NFN 2008/09 Pike Off

Guest Rockfish

What about making the pike off a total of three fish instead of just one. That way guys would keep submitting to increase their overall length. Similar to culling fish in bass tournament. If you put up three to get into the contest and then caught one bigger than your previous small one you would now have posted 4 pics. The leader board would constantly be updated with new and bigger fish and you may end up posting pics of 10 fish to make up your best three. This way if there is a monster wieghed in early there will still be more entries because you need 3 fish to win.(i think the early monster contributed to less pics last year, why post when your already beaten?) Just a thought........

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about making the pike off a total of three fish instead of just one. That way guys would keep submitting to increase their overall length. Similar to culling fish in bass tournament. If you put up three to get into the contest and then caught one bigger than your previous small one you would now have posted 4 pics. The leader board would constantly be updated with new and bigger fish and you may end up posting pics of 10 fish to make up your best three. This way if there is a monster wieghed in early there will still be more entries because you need 3 fish to win.(i think the early monster contributed to less pics last year, why post when your already beaten?) Just a thought........

Tom's idea sounds like it would get people entering fish.

Tom's idea sounds like it would get people entering fish.

You work the fishing league in the same way. You have categories/species,and best fish each category and points awarded on team placing in each category. i.e.

Species // Best total length3 fish // Place // Points

L.Bass 40" 3rd 3 out of however many teams (5, !st would )

get 5 points)

This way no one angler or specie of fish can dominate the board. Total point score determines winning team. It takes some organizing and legwork, thats all.

Each tean member would have to post their qualifying fish against a ruler/tape for each entry. It's the same as sending entries to Canadian Sportsfishing or the Molson's Big Fish contests years back.

To sweeten the deal, Each player chips $5 in the pot to be collected by the winning team

To further level the field, teams are formed by a draft lottery. Group A- Big water anglers

B- Small water boaters

C- Shore anglers

Lottery to be held at the swill.

I like the pike off and caught lots of small ones last year but nothing close to Dave's big one.

I think if we start it in May there won't be a big one until fall and more people will enter there catch in case there are no big one caught in fall or winter.

Keeping the pike off going till march 15th 2009 is a good way of having lots more entries because lots were caught in January and some throught the ice from members.

The biggest one i caught last year was in November but it was only 28" and lost netting it so i didn't get a picture.

If there are a lot of entries there is a chance of a tie, maybe have the contest if there is a tie then you add all your entries lenghts to decide a winner, then maybe people would also enter smaller ones (or have a seperate category for total lenght of pikes for the year) then we would see how many people actually fish for pike.

Maybe start a new thread with a few polls to find out who actually fished the last 2 years, who would be interested to fish the pike off this year, this way you would get an ideal if 5 or 50 people fish the pike-off.

I liked the pike off, and I liked the one day fish offs. League fishing appeals to me as well. Its all fishing. Its all good.

In deference to the Evil Monkey, Rick wants to see a format that will a) increase readership and B) increase participation. Put simply he's looking for the best bang for the site. At present, there might be 50 truly active participants on the board. How do we become 100, 200....?

Guest Rockfish
If you have the Pike-Off for the season, why not submit the pics by PM to the organizer and have them public at the end of the season...No one knows the biggest fish more posts/pics...When you're fishing a tournament, you don't know what the other competitors have caught until the weigh-in...If you want to recognize the leader, have a public post that says who the current leader is without a pic or measurement

This is an idea that came up last year, to increase the amount of entries although there wouldn't be any pics to view through the season to see the participation and what's out there. At the end of the contest there will be a pile of pics to judge. :D

Good idea Tom, keep posting pics and the best of 3 fish to win for overall length will definately increase the amount the entries. Sounds like a good idea as long as someone doesn't keep posting the same fish. Well, as said in the original rules, Honesty is the besy policy and also in keeping it as local as possible instead of taking a fly-in trip to Pike infested Kesagami Lake up North. B):)

I really like Tom's idea...the 3 fish will do what we want out of this and that's get more people posting their catches and more people involved, and the tournament style is quite appealing because your constantly looking to up your smallest. Three 28 inchers will beat a 36 hog with two 23's etc. MAYBE have a small prize for largest pike just to acknowledge the catch, or just bragging rights.

To keep it organized in a single thread, when you post your first pike, every pike that you add to it, keep it in your same POST by using the quick edit option. Thus each poster will have it all in one nice section and easy to look through, instead of spread out between 5 pages of posts. And maybe as the first line of your post you can put your name and your current total in inches (or cm, whatever we use) which will always be updated. Lastly, not sure if this is possible...I know posts go down in chronological order, but if admin can manipulate it so that the leader is the first post, next is second post etc. and when spots change manipulate the order accordingly??

Guest Rockfish

Ok, through some input from members here is a new list of rules for this year's Pike Off 2008/09, just have to confirm things with Rick and it's a go !!!

1. A best of 3 Pike lengths total will determine the winner with " total overall length " for each of the 3 categories. Post pictures in the Official thread of your entries which will be of Pictures Only, please no commenting to make it easier for judging. Post your entries and as you catch longer Pike delete the shorter lengths and take your " best 3 " for total overall length.

