars( which includes my federal and provincial tax dollars ).

i remember years ago when all u caught in cootes was course fish the suckers, catfish and carp was all u would get and now they put 75 rainbows over the barrier since march. alot of other fish use it as well now and are pushed out by the carp. i think it's money well spent and if it takes 20-30 yrs to see even better results then so be it. rome wasn't built in a day and expect to them to take a little longer to rid or stop the spread of 1000's of carp then take there time and do it right then a fly by night job and have it all for nothing.the rbg does a good job at managing their own stuff.

Yes, but Cootes always had a tiny run of Rainbows as well as other game fish transiting in and out of the little bay before the carp barrier. So what's changed? Not much.

Hey, I'm all for habitat improvement. It's a question of how many millions do we spend for the return of a few fish and a habitat that hasn't changed much at all.

If the RBG was just using their own money, I'd say go for it. Build your carp barrier and have a party! But it's my tax money and in my opinion the the carp barrier is not enough juice for the squeeze.

Well it's just too bad for the sympathist. I'm sure if a bunch of crack houses started springing up in his neighborhood and started trashing the area transforming it into slumville, he'd support the removal of nasty destructive invasives. I doubt they'll ever restore that area. It's too large of an uphill battle and finding the last mating pair will be impossibly infinite.

I support the cull but yes I agree there should be a limit on spending when it comes to something impossible. The carp barrier stops carp from leaving cootes too doesn't it. I think it's futile to try but harmfull to do nothing. Maybe next time the RBG can spend some of those tax dollars landfilling the evidence so the light hearted don't have to deal with reality.

Dan

Guest Rockfish

Blair (fcm) posted last year that a few yrs ago someone vandalized and opened the Carp barrier trap and lots of Carp made it into Cootes. So they figured they lost alot of effort when it was opened. In the Spring is when the most Carp movement is and they move into Cootes from the Hammy Harbour to spawn.

chilli, the carp barrier does not stop the carp from leaving cootes...in the fall, all grates are opened.....because of the shallow water in cootes, the carp leave there for the winter. the open grates also allow migratory trout to enter cootes for spawning....

in the spring and summer, the grates are closed to prevent all carp from re-entering the marsh.

come fall, their opened back up again.....

its a good system that has been showing successful results.....not just in cootes paradise where the carp have been reduced, but in Hamilton Harbour where they have also been reduced....

Maybe next time the RBG can spend some of those tax dollars landfilling the evidence so the light hearted don't have to deal with reality.

Dan

No can do, Chilli. The carp are considered hazardous waste and therefore you're not allowed to just bury them (but the government says they are okay to eat ?!?) The RBG (who, by the way, hates everything and everyone who is not a plant or professes to love plants more than life itself) were just hoping some critters would eat the evidence before anyone saw it but one has to wonder why they didn't drag them to a more secluded spot before beaching them. Cement shoes in the Harbour is a tried and true method too.

BTW, who's bright idea was it to change the forum format and force me to remember my password before I could log back on? That was almost painful, trying to remember it.

Archived