I Guess If It Looks Like A Deer At 3Oo Yards, U Can Shoot At It?

Slevin

Charges have been dropped against former NHLer Stan Jonathan in connection with the 2012 death of a Hamilton man who was shot while hunting on Six Nations.

In Superior Court on Thursday, Crown attorney George Orsini told the judge there wasn't sufficient evidence for a criminal conviction.

Orsini said Jonathan, 59, was out on Third Line Road in Ohsweken on the morning of Nov. 11, 2012 when he spotted what he thought was a buck and shot at it from a distance of about 300 yards.

Orsini said when Jonathan went to retrieve the animal, he discovered it was a man who was wearing camouflage clothing.

Peter Kosid, 29, who was bow hunting in the bush, with permission, on an acquaintance's land, died after being shot in the back.

Orsini said Jonathan called 911, closed the victim's eyes, and he and his brother said a prayer for the man.

“There is no question he thought he was shooting a deer,” said Orsini. “It is a very tragic circumstance.”

Jonathan was committed to stand trial back in October following a preliminary hearing. He had been charged with criminal negligence causing death and careless use of a firearm.

An early discovery by Don Cherry, Jonathan was drafted by the Boston Bruins in 1975 and later played for the Pittsburgh Penquins. He was nicknamed Bulldog and known for his offensive game and toughness.

on line today st Cath, paper

Very sad.

it is sad but it just don't make any sense to me if he is shooting a rifle at 300 yards he must of had a scope on that rifle and he couldn't tell

it was a man just don't add up

We will never know if it was outright murder or a very careless hunter who shot at "something" he "thought" was a deer . At the very least he should have been convicted of careless use of a deadly weapon causing death .......anywhere from 5 to 10 years in my books .

...an older story with more info .....

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2243173--one-careless-shot-and-my-husband-is-taken-away-from-me-/

That is just plain ridiculous.

First question should be why was he shooting at something he couldn't clearly identify. Last time I checked bucks have antlers, walk on four legs, and are brown. A man bowhunting in camouflage doesn't have antlers, walks on two legs, and at 300 years should not be clearly identifiable. He may have been able to see movement at that distance, but should not have been able to identify what he was shooting at.

Second question is did he have permission to hunt the property and if so why did the two hunters not know about each other?

When I got my first gun , a 20 gauge Cooey , I was told , don't even point the gun at something that you do not know .....We must know what kind of duck we are shooting , what kind of moose ...calf , doe or bull , etc . Shooting another human is just plain careless and negligent . Jail time should be mandatory and a complete investigation in case it was planned . Was the shooter (killer) sober ? If not , it should be treated like a drink driver killing someone ....jail .

it is sad but it just don't make any sense to me if he is shooting a rifle at 300 yards he must of had a scope on that rifle and he couldn't tell

it was a man just don't add up

I served 22 years in the military, we shot 100, 200, 300 yards and further without a scope using the FN rifle.

I served 22 years in the military, we shot 100, 200, 300 yards and further without a scope using the FN rifle.

WOW that's impressive the thing is even if he didn't have a scope he should have at least checked with binoculars one of the very first thing as a hunter you should always

be sure of your target

It is. Its supposed to be muzzleloaders and shotguns for a week in November, and the bowhunt is shut down at that time. Stan Jonathan was hunting with the wrong weapon at the wrong time.

For the safety of archers, bow hunting season should be separate from the rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader hunting season.

It is you cant bow hunt when the gun season is on he was hunting on the reserve but the natives can shoot what they wan't when they wan't

Don't think it was in Ontario.

It was Ontario . Six Nations reserve to be exact. Different laws apply there. Outside the reservation in that area hunters aren't allowed to use 270 cal rifles.

I agree Bubba, he admitted it. You're supposed to know what you are shooting at. Should have been at least a careless discharge or more. Doesn't make sense

When u hunt, aren't u suppose to where orange?

The only time you need orange is when you are hunting the shot gun season the natives can hunt deer with a rifle at any time so in other words there rules

don't apply to our's

That's brutal, I always carry my turkey decoys in an orange mesh bag getting to my spot. I know people are excited to fill their tag but there are no excuses for this. It's a great responsibility to be able to hunt , not a right. Thanks for sharing that

It's interesting that a white person was found not guilty of murdering a native woman here in Ontario and the natives closed down 3 lanes of Main St in downtown Hamilton to beat on drums and protest. Meanwhile this one here, while it made the news will be swept under the rug.

For everybody talking guns, bows, orange, camo, etc. They were both hunting on the reserve, which does not follow Ontario hunting regulations. The fellow who was killed was hunting during the "bow season" for Ontario and not required to wear orange. The fellow with the gun was more than within his rights to be gun hunting on the land he was on.

We'll never know whether there was or was not a deer. We'll never know whether it was intentional or not. My personal feeling was that Stan Jonathon didn't expect there to be someone else hunting, saw movement and shot. Most likely an assumption and poor choice to shoot.

It's interesting that a white person was found not guilty of murdering a native woman here in Ontario and the natives closed down 3 lanes of Main St in downtown Hamilton to beat on drums and protest. Meanwhile this one here, while it made the news will be swept under the rug.

For everybody talking guns, bows, orange, camo, etc. They were both hunting on the reserve, which does not follow Ontario hunting regulations. The fellow who was killed was hunting during the "bow season" for Ontario and not required to wear orange. The fellow with the gun was more than within his rights to be gun hunting on the land he was on.

We'll never know whether there was or was not a deer. We'll never know whether it was intentional or not. My personal feeling was that Stan Jonathon didn't expect there to be someone else hunting, saw movement and shot. Most likely an assumption and poor choice to shoot.

Poor choice to shoot..... Assumption..... Charges dropped.

He should be looking at manslaughter, careless discharge of a firearm.....

Nope he walks free... Something stinks here... Yet more two tier politics on 6nations

G

Poor choice to shoot..... Assumption..... Charges dropped.

He should be looking at manslaughter, careless discharge of a firearm.....

Nope he walks free... Something stinks here... Yet more two tier politics on 6nations

G

It's almost a guarantee they don't wan't to get the natives in an uproar as they will start digging up roads beating up people and have to have the opp babysit them again it will cost the government to much money so take the easy way out drop all charges and there will be no problems .But if it was a white man that did this nothing would have been dropped

I'm not looking at this as a white - FN thing .....it is careless discharge of a firearm resulting in the death of a human being . The charges should run on this merit as there is no excuse for this to happen , even if booze was a factor ......I'm sure the dead mans family would like to see some punishment handed out .

Archived