Ringneck Pheasants

Dan Andrews

We release a bunch every year for the Fort Erie Conservation Club as put and take birds, we are encourage to release them in hunting areas.

no, no hunting liscence, have tagged along as a fishermen on many moose hunting adventures ect in the past, going to change that for next season, I was going to do it this one, but got too busy for work at the time I could have done the courses, I do however know lots about hunting and animal behavior ect..as well as using various firearms,also a pretty crack shot with a bow and crossbow as well..when I get back from my camp in a couple days I will PM you some good info regarding some pheasant ops..I studied up quite a bit on some stuff pertaining to pheasants in our area to try and help out at the FECC, I am one of the trustees that is appointed to help with the pheasant program and habitat restoration along with our walleye rearing program as well. Thanks for the invite, I plan on changing that for next season, I know some good areas to hunt, and know how to field dress game,butcher it, prepare birds ect, and make lots of different stuff out of game as well.

Almost all of the places I hunted pheasants , many years ago , have houses sitting on them now ....including my backyard and front yard area . The other places are posted with signs ,so there's not much left to hunt locally . But I will always have pheasants in the family .....my mothers maiden name was Pheasant ! :) Nothing like a pheasant in the oven ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well after all this pitching our guest speaker never showed up tonight but our very own Bigugli did who informed us that where our guest speaker lives (Aurora) it was snowing. Hopefully the new guys that showed up didn't just come for that but what else was there? :blahblah1:

Anyway it was great hanging out after with the boys for a couple of beers (thanks Jack for sharing your 50/50 winnings) and B.sing through some fishing stories (of coarse everything Rob D told us was true :blahblah1: ). Sasquatchslipper is officially a new member and it looks (I hope) NFN will take over Fort Erie too (I only wish).

I left a voice mail for our speaker and I hope he's not driving around Niagara lost right now because of me (expert) directions. If anyone needs directions to this club visit: http://home.cogeco.ca/~fecc/directions.html

Got some good ideas going for the SCGF and we'll have to see if we can get JWL mixed up in that. Maybe we can both just swing over there and raise some trouble :P Naw I love my walleye pond.

Dan

My apologies for anyone who attended this meeting specifically for the guest speaker. Apparently Ian Magee, was coming from Aurora where they were experiencing their first snow storm of the year. This is nearly a 2 hour drive for a half hour chat so at 5:30 he sent me this:

IAN MAGEE wrote:

> Dan,

>

> I can't make it down tonight, weather and to much of a rush.

> Pls call to set another date and time.

>

> I tried leaving you a phone message, but your cell does not record calls.

> Regards,

>

> Ian

So if anyone is interested in trying again next year let me know and I will notify you by email.

Next guest speaker is supposed to be:

Catherine Habermebl, BA

Associate Director, Collection & Diversion Operations

Niagara Region, Waste Management Services

speaking on: money making recycling programs YEAH!! :lol:

Was nice to have a half dozen of us fishers to BS over beers after the meeting.

Again sorry for the lack of a speaker.

• 2 weeks later...

Niagara on the lake and west st.cath used to be great for rabbits and pheasants...lots of land to hunt...now its retarted you have to start heading to Port Colbourne area wainfleet,dunnville etc...just isnot the kind of bush around here that there used to be...sad to say :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well after trying relentlessly to confirm our next guest speaker from the Region, we decided that talk about waste management will have to wait for another day. Ian Magee who was also hard to get ahold of did answer his phone and he will get the second chance he requested after missing last month due to a snow storm in Aurora.

This guys got a 3 hour drive to come speak for 1/2 an hour about Pheasants Forever Niagara. Lets give him an audience folks.

Tuesday Dec 4th. The rest is the same as the advertisement up top!

FECC12-04-07.jpg

http://niagarathisweek.com/news/article/134512

Niagara This Week published an excellent article about the Thorold Conservation Club getting Children involved with their pheasant release program. Children were passed the birds to release which they did at the Mel Swart Lake Gibson Conservation Park.

