Welland River Weekend

basskicker09

I find this happening more and more around waters. At henley, the rowers love aiming for fishing lines,...

oh yeah. that's right. it's august now so it's time for the annual hate-on-the-rowers threads. don't know about you but i am willing to bet that the rowers are not keen on aiming their $10,000-$30,000 racing shells at your $10 walmart fishing rig for kicks. i know my kids weren't when they were rowing. for one thing - THEY ARE FACING BACKWARDS so kinda hard to steer right at your little red and white bobber. and another thing - they have right-of-way on the HENLEY ROWING COURSE and WELLAND FLATWATER RACING COURSE so be a nice guest or they may not invite you back. ('guest' in this case may be defined as someone who uses the facilities without returning the hundreds of thousands of dollars back to the city that the rowing/racing facilites provide) but then again, we go through this nonsense every year and i should have known better then to check the forum in august...

I hope it isn't another small spot that will soon be fished out. Almost 500 views on this thread and guys probably on google earth right after. I don't mind sharing information but have caught a few lately and pleasantly surprised since I grew up fishing Chippewa Creek/Welland River and nice to see a few walleye.

I'm surprised we haven't got the "how do I get there from Hamilton" posts yet.

now, as far as this welland river thread goes, i happen to be from hamilton, and as such was wondering how you get to this 'secret hotspot' that is this welland river cuz i never would have known it existed until those guys posted their trophy shots. (that was sarcasm but i have yet to find a sarcasm font to assist with these types of posts.) all i ask, mooseslayer, is that you make sure you stay in welland and don't try to crowd in on anyone else's 'personal space' when you go road tripping or vacationing cuz we now know how bothersome that can be, thanks to your post.

and, in conclusion, we, the members of this board, as represented by the few who posted these opinions, want full access to other people's space (henley/welland race courses) and yet want no one else to have access to their personal space (welland river). does that look as silly in print as it did when i said it out loud?

p.s. Rob D. Thanks for the pics. It looks like you enjoyed a nice day on the water. Sorry for the rest of the nonsense.

What do u all expect u put it on a public web site . might as well killed the river in one post . there is a guy in a little alum boat I tryed to talk to he asked if I was a nfn member when I said yes he told me beat it and would not talk any more .

Wow Ola...looks like you are pissed at everyone. I have personally seen small fishing spots go from obscure to crowded after posts that show exact locations so excuse me for being a bit concerned. The first spot I caught walleye from shore on the river went from a couple guys doing well (and releasing most) to a bunch of guys keeping everything and in a short time you couldn't get a fish there. Also the garbage after was disgusting.

I didn't mean to pick on Hamilton...I guess you are a bit sensitive about it, just saying that this thread has now close to 900 hits and if it were only viewed by NFN members it would be one thing, but anyone from anywhere could zone in on a small fishing area.

I had a friend take me to an off the path good fishing spot but he asked me to keep it to myself and I wouldn't even tell my brother where it was because I promised to keep it secret. That wasn't so we could rape and pillage all alone as much as to keep it pristine and fun to go to without crowds of people, some of which are ignorant to the general respect and distance that should be given to other anglers. I will often go to a spot that I may catch less fish, just for peace and quiet that I really love.

I have never fished near the rowers anywhere so I can't address it, but obviously you think us fishermen with our "$10 walmart fishing rigs" are beneath you.

Good luck in your endeavors.

well mooseslayer, i personally like to think that those 900 posts are from my loyal fans following my witty posts.

and the main thing that i get annoyed with is the way people are constantly jumped all over whenever they try to post anything fishing-related like a fishing report and maybe even a couple pics, which is odd when you think about it since this is a fishing forum...

i will backtrack on the $10 walmart outfits though since i have since recalled that i outfitted all the kids with $25 shimano outfits from walmart years ago and although they have moved on to other gear, we still have and use those outfits occasionally so kudos to shimano and the old walmart that used to have good fishing sections.

(and wouldn't you be sensitive if you had to tell people that you were from hamilton?)

Everyone just think about all the efforts put in by the conservation club in stocking etc ... They spent alot of hard earned money there !!! Ppl will be ppl and poachers will be poachers but if you fish the river and catch pickerel maybe think twice about whether or not u " need " to keep that fish ! Only my opinion but I've never kept a fish from there!! As a fisherman and avid outdoorsman I feel it's my obligation to realease most of the fish I catch ! If u need to catch fish to eat there's many other species that can sustain numbers being taken on a regular ! Stick to those fish they are just as tasty ! Now back to the fishing !!

