Fishing Course Survey

Fishing Course Survey  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support a required course before obtaining a fishing licence?

• Yes
    • No

More and more people have been suggesting that anglers should have to pass a course before being able to buy their fishing licence. This could be because more people are using the internet to post fishing reports and not knowingly sharing their mistakes or it could be that more people are just being careless. I'm sure we've all made a mistake and found ourselves out of compliance.

So vote and tell us why you would or wouldn't support a fishing course much like the hunting coarse and if "yes" tell us what you think the coarse should include.

I say Yes :blink: . The reason is too many newcomers use ignorance as an excuse and others say the regs are just too confusing. The coarse could contain material from different orgs such as Muskies Canada, and the safe boating course and include fish identification tools like the invasive species program. It should have the price of the 1 year conservation licence included and should be free for kids under 17 years old.

You'd learn important knots as well as sporting ethics, tresspass laws and a portion of the funds could go directly back into local angling innitiatives such as the walleye stocking program and anglers diaries. Grandfather anyone in that has maintained a fishing licence for 5 consecutive years.

Guest canada

I vote yes, Hopfully the importance of fishing regulations and ethics would be brought to the for front for many new anglers. As more people are starting to enjoy the sport it seems attention to the regulations seems to be getting more overlooked.

I also vote yes & agree with Tom.....I have seen older people fishing who think a walleye is a pickeral ! :o;) ....(kidding there) ......But there are many fishers out there who cannot ID many fish . A booklet should include fish ID , fish quotas , rules , like using only one rod in most places , invasives , & fishing etiquette & handling fish for pictures & release etc. I wouldn't get into too much detail like slot sizes & limits in all areas of the province .....let the angler check into those areas before fishing there. Just do the basic info., so you can't play dumb . If you pass the test , you get a card saying you know the basics.......and I don't think we need to have this test printed in any more languages as a drivers test ........

I vote yes for sure.....should be a species identification,baitfish identification, regs pertaining to different areas...since it's mandatory within the next year, include your PCO card as well. There should also be a sub section with exceptions to the regs as well...seems this year there is alot of confusion with some of the new regs,new limits,new slots in different areas,closed seasons, fish sanctuaries ect. That way, ignorance can no longer be an excuse..then because of this testing any infractions should be heavily fined cuz then there should be no excuses at all.

perhaps it should even be manditory to show a fishing liscence when purchasing any fishing tackle,gear,bait ect as well

In theory it sounds great. I'm afraid that in practice it would be another joke. The boater exam has been a joke from the start. From the membership of this forum I have repeatedly been told how a person went to a friend and just paid the fee. No test. No class. You would almost need a different test zone by zone. Then you would need to run a special ed. class for all the functional illiterates out there who don't know how to read let alone open a book, and 18 different courses taught in a language of preference so we don't offend the ethnic voter, and a separate set of rules and classes to accomodate the native community Despite that you would need a legal system that actually hands down the kind of punishment that acts as a deterrent.

In this province we will only see half-arsed measures.

I have to say no on this one.I look at fishing as a peaceful relaxing way to get out & enjoy the outdoors.Being asked to do a course to renew my license ,to me sounds a little far fetched.Fishing shuoldn't be how much you can study a book.What will be next night school.These problems have been going on for countless years.I honestly beleive the interent has brought it to the point it is now.If you think people didn,t understand regs 20yrs ago,shake your head.I,m 40 & remember 20 yrs. ago this stuff happening,I just didn,t have the interent to read about it after a days fishing.Now would everybody have to take an course..Also the ones 65 & over(no offence to anybody,my father is in this cat.)Are they exempt from the course.I know the CO's are kinda tight now but I beleive they are the the way to the solution.One example is fall fishing the Whirlpool.People snag salmon down there to get the eggs late at night.Been there seen it.Three weekends in a row the CO's came down checking licenses.The 4th weekend was like a ghost town.Only ethical fisherman were there.Mind you you this was 10 yrs. ago,but there presence did make an impact,maybe a good example ,maybe not.Also what about the father who gets his licence because his young kids want to fishing.I could only imajine their reactions when they are told no til you do a course.I can definitely see the overall intention but I don't think its fair all the way around.Good topic ,got my attention.Take care.

I have to say no on this one.I look at fishing as a peaceful relaxing way to get out & enjoy the outdoors.Being asked to do a course to renew my license ,to me sounds a little far fetched.Fishing shuoldn't be how much you can study a book.