Please read this feel good story at the link provided.

Here's what the anti's had to say about that.....

http://niagarathisweek.com/news/article/137901

Hunting isn't conservation

Published on Nov 23, 2007

Daniel K. Wilson, an advocate of an apparent animal rights awareness group came down hard on the release. Wilson distorted the facts as written and tried to turn this feel good story into something bad.

Of coarse we are not going to let Mr Wilson's attempt at opportunity go unnoticed. We are writing a rebuttal. Be sure to read his letter to see how these interest groups can twist the facts.

Here's my rebuttal but the Niagara This Week informed me they won't print it this week.

Re: Hunting isn’t conservation (Niagara this week Nov 23rd).

Daniel K Wilson uses the term awareness to describe the animal rights group he is representing. The word awareness generally indicates education based on facts yet Wilson omits and distorts the facts to promote his agenda.

Wilson’s statement that “hunting male pheasants in a sanctuary is apparently Ok” is false. Hunters and anglers respect and protect sanctuaries and are often responsible for establishing them in the first place. No pheasants were or will be hunted in the sanctuary.

If Wilson has an issue with hunting male pheasants only, his quarrel is with wildlife biologists who set the regulations, not with the Thorold Conservation Club. Hunters help animal management agencies monitor and enhance animal populations and habitats.

The Fort Erie Conservation Club also releases pheasants but is starting to turn their attention to habitat. Planting pheasant habitat benefits many species including birds , butterflies etc. The FECC will be hosting Ian Magee of “Pheasant Forever Niagara” as a speaker at our Dec 4th general. Ian is a Conservation Officer who has devoted his life to protecting our wildlife. See wildniagara.com for details.

Never accept information about wildlife from a group using the word “rights” to describe themselves. Contact a “wildlife biologist” like the ones at the Federation of Anglers and Hunters, or the Ministry of Natural Resources. They will give you the facts based on science and actual research data from the field.

Dan Andrews

Trustee

Fort Erie Conservation Club

I wonder if Mr.Wilson is one of the thousands who bought a new $500,000 home in the "country" where many animal & bird species once called their home ? It's urban sprawl that permanently erases the habitat of quail , pheasants , ducks , partrige, rabbits , deer .......etc.etc.! But we have to keep expanding.. ..........Some day we won't need to be discussing habitat , there will be too much ashphalt !

Guest canadadude

The funny thing is it's the hunting groups who lobby for habitat rehabilitation, it's the hunting clubs who try to improve habitat and introduce speceis back to there enviroment!!!!! It's hunters who want the birds and manage the game; it's a crying shame the tree huggers and politicians don't understand that hunters do more for the enviroment and protect the resource more then any other group in the population!!!! Why don't these idiots understand that hunters are by far the most ecological protectors of habitat in the population!!!!! Hunters may harvest there share of game but by know means do they want to ruin the populations in fact it is the exact opposite they work to ensure future populations of game for every individual to enjoy!!! In my books then hunters of our province are the true care takers of the enviroment, and not the so called tree huggers

Well we're going to try again as the Region wouldn't return our calls. If Ian Magee doesn't get snowed out then he'll return on Tuesday night. There is an interesting development though. There might be an interest at the MNR to switch to another strain. If you know what that means for the area, feel free to PM me for details or show up for the meeting.

obj26geo9pg1p33.jpg

Here's my reply to Mr Wilson in Niagara This Week

Community benefits from efforts

Letters

Dec 07, 2007

I am most dismayed by the opinion given by Daniel Wilson in opposition to the placement of released pheasants in Thorold. His condemnation of the efforts and any consequent hunt that may result is based upon fancy rather than fact.

Hunting, fishing and conservation clubs are the only groups engaged in pro-active efforts such as wildlife re-introduction or habitat restoration.

Hunters and anglers are out in the field cleaning up the messes, restoring streams, planting thousands of trees and re-introducing wildlife, and yes, we like to reap the rewards from our efforts from time to time. However, the community, at large, also benefits.

R.B. Downs

Beamsville

Archived