Everyone just think about all the efforts put in by the conservation club in stocking etc ... They spent alot of hard earned money there !!! Ppl will be ppl and poachers will be poachers but if you fish the river and catch pickerel maybe think twice about whether or not u " need " to keep that fish ! Only my opinion but I've never kept a fish from there!! As a fisherman and avid outdoorsman I feel it's my obligation to realease most of the fish I catch ! If u need to catch fish to eat there's many other species that can sustain numbers being taken on a regular ! Stick to those fish they are just as tasty ! Now back to the fishing !!

Well said Buckshot...

Good points Buckshot. I have no problem with someone keeping a few but the little ones and the big ones go back. The problem with announcing a spot to the world is that you attract people of like thinking, but also those who will do whatever they want and don't care the efforts made to restore a fishery (which I really applaud as well). If you are out on Lake Erie...keep your limit if you want to as there is a viable and thriving fishery. Your point about whether you "need" that fish, especially on a smaller fishing are, is a good one.

I fish it every single weekend and do ok and there is always at least five or more boats fishing there as well its been getting better and better every year so I highly doubt it will ever get fished out or there would be tighter regs on them! if u don't like the reports I post don't read them! and why be on a public fishing forum if u are only hear to complain cuz u sure don't make many reports!

MNR have been socking the welland river since 05' I think, something like 200,000 walleye. They were native to the river but died off due to pollution and over fishing. The river is cleaned and the fish are loving it one small step :)

If it was overfished then what will it be like after they see these pictures?

The good thing about this spot is it's hard to really fish it from shore so to be in the " right" spots a boat is required ! I hope it gets better and better each year abd it' seems to be doing just that !

And those fish in my profile pic are NOT from the river they were from last year on Erie , it was my wife first time catching eyes on jets/ big rods etc ... She's used to up north picks... Lol she had a blast tho

I fish it every single weekend and do ok and there is always at least five or more boats fishing there as well its been getting better and better every year so I highly doubt it will ever get fished out or there would be tighter regs on them! if u don't like the reports I post don't read them! and why be on a public fishing forum if u are only hear to complain cuz u sure don't make many reports!

They never thought that the Grand Banks fishing would collapse and it was controlled.

The www is here to stay ....info travels at the speed of light & reaches thousands of people in our immediate area . We have gps , way points , lake structure/depth apps , fish finders , electric down riggers & state of the art lures with laser sharp hooks . Sooner or later the catch & keep limits will be reduced since the art of fishing has gone electronic . Many anglers cannot fish without them . My biggest beef is when the low lifes are given free info where the good fishing spots are & the garbage starts to pile up ! Jordan is sickening ,as usual .....As the Welland river sees more boaters of all shapes & sizes , with no speed limits or concern for large wakes , accidents will happen sooner or later . Even ice fishing there is dangerous as sledders come flying around the bends at 100 km. Times have changed , so we must take things as they come ....we have a choice where we like to fish .....

@Ola

1. I do not fish on the regatta grounds, I fish on public grounds.

2. Henley owns the pond as much as a marina owns the entire lake.

3. Having friends that are or have been rowers and talk about how much they love to piss off fisherman is the basis, including some coxes telling their team "let's screw with fishermen".

4. I check events listings for the rowers and I do not fish during their usual hours, nor do I try to fish during regattas. So to imply I am trying to attack the rowers is incorrect. FYI I have also contacted the rowing club and the person informed me that after 8pm, the club and times for training are technically closed. I fish from 8 until dark.

I make sure I am an informed fisherman and adhere to rules and regulations of public places. So to try to attack my post is not neccessary. I am not attacking rowers at all, merely stating a point that there are individuals out there in communities that do shine a negative light on things. There are coxes that are dbag, there are fishermen who think they are above the rules, and there are rec boaters who are a-holes. Every group usually has a few.

Oh and to the OP, great report!

Perhaps, in order to protect everybodies' special honey holes, we should petition the MNR to simply ban the existence of fishing forums. It won't solve anything, Won't fix anything. Nothing will change, but then there will be one less thing for folks to whine about.

P.S. While your at it, you should petition to ban all fishing shows in Ontario. Especially the ones that showcase fishing spots in Niagara.

Time to put an end to this NIMBY argument.

Archived