Well said ham&eggs...btw i hate studying :dunno:

"Also what about the father who gets his licence because his young kids want to fishing.I could only imajine their reactions when they are told no til you do a course.I can definitely see the overall intention but I don't think its fair all the way around"

and thats why i voted no also....cmon guys i'm a carpenter and it sounds like you want me to take a course/get licenced to use my hammer?

lol

Ham & Eggs, if these problems have gone on for years do you not think that if they were more stringent with issuing licenses in the past and educating people that the problem might have lessoned over the years?

The father taking his kids fishing does not require a license as long as he isn't fishing. obviously kids under 16 wouldn't be required to do an exam but I think it's a good idea for everyone else. Similar to the boaters card. Give people a few years to take the test and the card isn't required to renew your license until say 2012. I don't think you can test specific seasons in different regions but making people aware that there are different season could be enough to make people seek the regs before heading out. They make you take a gun test so why not a fishing test. I don't think its that far fetched. Things like first aid certificates expire and you require a refresher even though you may know and practice everything there is to know about first aid but if you chose to carry that certification you have to do a refresher. Yes fishing is a past time but it is also a regulated past time and if the regs aren't being followed then something should be done.

CO's are definitely needed to police the fisheries but if people followed the regs you wouldn't need as many.

Ham & Eggs, if these problems have gone on for years do you not think that if they were more stringent with issuing licenses in the past and educating people that the problem might have lessoned over the years?

The father taking his kids fishing does not require a license as long as he isn't fishing. obviously kids under 16 wouldn't be required to do an exam but I think it's a good idea for everyone else. Similar to the boaters card. Give people a few years to take the test and the card isn't required to renew your license until say 2012. I don't think you can test specific seasons in different regions but making people aware that there are different season could be enough to make people seek the regs before heading out. They make you take a gun test so why not a fishing test. I don't think its that far fetched. Things like first aid certificates expire and you require a refresher even though you may know and practice everything there is to know about first aid but if you chose to carry that certification you have to do a refresher. Yes fishing is a past time but it is also a regulated past time and if the regs aren't being followed then something should be done.

CO's are definitely needed to police the fisheries but if people followed the regs you wouldn't need as many.

Tom ,to answer your first question,Years ago these concerns weren,t heard or seen over a public place,like the interent.Now the interent takes one simple incident & it gets attacked by everybody.Years ago nobody would have known what Joe Blow did while fishing,good or bad.I do beleive the CO's did their job years ago ,but now its at a point where it can be read daily & if nothing gets done the CO's are under attack,as years ago it went unheard .

I don't think your gun feedback or first aid feedback really apply pertaining to fishing.Guns obviously can kill & firsrt aid can prevent death,both need constant courses.Good point about the father not having to fish(never thought of that)but I always fish when I take my son out.Don't get me wrong I think its a good idea but not pratical without alot of research right now.Take care

Guns obviously can kill & firsrt aid can prevent death,both need constant courses.
And over fishing can kill a fishery and fishing within guidelines can prevent the death of a fishery. So why not make users more educated about the sport they are involved in. I don't think this is something that can be implemented over night but even having people answer a few 'did you know' True/False questions when getting their license could help.

To drive a boat, or car you need to know the rules, to own a gun you need to know the rules(and then some) to play other sports you need to know the rules, unfortunatley we don't have enough referees in fishing to watch over everyone so we need to educate in some way.

Taking a fishing course has to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of :wub: what's next, how to water your lawn and garden, its freakin fishing!!!Meant to get outside and enjoy the outdoors with your family. Maybe if the regs came with your license and had colour co-ordinated zones so people including myself could actually see where a boundry is located etc, etc... This new regs was supposed to be streamlined, NOT! I could/can see why a new Canadian that is not too good with the English language could make mistakes using this regs if he/she was ever handed one when they got their license. :ph34r:

Do you really want to put more money into some retarded project that the gov is gonna screw up anyways? :D Give me a break. Fine the people that don't follow the guidelines, but for pete's sake, at least give them a regulation book that has some sort of systematic way for them to understand with colour pics of the fish that have seasons and slots etc... The problem is that there are way too many lakes that have different slots/ seasons and some of these lakes lie very close to each other so a mistake is inevitable, called human err, happens all the time and that is why co's are there, and it is in their discretion as to whether someone is fishing illegally or ignorantly. Yea I know, ignorance is bliss....

ps. I do think the regs should be in colour, species pictures that have limits/slots/ seasons etc, should be included in the regs in colour, with easy ways to identify pike/muskie for example. Most people fishing over their limit/out of season, know they are doing this, so what would this course offer? As you can tell, I am against anymore legislation crap to do with my favorite sport of fishing, and in no way want to throw more money out the window into something that is pointless, people speed on roads even though they know it is wrong, and the same fisher people are gonna do the same thing they do even though they know it's wrong, what in the world is a fishing course gonna solve :Gonefishing:

Did any of you actually receive a copy of the regs when your licenses was either mailed out to you or after purchasing one, i know i didn't get one, that should be the first step to education, make sure the license buyers recieve a regulation book.