2. Fish must be a Northern Pike (not a gar or alike).

3. Fish must be caught in the Niagara Region, to stay in tune with the NFN theme, plus one hours drive anywhere outside the region. This covers Hamilton down to Dunnville, Toronto Islands, plus area's on the American side. Honesty, is the best policy on this one, just try to keep it as local as possible. Map of Niagara Region HERE.

4. Photo of fish must have an NFN 2008/09 logo in the picture, not an added logo afterwards.

5. A measuring device such as a wide tape measure or yard stick must be in the photo to accurately judge "overall length" of each fish. The measuring device must clearly indicate size, so it helps with a tape measure that gives large markings for every 12".

6. Contest runs from May 10/2008 - March 31/2009.

7. Special prize for longest Pike (big fish) for the contest in any of the categories.

8. Two or three anonymous judges have/will be appointed to resolve any issues that may

arise in the judgement of fish lengths, judges decisions are final.

9. By popular demand, there will be 3 categories in this contest of the " Best 3 Pike ", one will be caught from a Boat (non shoreline angling methods, float tubes, inflatable boats, etc), the second will be caught from Shore and third will be through the Ice. There will be a Sub Forum at the top of this forum with the 3 categories to post entries beginning on May 10/08. Each category will be separate entries, keeping it fair for those that only fish from shore or from a boat, canoe ect.

10. All MNR rules and regulations apply. Exception>> NO spear fishing allowed, since it's now illegal as of this year anyway.

11. Members who enter pike in contest must have at least 50 posts overall in these forums to enter fish.

12. NO TNT.

What's on the line.

1. Bragging right's and the title of NFN Pike GoooRoooo for one year !

2. Prize packages for each category for 3 winners will be made up through the contest and any donations can be made throughout the year.

:wub:

9. By popular demand, there will be 3 categories in this contest of the " Best 3 Pike ", one will be caught from a boat (non shoreline angling methods, float tubes, inflatable boats, etc), the second will be caught from shore and third will be through the ice. Please indicate in the " Official pinned thread " if your Pike is Boat Entry, Shore Entry or Ice Fishing Entry. Each category will be separate entries, keeping it fair for those that only fish from shore or from a boat, canoe ect.

Dave, what if we had 3 official threads...one for each category? Might be easier to keep track of

Guest Rockfish
Dave, what if we had 3 official threads...one for each category? Might be easier to keep track of

No probs, just have to talk to Rick still about confirming things.

Dave is this saying that 3 pike have to be caught on 3 different methods of fishing...or just 3 pike no matter what.....or best3 from shore,best 3 from boat,or best 3 from ice kinda deal??

Guest Rockfish
Dave is this saying that 3 pike have to be caught on 3 different methods of fishing...or just 3 pike no matter what ..... best3 from shore,best 3 from boat,or best 3 from ice or kinda deal??

Yep, each category will be separate, so best 3 in each one, like how we kept 2 categories separate last year, since some guys never get out in a boat or icefish.

From what I understand you can have 9 best fish, 3 from your boat, 3 from shore, and 3 through the ice...You have to have 3 fish using one method to qualify to win that method...That's how I read it and that's what makes sense to me

Guest Rockfish
From what I understand you can have 9 best fish, 3 from your boat, 3 from shore, and 3 through the ice...You have to have 3 fish using one method to qualify to win that method...That's how I read it and that's what makes sense to me

You got it Mike ! Should be lots of entries this year. :wub:

I am ready to rock this pike contest I will have my camera, NFF logo, and tape on me at all times this year cause I always catch a nice pike when I least expect it . I think lack of entry in the past has a lot to do with the angler being prepared you gotta have that camera and tape boys lets get rockin this year . just a fews thoughts, does 50 posts leave out new members??? I love the idea of a contest for each speices that would get a lot more intrest. and i also can donate some prizes to the pot if someone could let me know where to drop them off.?

The 50 posts does unfortunately at first leave out newbies...however I think it's in place to avoid someone who doesn't participate in the board posting a winning fish, or just registering on the board because they caught a fish that can win.

You'll get 50 posts in no time...I think you can post your fish that was caught before reaching 50 posts, but only posting it after you've reached 50 posts.

Ok, after talking it over with Rockfish, it was agreed that Toms idea of best 3 fish was worth trying for this years pike-off, so unless there's any problems that anyone can see with the format then I say lets give it a go.

Sounds good :wub:

So all we need is a NFN logo beside the fish?

We should see about getting a few "NFN Pike Off" rulers printed up and have everyone that enters donate to the cost if it isn't to much, that way everyone has the same measuring device. I'm getting perch derby and walleye derby tickets printed up so I can check the cost.

Guest Rockfish

Thanks for allowing us to run this again Rick. :wub: The ruler is great idea Denis, just make sure it's a fold up one that goes to 4 feet. :D

I have a new logo made up if needed was thinking to keep things fair before Pike season opens inland on May 10'th, we would provide it on May 1. This would give everyone some notice or make arrangements to get one printed off like me that doesn't have a working printer. :)

Guest Rockfish
Might need to make mine 5 feet this year :)

Good one Peter, I know u been itchin' for some Pike action since you've been back from Aussie.

Archived