Frustrated in Fort Erie

Dan Andrews

Has anyone else been stuck off the lake this year? It seems every time I find some time the winds are way up and it's inaccessible for the kayak. Sure there's the shallow bays but I want to fish for walleye.

Speaking of that was anyone from here at the mouth of the Upper Niagara yesterday morning. I saw these boats fishing in some pretty rough water when 3 or 4 cigar boats raced by. I said to my friend "look at those ignorant pricks flying so close by these little fishing boats". then about 20 more came and hung a left around the buoy and into Buffalo harbor. then about 20-30 more :o . Seemed to be a bit of a cigar boat race or something :D .

Well after all that a huge houseboat chugged by and left a huge wake and that's when I heard one guys motor roar up, did a high speed 180 and burned his backside out into the lake out of harms way.

I wish I could get a few calm days and put some walters in the yak. I'm really starting to hate the wind. I may just have to hit the surf and try anyway. Don't know how I'll land one but come hell or high water I'll be hitting the mouth soon ;)

make a sacrifice to the fishing gods, they demands worms on the altar ;) georgian bay is the same way with us and our boat, always just too much winds. gonna try to get up there this weekend, hopefully the lake allows you to fish soon.

I have had a few issues as well dan, it's tough when the only days you have off are the windy ones. When i get up to haliburton, most of the lakes I fish are smaller and have lots of tree cover so it has not been an issue for me up there, but the few times I have tried to get out on erie it has not cooperated. On really windy days I just head to the canal or w. river and paddle all the way upstream and drift back..let me know when you say screw it and you go out for some wally's I would like to maybe join ya

On windy days try the Welland River for eyes . I've found that the fish are more active at Quinte when there's a good chop on the water but it doesn't get rough like the big lakes in most places . Maybe you need a yacht instead of a yak ! B)

I was in PC at the beach yesterday, and was amazed by the lack of wind, and the size of the waves. The last time I was there it was windy, and the waves were good size. But for them to be breaking way out past the shallows like they were, without wind, I was rather impressed. Of course, I had fun playing in them like a five year old. B)

We were out there yesterday, ended up getting a 1.5lb eye and a 3+lb smallie, then the boat races started, they were coming soooo close to the boats out there it wasn't even funny. One just about lost it right beside a boat fishing as well, we said enough after they all came back.

The cigar boat poker run.1 or 2 beers per stop and you have an accident waiting to happen!They have money and not always brains so be carful when you see them coming.

The cigar boat poker run.1 or 2 beers per stop and you have an accident waiting to happen!They have money and not always brains so be carful when you see them coming.

They don't need brains. Just deep pockets to pay for high priced lawyers so they can get off the hook.

Has anyone else been stuck off the lake this year? It seems every time I find some time the winds are way up and it's inaccessible for the kayak...I wish I could get a few calm days and put some walters in the yak. I'm really starting to hate the wind.

i feel your pain chilli. i have been whining about the wind all summer. it is ridiculous!

last time we went to scugog the forecast said one thing and the actual weather said another-our yaks drifted down the bay so fast we might as well have been using a motor. didn't even need to paddle, literally just dipped the blade every now and then to stay straight to the wind. got about 5 1/3 casts in for the whole day. it was extremely frustrating, especially after the long drive and the extended periods kept off the water all summer.

as i have told my kids many times, usually while untangling my fly line from a tree or weed, 'sometimes i hate nature'.

Have been stuck on shore myself since last wednesday (when I got skunked) waiting for the wind to die down. Wouldn't mind a feed of pickeral before they are gone. Is there e general area in the river to fish for them. Thanks

I have to agree with you Dan. Both Sat. and Sun. of the past weekend were too windy to get out on the lake so I had to stay behind the break wall in Port Colborne and that area has been picked clean of fish by the cormorants.

yup, deffinitely sounds like a poker run. pretty much an excuse to stop at several locations to drink a few beers at each stop, but at each stop you get a card. at the last stop, the best poker hand wins the prizes. I've done a few of them in my buddy's 48' Donzi and it's a blast. not too good for guys on kayaks though, unless of course, you were intending to white water fish. LOL.

Well it was flatter then piss on a platter tonight. Headed out 2/3 of the way to the windmills from Waverly, circled the white buoy where I got snaged and back to waverly. fished a purple 20 jet 120-150 feet back with a Denis orange special there and a Zeigertail monkey puke back. Final score:

2 zebra muscles

1 gobie

2 tired arms and 1 B)

we blew the bottom end and the carb on our motor in june and just got it back from the shop. so we have been stuck tossin lines from shore ...

we also get the same ignorant boaters around here last season we almost got hit by a sailboat in the bay while we were at anchor.

road

Finally made it out Wednesday with my buddy and got 3 pickeral. felt we would have got more if we could have keep the perch of our lines. They must be starting up again. 6 mile out from Cedar Bay , 68 fow.

hey! we finally got out on wednesday too, although not close to home. we had to drive to our secret fishin' hole but it turned out it was worth the drive. (i had to disguise the photo to protect the innocent.)

10August18057-1.jpg

i have to tell ya - these things are FRUSTRATING. they follow you back to the yak, they circle the yak, they snap at the lures...and then they just swim away. grrrrr.

Archived