Word On The Street

gunner-2

i wen't to get Tim Hortons this morning had my camo coat on and a guy asked me if i was hunting

i said no why do you ask he told me there neighbor had a dog attacked by 4 coyotes last night

then found out it happened just across the creek from us then someone said there was a cat killed

by coyotes the night before i new it was just a matter of time

I had three in my backyard yesterday afternoon. I let the dog out lit my smoke and the dog started going nuts I looked up and there was three of em 50 ft away in the backyard.(backyards unfunded and live by CT on glendale) two were big and one was just a Lil guy poss from this past yrs litter maybe. They didn't even spook till I started to walk towards them. Crossbows at the back door now

The MNR should be looking into the coyote population and arranging a meeting for the people having problems with the yotes . Unfortunately , we cannot always rely on mother nature to balance the wildlife populations when one species overtakes the land by eliminating other species ( birds ,rabbits , etc) . A small dog or cat is just another "rabbit" to them . People will need to keep a very close watch on their pets . One of the problems is there is a lot of private (no hunting) land these days which makes it easier for the coyotes to breed .

Years ago I heard a lot about " big " yotes called coy-dogs ..... Is this term still relevant these days ?

The MNR should be looking into the coyote population and arranging a meeting for the people having problems with the yotes . Unfortunately , we cannot always rely on mother nature to balance the wildlife populations when one species overtakes the land by eliminating other species ( birds ,rabbits , etc) . A small dog or cat is just another "rabbit" to them . People will need to keep a very close watch on their pets . One of the problems is there is a lot of private (no hunting) land these days which makes it easier for the coyotes to breed .

Years ago I heard a lot about " big " yotes called coy-dogs ..... Is this term still relevant these days

i'm told that they are not compatible so it's hard to determine if i'ts true or not but i can tell you they are getting bigger

That's a horrible way to have lost a pet but im not all that surprised either. My house backs onto a piece of bush owned by Port C. That property is conected to the wainfleet bog giving the coyotes a path straight to my back door step. Just about every other night you can hear them yapping and barking up a stom just outside the back gate. I assume they have been hunting the stray cats in the area because during the summer they were everywhere and now I dont see any of them anymore. The tracks are definitely much larger then those I saw on my uncles farm in pelham as a child. Living where I do it makes it difficult to deal with the yote problem and Im not sure what to do to try and keep then away.

The property i have permission to hunt on has been ravaged by yotes so I plan on making my first venture into predator hunting. I know the land owner would much appreciate it and I would get some fur out of the deal.

I've been reading on animal migration and have seen stories of mountain lions making the journey from montana to Massachusetts or wolves migrating from British Columbia to California to make the first wolf pack in the state for over 100 years. So would it be completely out of the question to think that wolves from northern ontario have made their way to niagara. Breeding with the coyote stock and in turn making larger and more aggressive coyotes

Guest brookie slayer

There called coywolves. Watch the nature of things. Good show on the yotes in and around Toronto.

Think they said they crossbred up north around Algonquin park and have slowly moved

down south.

Coy wolves and coy dogs are not the same. Coyotes mating with wild dogs is and does happen. I can tell you that we (guelph) have had many meetings due to the coyotes in the area. Unfortunately so many coyotes are now in city limits or in areas where the discharge of a firearm is illegal. Although crossbows don't shoot over 500 fps the bylaws almost everywhere now include pellet guns BB guns crossbow long bow and crossbow. The bylaw was written to stop the people who decide it's okay to shoot in their backyard at a target with a neighbour 30 feet away. So the conclusion of all the meetings is to live in harmony. Don't leave garbage outside. Keep an eye on your pets and small children. I am not saying I agree with it but just stating the facts. I hunt coyotes regularly and can tell you they are smart as heck. Good luck with your situation.

Steve

My buddy who moved near the Bancroft area was out hunting snowshoes last week with his beagle, and his dog was attacked right in front of him at 30 yards. He shot it twice in the face with #6 shot and it just ran away unaffected by it.

I live in Fonthill, I had coywolf tracks on my driveway and both sides of my house several days ago, Its paws were 4 inches front to back and the distance between front and back feet was 39 inches. I saw coywolf in front of my house at dawn 3 years ago, it was a beautiful animal. Last Spring I let our obese cat out at 6 am, I called for it 15 minutes later and never saw it again.

I've had these dogs in my back yard all winter this year. Mostly after dark but the neighbour told me of a 1:30pm visit last week. I leave no food but I know there's a bunch of neighbours feeding deer etc. You can't feed anything outside without coyotes getting a taste. I'm actually glad they're here because they keep the cat pop at bay.

My dog is pretty smart. He knows they're around long before I do. Yes they're getting ballsier. I chase them out of the yard but there's one big one that only keep a 25 yard distance. If they could just keep the hollering down after 11pm I'd be happy.

With everyone being wired with technology these days it sure would be nice to see some of these close encounters with pictures

Archived