NFN 2008/09 Pike Off

Guest Rockfish

i assume that you must have 50 post is not going to change. :

You don't need to have 50 post before the pike-off starts, just before entering your fish.

The pike-off is still weeks away lots of time, if you put a little effort into it you can post simple replies and get 50 post in no time.

The ideal of this derby and all other contest going on at this forum is to get people involved and post some kind of useful info when they have it to this board.

You have been a member almost 3 years and have only 18 post, I'm sure you have your reasons (busy, don't fish often, you have a life, whatever) but every replie counts as a post even the smallest one like, thanks for the info, I don't like trout fishing, I won't be attending the swill, just stick to simple replies or questions over the next few weeks and you will have your 50 post.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave......I've seen pics where the tape is about a 1/4" or so off either way fron the pikes nose . If any straight edge is handy ,e.g. a fishing box , tray box, piece of wood fishing pole etc. It makes it easy to measure by putting the fish & tape touching the same staight edge ,then just checking where the tail ends at the tape .......good thinkin or what ? :unsure:

Guest Rockfish
Dave......I've seen pics where the tape is about a 1/4" or so off either way fron the pikes nose . If any straight edge is handy ,e.g. a fishing box , tray box, piece of wood fishing pole etc. It makes it easy to measure by putting the fish & tape touching the same staight edge ,then just checking where the tail ends at the tape .......good thinkin or what ? :unsure:

Good idea Bill any straight edge will work.

:unsure:

Guest Rockfish

The question has come up the last couple years of where the limits are to the Pike off which is 1 hours drive from the Niagara region. Here's the map of the Niagara region and some places where roughly the limits would be since this is the Niagara Pike Off. :unsure:

Niagararegion.jpg

Outside the region rough limits would be the Toronto Islands to the North east, then the towns of Georgetown, Guelph, Cambridge, Cathcart (outside Brantford), Delhi and Turkey Point on Lake Erie. Lake Ontario and Lake Erie are also of course included within these limits.

A link to the Map of the Niagara Region will be in the rules post #37.

:unsure:

ok so its free to enter, but donations are welcome? sorry i tried reading thru all the posts but damn there are alot.

just curious about if there is a charge? id think nothin of paying 10 bucks to enter a 10 month derby. and plus thats all money that can be put towards prizes or a cash prize.

also anyone know what was happening with that pike ruler thread?

any info would be appreciated, i know my boss here at work is interested in joining the pike off too...

• 2 weeks later...

frozen pike from last spring don't count Dave B):P:lol:B)

any word if Denis has the measuring sticks done up yet???

anyone going to try out one of those 3 footer Rapalas they where selling at Walmart before Christmas????? I am gonna bring my giant fat-rap out for this for sure ;)

frozen pike from last spring don't count Dave :blink::P:lol:B)

any word if Denis has the measuring sticks done up yet???

anyone going to try out one of those 3 footer Rapalas they where selling at Walmart before Christmas????? I am gonna bring my giant fat-rap out for this for sure :lol:

Last time I talked to him they weren't done yet and he wasn't sure what exactly everyone wanted put on them. :dunno:

So you need 50 posts...and Rockfish says even small one liners count So I guess i can get this in. Not really helpful posts but Meh.

Pike are my favourite fish and I'm only at 14 posts now. I better start getting a little more fishing knowledge under my belt so that I might actually have something to share on the site. I'd hate to get a big one before I hit 50.

Guest Rockfish

Maybe we can jump start everyone that needs 50 posts by asking what their favourite Pike baits are.

In the Spring I like using the suspending crankbaits, Husky Jerks and X-raps, stop and go retrieve and later as the water warms up I'll use spoons and inline spinners. When the weeds get thick I'll try out spinnerbaits and some plastics on jigheads.

I agree with you Rockfish, suspending crankbaits in the Spring is usually reliable. My favorite lure for pike, however, is a daredevel spoon. Red/White and five of diamonds. They're simple to use and varying the retrieval speed allows you to fish various depths. I'll throw those spoons any chance I get.

-Drew

Well between Jack's 3 fter Super Fat Raps and Bruce's rodents whereever he can find them, our lures are a bit cheaper and legal. :lol::dunno:

You gotta quit using those ducks for bait Rockfish !!!! :blink: ............................................................. B)

Pikeduck1.jpg

icon4.gif

last year about this time, I saw more William's Spoons catch fish than anything, specially if there was a mudline to fish.

Well between Jack's 3 fter Super Fat Raps and Bruce's rodents whereever he can find them, our lures are a bit cheaper and legal. :P:lol:

No fun at all. Of course there is always T.N.T. :lol:

looks like i need to hang out at the bait shop more, cuz a few of those baits you listed i have no clue what they are haha. i know crankbaits... im a fan of certain colored rapala's and frenzy lures myself in spring and summer.

but husky jerks, x-raps, inline spinners... no idea what those are

Guest Rockfish
You gotta quit using those ducks for bait Rockfish !!!! :lol: ............................................................. :lol:

Not my Pike or my Duck, Bill !!! :lol:

last year about this time, I saw more William's Spoons catch fish than anything, specially if there was a mudline to fish.

I'll switch between the William's Wabler spoons and the suspending crankbaits in the Spring that have a rattle in them to attract fish especially in murky water. I didn't mention the William's cuz it's Scottydog's fav. secret Pike lure, just won't say what colour tape he likes to use on them. :P

What about the famous 6" white twister Jack ? Actually plastics will work all year round on a slow retrieve and when Pike are in the mood.

looks like i need to hang out at the bait shop more, cuz a few of those baits you listed i have no clue what they are haha. i know crankbaits... im a fan of certain colored rapala's and frenzy lures myself in spring and summer.

but husky jerks, x-raps, inline spinners... no idea what those are

Just look in the Rapala sections and you'll find the Huskys and X-raps, depending what size u use they will dive to about 3 or 4 ft and will suspend at that depth when u retrieve. A few of mine tend to sink now though, with lots of toothy marks in them. :blush:

Inline spinners are like the Mepps Aglia and Blue Fox Vibrax, other than the larger skirted spinnerbaits like the Bushwacker.

Archived