Peace Out!! let's go get some bass!!!!

John

Guest canada
Taking a fishing course has to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of :D what's next, how to water your lawn and garden, its freakin fishing!!!Meant to get outside and enjoy the outdoors with your family. Maybe if the regs came with your license and had colour co-ordinated zones so people including myself could actually see where a boundry is located etc, etc... This new regs was supposed to be streamlined, NOT! I could/can see why a new Canadian that is not too good with the English language could make mistakes using this regs if he/she was ever handed one when they got their license. :wub:

Do you really want to put more money into some retarded project that the gov is gonna screw up anyways? :P Give me a break. Fine the people that don't follow the guidelines, but for pete's sake, at least give them a regulation book that has some sort of systematic way for them to understand with colour pics of the fish that have seasons and slots etc... The problem is that there are way too many lakes that have different slots/ seasons and some of these lakes lie very close to each other so a mistake is inevitable, called human err, happens all the time and that is why co's are there, and it is in their discretion as to whether someone is fishing illegally or ignorantly. Yea I know, ignorance is bliss....

ps. I do think the regs should be in colour, species pictures that have limits/slots/ seasons etc, should be included in the regs in colour, with easy ways to identify pike/muskie for example. Most people fishing over their limit/out of season, know they are doing this, so what would this course offer? As you can tell, I am against anymore legislation crap to do with my favorite sport of fishing, and in no way want to throw more money out the window into something that is pointless, people speed on roads even though they know it is wrong, and the same fisher people are gonna do the same thing they do even though they know it's wrong, what in the world is a fishing course gonna solve :ph34r:

Did any of you actually receive a copy of the regs when your licenses was either mailed out to you or after purchasing one, i know i didn't get one, that should be the first step to education, make sure the license buyers recieve a regulation book.

Peace Out!! let's go get some bass!!!!

John

Dude the zones are colour coordinated pg4 and the colours match page for the zone, I mean how much easier can you make it. Yes I got 2 copies of the current regs when I picked up my license. I'm sorry but the fishery has to be controlled with all that slot/ season stuff and it really isn't that hard to figure out. :Gonefishing:

I never got a copy of the regs, :Gonefishing: went by a CT 3 months ago and they had none, :wub: what, am i supposed to travel to all ends of the continent for this thing. i looked at the one online, it was not colour last time (2 months ago) i looked.

Tom, the boater exam was to at least make people aware of safety issue that can cause bodily harm, they were getting sick of teenage kids going 70 mph in a sea doo ramming into bridges etc... I took that course many moons ago, one question still remains in my memory. " what is most important when leaving the dock with guests onboard?"

Answrs (pick one)

A. make sure you have enough drinks on board

B. make sure you have enough chips for everyone

C. make sure you have enough life jackets that fit all guests on board

Real educational huh? :ph34r: A freakin fish could have guessed that one. :P

I really just can't see how a "fishing course " is going to discourage against the few bad apples out there that don't give a 3333. We have more problems with drivers driving with no licenses, insurance, ui, etc than to design some sort of course to educate fishermen who on the most part, do very good job and like some of you here, police it as well.

It sounds nice but damn, just give everyone that buys a license a regulation book with a note on how to use it and if they screw up, fine them.

John :D

Guest canada
I never got a copy of the regs, :Gonefishing: went by a CT 3 months ago and they had none, :D what, am i supposed to travel to all ends of the continent for this thing. i looked at the one online, it was not colour last time (2 months ago) i looked.

Tom, the boater exam was to at least make people aware of safety issue that can cause bodily harm, they were getting sick of teenage kids going 70 mph in a sea doo ramming into bridges etc... I took that course many moons ago, one question still remains in my memory. " what is most important when leaving the dock with guests onboard?"

Answrs (pick one)

A. make sure you have enough drinks on board

B. make sure you have enough chips for everyone

C. make sure you have enough life jackets that fit all guests on board

Real educational huh? :ph34r: A freakin fish could have guessed that one. :P

I really just can't see how a "fishing course " is going to discourage against the few bad apples out there that don't give a 3333. We have more problems with drivers driving with no licenses, insurance, ui, etc than to design some sort of course to educate fishermen who on the most part, do very good job and like some of you here, police it as well.

