My First Attempt At Tying My Own Fly's

Seanook

Here are a few flies I tied yesterday. This is my first attempt and I am pretty pleased with the results. Think they should catch some fish....We shall see.

The Bellwood Caddis Nymph.

2013-03-17101425.jpg

Gartsides Maribou Minnow

2013-03-17100100.jpg

My self tied collection, so far

Includes (excluding the above) Puke Fly's, Dog Nobblers, Cat's whisker, Nuclear Eggs, Baby Dolls, Black Gnats and Thread Midges.

2013-03-17095859.jpg

great start....you like the white huh?? lol. I know all to well....its alot about the materials. I thought I had too much materials already, but never have what I need to tye a specific fly. Im going to start making a material list for the the flys Im most interested in learning. Good start though for sure.

Thanks Dave. The only reason I stopped was because I ran out of materials. Went straight out this morning and grabbed about 40 bucks worth of supplies, got home and realized that I forgot to buy more #8 hooks and zap-a gap!

Great start, Seanook! Blair is right on with the roadkill comment. Household pets too: just clean out the brush after using and you have great dubbing material. Don't forget the craft section of the dollar store where you can find foam, yarn, embroidery floss and sometimes feathers.

Don't sweat the colours too much. Very often its the suggestion of life and not the appearance of something that actually exists that counts. I caught the pike in my profile pic with a bright orange Zonker: not too many bright orange fish around here!

Don't forget to forage from the occasional ROAD KILL! (Materials)

lol

Nice work, for your first time.

Bet your creations entice some fish for sure.

Well done

Blair,

You are about the 10th person to suggest the roadkill materials route. LMAO!

I think I might just stick with the store bought treated skin and fur materials.

Aparrently that Caddis Nymph is a really productive little bugger. Gonna try it out this week as the bite has been a bit slow with my egg immitations and I ran out of Roe.

You will often find roadkill that you can't find (legally) by other means. Several years ago I came across a roadkill bluejay that supplied me with blue plumage for a year. You'll sometimes find opossum in stores, but rarely; however, you see them as roadkill all the time. Keeping your eyes peeled can reward you in other ways too. I once had

a tail feather from a juvenile peregrine that floated to the ground as I watched the bird rough-housing with one of its brood-mates.

Caddis nymphs are killers on trout streams the world over, and are a must for any serious trout angler's box. Yours will do just fine!

Great start, Seanook! Blair is right on with the roadkill comment. Household pets too: just clean out the brush after using and you have great dubbing material. Don't forget the craft section of the dollar store where you can find foam, yarn, embroidery floss and sometimes feathers.

Don't sweat the colours too much. Very often its the suggestion of life and not the appearance of something that actually exists that counts. I caught the pike in my profile pic with a bright orange Zonker: not too many bright orange fish around here!

Thanks Coach,

If I had pets I would be all over that suggestion. Will my friends and family think I have lost my marbles if I start turning up at their houses offering to brush their animals?

I am not overly concerned with colour schemes either. I was following the instructions laid out for me with the limited materials I had. Once I get all my gear together I'm gonna experiment a little. Add some antennae, a beard or legs in any colour I choose. Really like anything in chartruse, bright green or a blue and white combo.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Just not committed enough to this hobby to start pulling over on the side of the road and plucking bits off critters.....But that's just me. Maybe once I see some results from fly's of that type it won't be uncommon to see my eyes glowing as I stand over a carcass in the reflection of oncoming headlights on roadsides!

Folks in these parts might think I'm on the "Bath Salts"

Looks like you attended an Ian James session?

He is a great instructor with patterns that work.

Nice flies you have tied!

Good call!

Best money I have spent in quite some time. Went home after and immediately started tying more. The man is good for sure

That caddis cost me a nice digital camera - steelie ate it, ran down stream and under a big log so naturally I followed.

Unfortunately my camera was around my neck and got soaked when I went under the log.. Then the fish got away.

Now I have a water proof camera.

Those flys look great.

I haven't tied any flies in over 8yrs. Left everything back in Scotland. The first fly i tied was a white marabou fritz and cats whiskers caught me plenty of stockies. Wasn't until i learned to tie pheasant tails before i was managing to catch browns.

Was very relaxing and i enjoyed getting to try different iterations of the same fly and the flexibility you had tying it yourself.

Looks like you are off to a great start.

It's even more satisfying catching something on your own creation

This is a horned caddis emerger iteration

CadEmSm_zps119e15f4.jpg

Wow......That's pretty sweet CC. Had to do a double take at that one. Very lifelike.........In comparison.........Mine really do suck. Lol.

Seanook,

if road kill is not a quick and easy way to expand your collection of material, check with either co-workers, family or friends for someone who hunts. I have more duck, goose, grouse, pheasant feathers and deer hair than I will use in the next 2 years and I asking for more when they can give it to me.

my 2 cents

pretty nice flies congrats on the skills, I know it took me almost 2 years to be confident in what I tied.

Wow......That's pretty sweet CC. Had to do a double take at that one. Very lifelike.........In comparison.........Mine really do suck. Lol.

I'm always appreciative of guys who tie man...yours are lookin good and I bet they'll catch fish, which after all, is what they are meant to do... :D

Keep it up man

cc

Thanks CC.

Just looking to expand my horizons.

Fishing and all it's techniques have always been a big part of my life, so why not try em all.

Tying our own fly's and DIY tackle, then catching fish on our creations is seemingly one of the most gratifying aspects of angling I can think of.

I think I have picked up something that I will probably do for a long time to come.

Come down to Niagara in the summer and you can collect all the feathers you could ever use. With all the duck, geese and swans constantly dropping feathers in the parks you can pick up a grocery bag in an hour. I got some very nice ones last year though my pile is getting a bit thin and picked through now.

Come down to Niagara in the summer and you can collect all the feathers you could ever use. With all the duck, geese and swans constantly dropping feathers in the parks you can pick up a grocery bag in an hour. I got some very nice ones last year though my pile is getting a bit thin and picked through now.

Funny you mention that....was just thinking about something like that. There is a petting zoo very close to my house with all sorts of exotic birds including peacocks and the mix. I was thinking of asking them for some of the dropped feathers...I know they must have tons and could probably get a great variety.

Funny you mention that....was just thinking about something like that. There is a petting zoo very close to my house with all sorts of exotic birds including peacocks and the mix. I was thinking of asking them for some of the dropped feathers...I know they must have tons and could probably get a great variety.

That's a great idea Dave. I know a few pet stores in my area with some exotic birds also. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Nice work. I like to consider myself the "MacGyver" of fly tying. I have used everything from old twine, to cotton furniture stuffing, to clear plastic bags that tying materials come in. I love the plastic to use as a scud back; color it with markers and put a bit of laquer on it and it looks fantastic.

keep up the good work hommie

Archived