Queenston smelts are still on

Dan Andrews

Hey I went down to Queenston last night to see this fiasco first hand. When I got to the parking lot most people were on the way out. Seems the smelt run is still heavy enough that everyone is getting their fill and they don't need to stay until all hours of the night. I talked to a few people in the parking lot who were all really nice and told me it was safe to hit the launch as there was plenty of room last night. I went down and immediately got a spot on the end of the dock at the ramp.

I saw no garbage in the water. I saw very little on the land although it was dark and the lights were kind of blinding me. There were many bright lights on the US side also. I began tossing my 4 foot minnow mesh with holes on a 6 foot frame :huh: and quickly got one smelt. Half a dozen throws later I still only had one.

Heard someone behind me and turned to receive from friendly advice from some Indian fellows. The told me if I hit the other side of the retaining wall that the smelts were pushing each other out of the water right on shore. I thanked them and told them I was good as long as I managed at least 3 dozen; enough for a meal. "Oh is that all you want" one said with a smile and instructed me over to his truck. He grabbed my "planter bucket :P " and dipped it into his tote full of smelts. What a great bunch of guys :worthy: . They saw I was not equipped and shared the wealth. This seemed to be the way things work down there. Everybody is helping each other out and sharing their harvest.

002.jpg

So my night was done (pre cleaning anyway) so I head back up to the parking lot and chatted with a few guys up there again. Guys were working hard to get their bags of smelts up the hill.

I wish I had brought my coleman stove last night because I know there were allot of people who would have been willing to help me clean a few and cook them too :D .

For anyone who thinks it's bad to over harvest smelt from our fisheries think again!

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/rainbow_smelt.htm

Look at the picture above and imagine what 75,000 eggs a piece can turn into. These fish will then eat laketrout larvae and other game fish before they get a chance to start life as well as eat walleye out of a home. These invasive creatures were swarming out of the water and oozing billions of eggs on our shoreline last night. It was good to see totes upon totes being hauled out of there. If only gobies made themselves that available. Remember when Rob MacIntosh held up a big bag of gobies the kids helped remove from our waters on Kids day a few years back? That was a good thing but it was only a half drop in the bucket compared to the smelt harvest.

Has anyone here ever read the consumption suggestions for rainbow smelt? Eek :o . I guess we are lucky to have these people come from all over the province to help get them out of the water. It took me over an hour to clean all mine and it just didn't seem worth my time because there is less meat there then a good trout. So the smelt harvesters are helping the Lake, disposing of the contamination and I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. It is amazing how nice everyone is when you approach them the right way :P . Thanks guys for saving my night and sharing your food. Hope to see you again next year and I'll bring a better net for sure.

What you experienced, Dan, is something that has long been forgotten by most in our society. The collective harvest. Smelting, net fishing, etc.. is a community event. Many immigrants still understand the concept, as do many who live up north.

I just talked to my local contact who told me it was a mess down there this morning still so the clean up is on for next Sunday 5pm. I will post details on another thread tomorrow. We may have some special guests helping us :worthy:

If it's true that smelts are an invasive fish that is causing damage to the fishery , then by all means bring the commercial boats in and load up the tanks . I wrongly assumed that taking tons of smelt was detrimental to feeding the salmon , and if they are being sold , then it creates a market to get rid of more smelts and puts extra cash into peoples pockets . That is a good thing . There used to be a good run of smelts at Port Dalhousie harbour , usually a little later than the Niagara River run . I took my net there after dark last night & didn't catch one single smelt .....maybe try again in a few days . It was great of those guys to give you some of their catch Chilli , they look like nice smelts ! I have an extra 4' frame that I pulled up from the harbour last fall , you can have it for minnows etc. It looks like there's a nice load of garbage to be collected .....maybe a bucket would be handy for broken glass . Be careful .

I am completly new to the fishing world, so how does this smelting work? How long does it go on for?

I am assuming im a little late but id love to go out next year and try. Looks like some good fun, My son would love getting a bunch of fish.

B.appel13 ....if you have some time , take a drive to Queenston where the jet boats are , at the boat ramp area and watch how they catch them . They use bright lights at the waters edge after dark and use 6 foot nets on a rope to haul the smelts out . I've seen so many smelts in the net , like 500 , that the net breaks . We catch smelts one at a time through the ice :) but can catch about 100 each per hour . I still have another meal in the freezer from ice fishing . :)

hey chilli those are actually atlantic salmon smolts, your info had been given to the mnr again

Well aren't you allowed just one. The others were caught by my 700 friends and they forgot them at my house :)

B.appel13 all you need is a license and a minnow mesh landing net. Don't forget something to put them in. NO LIMIT but read the regs; don't take my word for it.

There are just as many dead smelt on the bottom as on shore. Some of the nets were coming up so full that picking them off the rocks just wasn't all that important. Those pictures don't look any worse than most times of the year ; kinda like the whirlpool in the fall. Looks like thick leather gloves are a must.

hey chilli those are actually atlantic salmon smolts, your info had been given to the mnr again

That's it! Somebody bend Chilli over while I get the big paddle :)

those are rainbow smelt, smolt would have parr marks on them and they wouldn't bee as long and skinny.

the same thing happened when we were down there. we weren't fishing for Smelt and we couldn't get a spot to throw our lines in, so we just watched. the Chinese family next to us offered us some, but I said no cause we didn't have anything to put them in. mext thing you know, she's back with a shopping bag and filled the bag for us. how nice was that? these were also the family that was cleaning up garbage while they fished.

we took the Smelt home and I spent an hour beheading, gutting and cleaning them, then I soaked them in milk overnight, to get any fishy flavour out that might be offputting to some of the members of my family. then I fried em the next day in flour and black pepper. they were good, but I wouldn't rant and rave over them. just my taste I suppose, but I put a whole bunch in the freezer for cat bait...............the cats in Gibson really seem to like them in chunks, so free bait it is. :)

Rich

Atlantic Salmon smolts are a different life stage than parr, and should have no parr markings. While it could be easy to confuse a smolt with a smelt, of course, you won't find Atlantic Salmon smolts in the hundreds of thousands congregating in Ontario lakes or streams. So even though the comment was a joke, it still raises the point that species identification is important, especially with immature fish that may not have the same traits as an adult version of their species.

Smolt:

smolt_trim.jpg

Smelt:

AL0403-1217s.JPG

Parr:

Salmon_parr.jpg

Archived