It sounds nice but damn, just give everyone that buys a license a regulation book with a note on how to use it and if they screw up, fine them.

John :P

I'll have to agree with you on supplying a copy of the regs with evey licecene issued, either by mail or provided by the issuer. I didn't relise this is a problem and perhaps a sugestion to the MNR is in order to clear up the problem. It really dosn't surprise me this is the MNR we're talking about, it took 3yrs I think to get this publication of the regs.

As far as the boater exam goes I think it was well needed to get some controls on the rules of driving a boat, weather it has made an impact on the boating world, I'm not sure but like you said it has brought some awareness. The answer is B make sure you have enough chips for everyone :wub::D:P

I vote no, but think you should need a FAC to buy a fishing pole lol jk. This would just give the govt. more more money for there summer vacations. I think all these test are a joke except hunters safety which actually has a hands on part to it. The boaters course you can do online with the answers right next to ya in another window. The ppl that poach obviously already know how to fish, because they catch fish they just choose to ignore the rules. If they can't read english, How did they pass there drivers test? I think we just need more Game Wardens or ones that actually care more...

I think all these test are a joke except hunters safety which actually has a hands on part to it.

What other tests besides the boaters test do you think are a joke? The whole point of this discussion was whether you support the idea and why AND... if yes what would you suggest?

My suggestion was a practicle part like the hunter education course. Important things like tieing lead lines properly (not using superline lines with 4#test mains etc) and a free course for kids (optional) so they can tie that husky jerk on and be able to set the drag and not just stick lures to fish's faces all day.

I'm with Johnny on supplying the regulations with an issued licence. Right now the regs are as simple as they can get. They are colour coated, each zone has it's own page with any exceptions on that page and unless you have a laptop to access the regs online, you should keep the paper copy in your tackle box or car when going to a new area anyway. Also if a retailer sells licences or tackle thay should be required to at least carry and offer the regs! Wal-mart doesn't do this :Gonefishing:

There is a rough identification on page 33 by the OFAH (angler awards) but if you want to get anal :ph34r: you can go to a stakeholders meeting before the next regs and ask that they add descriptions including how many rays are on the anal fins of the various different salmonids etc. There should definately be an emphasis on rare species such as the banded sculpin and atlantic salmon.

The whole idea in theory is to do what the sporting clubs no longer do. Educate the general public. We try but aside from the kids derbies, there isn't much attendance at these clubs anymore. Besides it takes many meetings with guest speakers to learn the do's and don'ts and the importance of things like invasive species awareness, VHS, the dangers of transplanting fish etc. If a course was neccessary, it could all be taught in one stop.

I'll take bigugli's and Awol's post as suggestions an online course not be made available. It is sad to hear that someone has made it possible to just pay the fee and get the card. That should be reported. The people who are the main target of the boaters exam will surley use that route.

So Chilli, are you saying that maybe clubs(even get a few different ones together)across the region make a special day, say March in a nice warm room and invite the public for a how to forum? With descriptions of fish, how/when/ etc how to fish a certain species....maybe split rooms up into more fishing for certain species related , ie, a bass table that would explain most techniques, show the difference between the two and explain the seasons and why they are closed at certain times. and a trout one with the same kind of genre. walleye, ... definitely some food for thought :blush:

As for members attending meetings, yea, we get very few.

Damn, i was just at CT and forgot to look for a regs, :o That to me is one of the pitfalls with licenses in Canada, we sell them and than just figure ordinary joe knows there are rules/laws. If the province is going to mandate you buy a license, than they better damn well arm you with the rules.

ps, i like chips too :D

Not a bad idea John. Hey like a muskie oddysey but for all different kinds of fish. How to identify, hold/release, closed seasons, tackle/presentations, conservation, size records, cooking instructions etc.

I'll have to forward that to Bill Whitehead :o . I agree on March instead of after derby opener.

I think the money would be much better spent on increased enforcement and public education. Rado stations for exampe , under the CRTC have to broadcast so many puclic service commercials each week...eg "bass fishing season has started".. The ministry used to distribute species posters. A mandatory fishing course would not put a dent in the few people that are flaunting the laws.

Keep it simple... and fun. I can see the need for FAC and hunting courses and boating courses for saftey issues.

Whirlpool Hunter

Archived