Signs Of Spring

Dan Andrews

Well this thread isn't generally started for another month but it happened on Friday while working on the canal gates. I saw my first turkey vulture of 2011. It's normal to see some birds such as robins when natural springs feed ditches and creeks but I've never seen a turkey vulture before April fools day before.

turkeyvulture.gif

What have you seen that is a normal sighting in spring. Lets add to this thread as we get on in the year.

Well this thread isn't generally started for another month but it happened on Friday while working on the canal gates. I saw my first turkey vulture of 2011. It's normal to see some birds such as robins when natural springs feed ditches and creeks but I've never seen a turkey vulture before April fools day before.

turkeyvulture.gif

What have you seen that is a normal sighting in spring. Lets add to this thread as we get on in the year.

There were a few lingering along the escarpment over the winter months. Same as some cormorants sticking around this winter.

Hey ah ....don't rush it old man ......it's only Feb.20th !!! Think ice ice ice ! Is the maple sap flowing yet ? I visited my garden and picked some old parsley and some thyme which had wintered over nicely under the snow . Oh yes...planted a few tomato seeds today to check for germination test . I went to my buds house to raid his pond for chubs today and saw a crow and a few hawks , but nothing in the spring catagory . And after drilling 9 holes , got a total of 2 small chubs !<_<

:th_fudd:.......:coldsmiley:

Hey ah ....don't rush it old man ......it's only Feb.20th !!! Think ice ice ice ! Is the maple sap flowing yet ? I visited my garden and picked some old parsley and some thyme which had wintered over nicely under the snow . Oh yes...planted a few tomato seeds today to check for germination test . I went to my buds house to raid his pond for chubs today and saw a crow and a few hawks , but nothing in the spring catagory . And after drilling 9 holes , got a total of 2 small chubs !<_<

:th_fudd:.......:coldsmiley:

I've already made 2litres of Maple Syrup. Yep, the trees are already flowing. Have been since Valentines day.

There's a maple tree across the road and it was trimmed by the city in the fall . We noticed these large icicles hanging from the tree about 3-4 weeks ago . No other trees had icicles so I thought it was maple sap . I snapped off one of them and brought it home for a taste test . Low & behold , it was actually sweet ! There was another one hanging from the tree yesterday but it melted today .

here's a photo of the tree with the sweet icicles......

icicle%20tree.jpg

On the way home from the rec.canal today , I saw a large group of deer scavaging in the warm sun ....must have been over 20 of them.

Deer%20feb23-2011.jpg

There's a maple tree across the road and it was trimmed by the city in the fall . We noticed these large icicles hanging from the tree about 3-4 weeks ago . No other trees had icicles so I thought it was maple sap . I snapped off one of them and brought it home for a taste test . Low & behold , it was actually sweet ! There was another one hanging from the tree yesterday but it melted today .

here's a photo of the tree with the sweet icicles......

icicle%20tree.jpg

On the way home from the rec.canal today , I saw a large group of deer scavaging in the warm sun ....must have been over 20 of them.

Deer%20feb23-2011.jpg

Ya, you can tap that tree. Sugar maple sap boils down best, but any maple can be used. You get about 40:1 sap to syrup.

I know Spring is almost here. . . my right arm is making strange swinging movements between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, and my fly vice is taunting me to do something with it.

My fishing buddy Jake, who got a load of fishing gear at Christmas is bugging me to go fishing too. . .

Yup, Spring is coming.

lets see.... I have been noticing some stuff just little things like longer days, and my flower pots are starting to tell me too start planting my chili pepper seeds soon, which I don't start till march break.

Ya, you can tap that tree. Sugar maple sap boils down best, but any maple can be used. You get about 40:1 sap to syrup.

40:1 is the sugar sap ratio for Sugar and Black maples. After that the ratios slide down to 80:1 with manitoba maples.

Believe it or not you can make a wine or syrup from birch sap, but the sugar ratio is almost 100:1

I used to tap and produce 2-3 gallons of syrup every year. I liked mine to be an amber grade. I used both the black kettle and an evaporator. Mine, and neighbouring kids, would have a blast come sugaring time.

Taking my trucks to Thorold for E tests today , I saw about 8 robins on Decew Rd. .....always on the north banks catching the warm sunshine . They show up every year about this time . Soon time to move the clocks ahead .......March 13.

Also saw a freshly killed raccoon at the side of the road.......

I'm back from hibernation... it's been ages since I have made a post here mainly because I haven't had much to say as I don't partake in ice fishing... :blahblah1:

Anyhoooo brought the camera with me yesterday while doing errands and I spotted this turkey vulture sitting on a fence post on the side of the road! Slammed on the brakes and rolled down the window.. didn't wanna open the door in case I spooked him. I grew up in the area where I saw this bird and had never seen one before this close!

TurkeyBuzzard2.jpg

The next couple of shots are of the Grand here in Brantford.. before and after :)

100_2900.jpg

100_2916.jpg

Good shot of the turkey vulture ! I have seen them eating a carcass close to the road but couldn't get a picture because traffic was behind me . What is all the stuff floating on the water ? How is Dad doing these days ?

Good shot of the turkey vulture ! I have seen them eating a carcass close to the road but couldn't get a picture because traffic was behind me . What is all the stuff floating on the water ? How is Dad doing these days ?

That stuff floating on the river would be the ice.. well it wasn't floating a week ago.. the river was pretty well gummed right up with a massive ice pack.

As for Dad.. not sure.. haven't seen or spoken to him in a couple of weeks.. last time I talked to him.. he said he was hibernating as well and not coming out til it got warm. :coldsmiley:

Saw some chickadees and sparrows hanging around the shrubbery near the office today. Don't usually see them there til closer to the end of March. The peregrines were out and about today too. At least one of them managed to hang around all winter: I could often hear its cry as it flew over.

It seems a little early for the vultures to return , but thinking more about it , I think they know there will be some road kill as winter ends and some animals come out of hiding . Maybe that's the reason they scan the road sides , for deer killed by cars or coyotes and now the coons and possum are appearing dead on the roads. With the snow almost gone , the hawks are feasting on mice along the ditches etc . I see lots of hawks in my area on the west outskirts of St.Kitts. But......don't put your snow shovels away yet ! B)

• 2 weeks later...

While picking up dog shi-doo today, a robin was serenading me from the top of a walnut tree . Nice to here them now , but they drive you nuts at 4 am everyday in the summer .crazy.gif

Archived