Upper Niagara Musky

Mark Counsell

40b2eb5b-eaee-41dd-9f4d-161c23387f5c.jpg

Well they've finally arrived and I'm getting around to post a photo. This giant came 2 weeks ago on a very wet Saturday morning. Boated 2 others 42 and 43" but this girl was a whopping 51" x 25 1/2". Saw a total of 13 follows that day. The river is finally returning to glory days. You can probably tell what she hit, still hanging from her mouth. She was released to fight another day. Very clean and healthy lady.

Wanting to try my luck for musky on the upper. New to trying musky their, done lots of bass fishing, Question is, does the Canadian side produce lots of musky or should I get my American license to fish their side. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Kids are itching to do some fall casting. Thanks!!!!

No need to get a US license for skies, but it does offer up a huge amount of river to explore. I always have mine because I catch fish over there and because I enjoy the structure and surroundings. Certain areas get pounded for skies, but the river is huge and I like exploring.

I was actually out Monday afternoon shore casting for muskies off a little pier just off Riverside Park (NY side). Lots of reports of big muskies attacking people's yellow perch as they reeled them in, so I gave it a go. Used a bit light of tackle for muskies (at least I think it is), using an Abu Garcia Black Max baitcast combo, 7' MH rod, 40lb Spiderwire Braid, and 30lb Sufix fluorocarbon for a leader. A little light, but I've caught muskies and pike on that setup before. Went with a spinnerbait to seek them out, and a jointed Rapala in Yellow Perch color to keep the bite going. My view:

0A7F96BD-4CAE-4660-89F4-5CC1734E9028-985

Was only there for about 20 minutes when I got a HARD hit on the spinnerbait. Fought him for a few minutes, but then he suddenly jerked his head and broke my line. Was a little confused as to what happened, because it was the braid that had broken. I figure the line must of gotten around those teeth, and when he made that last run, it severed the line. Only hit I got for the day. Oh well, it happens, but at least I know they are there!

oh i read that just didnt clue in.... gotta love those brain farts.. nice when ur musky fishing try using either a metal leader or heavier then 30 pound leader their teeth are extremly sharp and with cut threw it like butter.... you can get em on it but it would save your lures i love using the light gear for em but thats just my thoughts good luck today hopefully you get one or more

Oh yes, I know jackz905. I usually go with a wire leader or if the water is super-clear like it has been, I'll go with 40-65lb fluoro leader. Was just out of both LOL. But the surprising thing was that it broke from the braid, not the leader. 40lb braid is usually more than enough to handle big muskies, that's why I figure either a tooth frayed it or maybe I had a weak spot that I didn't notice. Oh well, as said will probably try again after work today ;)

Ok, this sounds different but found instead of figure 8's try circles instead, if this doesn't work an un-weighted tube will get strikes, drop it in and just let it fall slowly. Sometimes these fish will hang around or even under the boat for minutes at a time.

I'm not a musky hunter yet, but instead of a figure 8 to draw a strike, is there a possibility to create close to boat competition for a strike?

Is there a way if fishing with a partner, when retrieving a bait for a strike, have the 2ndary angler throw in a larger lure to mimic predatory competition, therefore forcing a hit?

Just an idea.

in the summer this yr i lost 2 lures to the same pike and i had metal leader on both times i watch him eat my live target crawfish so i threw a j9 out i bought that day and he came back with my crawfish hanging out his mouth and took my j9..... it sucked

in the summer this yr i lost 2 lures to the same pike and i had metal leader on both times i watch him eat my live target crawfish so i threw a j9 out i bought that day and he came back with my crawfish hanging out his mouth and took my j9..... it sucked

haha, yeah you were pissed,but that was pretty funny though

a musky took my live target crappie...

Archived